Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Title

• OP is a gigantic fag

Votes: 163 48.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • Of course, Torment as a series has always been shit, its expected.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Nah, the pissbaby butthurt gigameltdown would cause legions of self ejections

Votes: 31 9.2%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 93 27.7%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Amn Nom

Learned
This is the Codex, where everything is shit. The only real question is how it rates on the shit scale.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
TToN is too big to fail

More concerned about horrible crippling bugs than it being shit by design, they seem to have their minds in the right place

This is the Codex, where everything is shit. The only real question is how it rates on the shit scale.
:salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The Codex feeds from shit drama and butthurt, so the codex will be fine. The codex is always fine.

Individual posters may succumb to meltdowns though :D

The worst case scenario will be for TtoN to just be mediocre all around. I don't care for bugs or imbalance, all I care is that it has glimpses of brilliance here and there.

Last edited:

Trip

Learned
The worst case scenario will be for TtoN to just be mediocre all around. I don't care for bugs or imbalance, all I care is that it has glimpses of brilliance here and there.

My expectations as well. PS: T was a formative gaming (and storytelling) experience for me at the time, as were (and are) Viriconium and The Book of the New Sun in the pure narrative department, and T: TTON is a cross of both, so in theory my hands should be trembling right now. Still, I'm more willing to see it as a step along a path. Flashes is what I expect, not awesomeness all round.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
The butthurt won't be as immitent as with PoE for a few reasons:

The lack of Roguey / JES dynamic duo

People who were eligible to rage or snap already did so with PoE, you know a volcano takes time to build it's power

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Theres no one here with a Sensuki-esque connection to the game to go batshit if it doesn't turn out well.

Not yet, at least... +M

I expect there to be some amount of people for whom the story and writing just won't click the way PS:T did. They'll think it's boring or derivative or unimaginative or whatever.

Will pure story be enough to trigger massive butthurt on the Codex, like a more monocled version of what happen with Mass Effect 3's ending? We'll see.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
PS:T was always a case of good writing - bad gameplay, so I think shitty gameplay is to be expected to some degree. It's anyone's guess whether or not the writing will save it.

That said, the dismal failures of Wasteland2 and Pillars of Banality has lowered the codex expectations enough that TToNs failure will just be another blip on the radar. We have a new crop of indie heroes to lavish our affections on. The age of MCA is over.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PS:T was always a case of good writing - bad gameplay, so I think shitty gameplay is to be expected to some degree. It's anyone's guess whether or not the writing will save it.

That said, the dismal failures of Wasteland2 and Pillars of Banality has lowered the codex expectations enough that TToNs failure will just be another blip on the radar. We have a new crop of indie heroes to lavish our affections on. The age of MCA is over.
Dismal failures hahahaha ... Edgy much?

Nah T:ToN will be fine, it's turn-based after all so it can't really fail too much. Usually the butthurt comes from RTwP and people that exploit it and then complain

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now imagine it being real-time. Not even playable. At least they had a good basis, now that they will add precision shots and fix the encounters and possibly the AI too, it'll go from mediocre to gud.

I'm sure it will have tons of bugs at launch. I'm also sure they will all be ironed and it will be a good game. Hope it will be great but no game in the world can mach PS:T.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, but I don't think people are going to be all that picky about a system in a game where most combats are full of heavily scripted suis generis stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You can't min-max.
No XP for kills.
"Level up" features six levels and you'll only gain 5 more abilities for your class and 5 for your focus.

None of these things is a problem in a Torment game.

But I don't think the term "short as balls" has ever been used. :M

Cthulhu_is_love

Sorry, but let's talk clearly: ToN won't live up to the expectations.
Cause the relation betwenn PS:T and ToN will be like this:
WL1 --->WL2
BG2 --->PoE
PS:T --->ToN

It won't hurt me, cause we won: There will be no PS:T 2 rape action.
But of course the codex will cry like lil bitchez cause thats what the codex does.
Also the hate for Fargo will intensify.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ToN won't live up to the expectations.
And what if it will?

I really think it's possible. WL2 was criticized mainly for its simplistic combat, archaic dialogue system and bugginess. TToN will have a more complex combat system, crazy branching conversation trees, (presumably) well-designed encounters and it's based on PoE tech already tested by Obsidian which leaves less room for game-breaking bugs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, but I don't think people are going to be all that picky about a system in a game where most combats are full of heavily scripted suis generis stuff.

Well if they're adapting the system from Numenera that means:

You can't min-max.
No XP for kills.
"Level up" features six levels and you'll only gain 5 more abilities for your class and 5 for your focus.

Also they've stated the game is short as balls and entirely designed around replaying it.
If you say there is not min maxing I think you have not played or run Numenera. I ran 2 campaigns and there is certainly min maxing.

True for no XP for combat, except if players are doing to good and you give them XP with GM intrusions just to make it more challenging :D

Level up is more free form than that. To go up a rank you need to gather 16xp but each 4xp lets you but an upgrade for your character. There are 4 basic things you can upgrade but you can exchange any of those 4 things to get more "class" abilities or upgrade any other ability (class or focus).
Now I don't know if TToN will allow this, I hope it will, but the base system for sure allows lots of combinations.

And you can gain about 4xp per productive session so on average you will get to max rank in 20 sessions (although in my experience it takes double that). But that does not take into account spending XP for things other than leveling up, and there are lots of such options.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you min-max in Numenera you're fucking dumb though. You can take damage on all of your pools so you can go from fine with 30 might but then you take 9 int damage and boom, debilitated.
Losing one pool only gives a small penalty. And pools are not the only thing to min max, it is super easy to get lots of Speed defense at start, some spells are pretty OP (like Stasis) and there are combinations like being able to see in the dark + being able to remove light in the area. Also you can get lots of armor with few combinations making you almost immune to physical damage.

Saduj

Arcane
As others have touched on already, the premise behind this thread is flawed.

If ToN is utter shit, The Codex will unite in righteous rage. Wouldn't cause any more harm than Fallout 3.

In order to cause maximum butthurt, ToN would need to be mediocre. Some people would be naturally inclined to say the game is better than it is. And others will be inclined to say the game is worse than it is. The two sides will rage at one another, much to the delight of most Codexers.

The worst thing that could happen to The Codex would be for ToN to be the perfect CRPG. There would be nothing left to talk about. The likeliness of this happening is very slim, but not impossible since they did decide to make the game turn based.

Andnjord

Arcane
The worst thing that could happen to The Codex would be for ToN to be the perfect CRPG. There would be nothing left to talk about. The likeliness of this happening is very slim, but not impossible since they did decide to make the game turn based.
The likeness of it happening is none, we all know Grimoire is the perfect Cleve given cRPG to end all others and we all know it will never be released be released on Thursday. Thus the sanctity of the Codex will be preserved for ever.

Whatever happens with Tides of Numenera (despite me reaaaaaally hopping it will be good) it already brought us something good. We will (most likely, because you never know what the Decline could bring unto us) never see the likes of this (brofists to whoever made this in the first place)
45d4f0da579d21e93eb10c121e823a.jpg

We can be thankful to Brian for sparring us this misery.

KK1001

Arbiter
It'll be a well-designed game crippled by inExile's technical ineptitude and the trashy Unity engine. Each play-through will be 8 hours and their excuse will be "man, there's like, 6 different ways you can play through this!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom