Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
tumbleweed.gifc200ogqv5.gif

What are some good WiiU exclusives, can the console be used to play extended demos, can you run emulators on it?

The last Nintendo game that I beat was the Game and Watch version of Donkey Kong

Last edited:

stray

Learned
tumbleweed.gifc200ogqv5.gif

What are some good WiiU exclusives, can the console be used to play extended demos, can you run emulators on it?

The last Nintendo game that I beat was the Game and Watch version of Donkey Kong

I heard the Nintendo licenses are still the main things they have.

It has a Bayonetta exclusive though.

Nintendo needs to just stop trying to be different and come out with a straightforward machine.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

I'm tempting to try out Super Mario Maker, but eh, Wii U, not gonna buy it now.

Duraframe300

Arcane
DKC2 is the best designed game I have ever played, shits all over Codex favorites such as Fallout and Deus Ex.

:hmmm:

That's..... not exactly surprising. Overall Nintendo platformers are some of the best overall designed games to exist.

And you're comparing it to a gerne where a decent argument can be made to not even strive for perfection as you easily end up with a failure or bland gameplay.

I mean whats your point here?

stray

Learned
There's hardly anything I can say about their games that's bad. It's their hardware strategy.

All things being equal (where they and Sony both just made straightforward consoles), they'd be the leaders in that market.

It's probably a wider issue though.. everyone keeps wanting to move to different paradigms, but it's failing. Tablets aren't "killing PCs", and niche interfaces won't get rid of a typical game controller.

pippin

The main complaints I have about Nintendo are the same I have about any major company, to be honest: fucked up sense of ownership and DRM, region locking digital purchases, not caring about backwards compatibility, recycling IPs, etc.
Other than that, I must admit they are the leaders of the business, not because of sales numbers, but because they are wise enough to save money for a rainy day.

Machocruz

Arcane
All they would have to do is come out with competitive hardware, and provided that got third parties back on board, it would be lights out for MicroSony. Console games would still be mostly banalshitboring theme parks and interactive televitz, but maybe the presence of Nintendo games competing with their shit would force some developers to up their game and/or stop with the edgy brown stuff.

Super Mario Maker is brilliant, btw.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All they would have to do is come out with competitive hardware, and provided that got third parties back on board, it would be lights out for MicroSony. Console games would still be mostly banalshitboring theme parks and interactive televitz, but maybe the presence of Nintendo games competing with their shit would force some developers to up their game and/or stop with the edgy brown stuff.

They had that in N64 and GC era and they still sucked donkey's balls, so no, having more competent hardware and/or third party support wouldn't really help them.

Machocruz

Arcane
They had that in N64 and GC era and they still sucked donkey's balls, so no, having more competent hardware and/or third party support wouldn't really help them.
They had shit for 3rd party support on both systems compared to their former consoles and compared to Sony's, and their first party had some major gaps (no 2D Mario, no Metroid). They didn't have the 3rd parties putting their best foot forward- no Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Silent Hill; they got a shitty Castlevania, some too-late ports of Resident Evil games. N64 was also cartridge based, which was not regarded as being competitive with the PS1's CD format. And while the hardware was technically more powerful, the games didn't impress in terms of cool spectacle while people were losing their minds over a single summon in FFVII. GC had a bit better 3rd party support, but it had inherited the bad will leftover from N64, came out looking like a toy, didn't offer DVD playback, etc. so neither was it competitive in the eyes of the populace. On top of all that they lost the image war to Playstation, which was seen as the "hip" console for grown ups.

When I say competitive hardware, I'm not just talking about graphical performance, but also features, what the console looks like, what "attitude" it is projecting.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am completely aware about all of these things but you have probably nailed the most important one - IMAGE. They have always tried to stay family friendly and it seems that they are now forced to eat their own shit up. I just disagree that they could, even in some parallel universe where they make all of the right decisions, overwrite their kiddy image that was being built for more than several decades.

stray

Learned
N64 was niche in it's own right too (too much 3d too soon), and GC was weak (and not to mention, looked like a Fisher Price toy). I'm saying they should just make something on par with MS and Sony.. It's the Nintendo brand that would kill them... in addition to swallowing up the JP games that make their home on those two these days. They would easily have Nintendo ports on a console like that.

pippin

N64 was not niche, it was a failed product. They spent way too many time hyping the Project Ultra 64, had this problem which eventually ended up creating its biggest competitor by rejecting CDs, and in the end I think it was the moment where Nintendo was solidified as a family friendly company. Sony was shameless when it came to publishing games with tits, ass, blood and violence. The Game Cube is decent, but it was too late for Nintendo. Their handhelds are quite good though, the GBA might be Nintendo's best handheld ever.

stray

Learned
I mean Niche in that it didn't feel well rounded when it came out. I felt like I had to play specific types of games with it.

Some of them were great, but it probably helped Sony grab that huge market (especially after Sega wasn't coming out with many cool games).

pippin

Sega was always bad imo. Nintendo had the American market, and trying to kick them out of there with basically the same product was not the most intelligent strategy. Sega's systems were more popular in some european countries like the UK iirc, however. Besides, when you realize how bad Sonic games are these days, you also happen to realize how shitty they always were in retrospective. It's not a cheap attempt at trolling. Sonic's level design was not that good, and it was made worse when all that oh so fast speed could make you suffer really cheap deaths for not landing some jumps or races properly or that kind of things. Mario was simply better. The Mortal Kombat Incident ("real blood" vs something I assumed was snot at the time :P) wasn't really a factor, because the SNES port of MK2 is legendary.

stray

Learned
Actually Sega has come out with some decent shit since. Bayonetta, Valkyria, Yakuza, Vanquish

Can't speak for Alpha Protocol or Total Wars after Medieval...

Anyways, I was a Sega fan then.. and I bought the Saturn lol. But for some reason, I got smart and turned it for a PS. Smart thing.

Machocruz

Arcane
I am completely aware about all of these things but you have probably nailed the most important one - IMAGE. They have always tried to stay family friendly and it seems that they are now forced to eat their own shit up. I just disagree that they could, even in some parallel universe where they make all of the right decisions, overwrite their kiddy image that was being built for more than several decades.
Yes, I stated it too simply in that first post. In fact, most of their major successes have come on the shoulders of weaker hardware, which I've had to point out to others many times so don't know why I overlooked it. Wishful thinking I guess. Maybe there is no going home. Nintendo had policies back in the day that forced 3rd parties into a different position. And their dominance already started to slip with just their second console.

Machocruz

Arcane
On the other hand, if Nintendo went 3rd party and started dominating software sales on the other consoles, maybe some of their design philosophy would rub off on other developers and we'd have a slight break from edgelord shit and watered down PC games.

stray

Learned
What? GC is the strongest of its generation easy (though disc space was an issue for some games)

You know what.. my bad. I was confusing that with the Wii's lack of power (it was basically still GC tech in the subsequent generation).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom