Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
He was on the Game cube era. Good. That means they will bring pack old IPs like F-Zero or Prime.

:mrpresident:

Archibald

Arcane
Big worry seams to be that he is basically a "finances guy" and might green light some Call of Mario: Modern Jumping project. Thou I imagine that Nintendo has set course for next with years, they probably have invested good amount of money into NX, their Quality of Life stuff and mobile partnership so sudden changes in direction aren't likely.

stray

Learned
One good thing is that they're apparently moving away from targetting casuals. They know their core is actual gaming fans now.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
One good thing is that they're apparently moving away from targetting casuals. They know their core is actual gaming fans now.
And they show it by announcing pokemon spinoffs for Android and iOS.

Fucking '15ers

Obviousplant

Educated
NX needs to have a solid line up of third party games during the release year or Nintendo will slowly start to fade in to irrelevance and exit the market, if they'll release another Mario&Zelda box. Get Sega and Atlus on board and find a Western developer that could take the position Rare had in the SNES&N64 days (Maybe Retro Studios, but they're too small). Even if the system dies prematurely and leads to Nintendo exiting the hardware business, I hope it's going to be Nintendos version of Dreamcast rather than Wii U-2.

Anyways, I was a Sega fan then.. and I bought the Saturn lol. But for some reason, I got smart and turned it for a PS. Smart thing.
Saturn is an amazing system, provided you get a cartridge for by passing the region lock (which is cheap and easy). While lacking big names like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, the overall library wipes the floor with N64

KK1001

Arbiter
I am trying to think of scenarios where the NX is a success and I just can't. The console market is entirely captured by people who just want to play the latest Ubisoft, EA, and Activision AAA shit.

stray

Learned
I am trying to think of scenarios where the NX is a success and I just can't. The console market is entirely captured by people who just want to play the latest Ubisoft, EA, and Activision AAA shit.

Target Sony's niche with JP gamers first. It's not a big market, but that would add much more for their third party titles.. and still appeal to their base Nintendo fans.

They're never going to be an Xbox killer, but they could be the top console with JP titles. Then pick up the scraps of Xbox type of ports as well. If they could at least get GTA ports and the like, they'd be fine.

stray

Learned

HitPepper

Erudite
What? GC is the strongest of its generation easy (though disc space was an issue for some games)
Yes, it was a cool piece of hardware and had some excellent, memorable games, but it pales in comparison to the PS2. It was just too big. Hell, they kept making PS2s till 2013, the 'cube production stopped in 2007. If you mean strongest hardware wise, wasn't the Xbox more powerful?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Look at the graphics gamecube could produce

star-wars-rogue-squadron-iii-rebel-strike-image980709.jpg

If it had 1920x1080 resolution of today it would look like a modern game.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm not a revisionist when it comes to the GC and its standing, but some of the best console games I ever played up until that point did come out on it. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, RE4 (the first two acts anyway), REmake, Twilight Princess, that F Zero game, Smash.

Since I support Nintendo's console game design philosophy (make super polished console games, not buggy, watered down, wannabe PC games), I imagined a scenario where they came out with a dedicated games machine (forget the multimedia crap, the other two have that locked. Have solid online though) and started grooming up-and-coming talent from the indie/lower budget scene, instead of going to the usual, established suspects that MicroSony have locked down. Imagine having Nintendo games, plus the games they get from Platinum and add devs like Klei, the Mount and Blade guys, Re-Logic, Pyke/Stasis guy, Team Meat, etc. Maybe not specifically those devs, but others with that kind of potential that aren't tied to PC environment. Use that giant war chest and design experience to help push smaller, talented studios into a higher strata of production. They could provide an alternative to what the other two are doing, a whole different scene that still has quality and variety.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
NX needs to have a solid line up of third party games during the release year

Fuck that, that's what the WiiU needs. They need to concentrate their efforts on the console they have in the market right now because there's not a whole lot out in the horizon. What else is there beyond XCX? We don't even know if Zelda is coming for the WiiU anymore or not.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm still amazed by gamecube graphics ,a 2001 console dish outs these graphics

Metroid_Prime_Yellow_Exo.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
Retro have the potential to be the best console game developer around. I hope they aren't forever limited to the confines of a couple series.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm still amazed by gamecube graphics ,a 2001 console dish outs these graphics

Metroid_Prime_Yellow_Exo.jpg

WHOA! CHECK OUT THAT RESOLUTION BRO!

In all seriousness, Retro was really, really fucking good at optimizing their Gamecube works. Metroid Prime was gorgeous, atmospheric, and ran at a constant 60 FPS; all of this on the Unreal 2 engine.

And no one saw it coming. When Prime was first announced it had all the signs of a disaster. FPS? Made by an unknown third party? Gonna be shit. But it was brilliant.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I tend to agree. No one that made Rare great works there anymore iirc. Their heyday was on the SNES and N64.

Archibald

Arcane
Well its really hard to find company that has big history and hasn't declined at some point.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Sega was always bad imo. Nintendo had the American market, and trying to kick them out of there with basically the same product was not the most intelligent strategy. Sega's systems were more popular in some european countries like the UK iirc, however. Besides, when you realize how bad Sonic games are these days, you also happen to realize how shitty they always were in retrospective. It's not a cheap attempt at trolling. Sonic's level design was not that good, and it was made worse when all that oh so fast speed could make you suffer really cheap deaths for not landing some jumps or races properly or that kind of things. Mario was simply better. The Mortal Kombat Incident ("real blood" vs something I assumed was snot at the time :P) wasn't really a factor, because the SNES port of MK2 is legendary.

The Genesis was not an attempt to copy Nintendo. Sega systems were designed around porting arcade experiences to the home market, and in this they were wildly successful. Historically, Sega probably owned anywhere from 70-80% of the home arcade market, usually having their hand in the game/arcade cabinet design of every single release, or at least owning the places that hosted these machines. The Genesis had some of the best ports of arcade games ever (Shadow Dancer, Golden Axe, Strider, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Midnight Resistance, MK, SFII) and these usually sold very well. The design philosophy of Sega can be seen in all of their console releases as well as most of the games released for their systems. Sega favored processing power over graphical fidelity because they wanted to deliver the fast-paced, skill based gameplay these games required.

The highest goal set by Sega corporate for the Sega Genesis was to double their marketshare from 5 to 10%, with a whisper of a dream to get 20%. By 1995 Sega had half of the market, both expanded as a result of their efforts and taken from Nintendo. Games like NHL 94, Sonic, Mortal Kombat, and others were huge cultural phenomenons. Sega's marketing was legendary and is studied in business school. There was even a book written about it. Sega laid the groundwork for a competitive console marketplace where multiple products and differing design philosophies could be tolerated, effectively gashing Nintendo's monopoly through talent and innovation. It was only the SNES's later games like Donkey Kong (inspired Sonic 2), Starfox, and Mode 7 titles (F-Zero and Mario Kart) which gave the SNES a late generation push.

In my opinion, the game library of the Sega genesis is both superior in quality and deeper in content than the SNES. The Genesis hosted the first truly engaging multiplayer cooperative games, including precursors to the tactical, real time strategy, and MOBA genres. Sega's superior processing power lent itself to better Shmups, shooters, arcade action games, sports games (NHL 94 is in contention for best game ever), esotera, and beat-em-ups. SNES had the advantage for slower paced adventure games like Metroid, but was either deficient or dead-even in every other genre. (One genre exception is the Fighting game genre. I give a slight edge to Nintendo. The most important fighting game of that generation was MK culturally, the best was SF 2 and Weaponlord which were both better on the SNES, but Genesis had the best version of SF2 Turbo).

The design "flaw" in Sonic the hedgehog is not a flaw, but an example of the need to improve one's skill. Speed is both a blessing and a curse in the sonic games and is moderated out in the level in a way that makes sense. The original game is not designed to be played pressing the right button (that would be Sonic 2), it is a platforming adventure game where speed is used as a physics based device to get through the level successfully.

Taking Sonic's complex physics and speed based gameplay to the third dimension has been incredibly difficult. It took about fifteen years before Portal and Mirror's Edge were released. These games were the first effective translations of the type of gameplay that Sonic delivered in 1991. As far as 2D games are concerned, of course, Sonic games and sonic types have been remarkably popular and well received. Look at the quality titles released for Nintendo handhelds, Donkey Kong, and the bit.trip runner series.

Sega's biggest flaw was not its genius marketing strategy nor the great gameplay experience they offered. It was the decision to rain down hardware revisions and new technologies without a coherent plan. Sega had effectively opened up Nintendo's former monopoly through creativity and hard work, but could've borrowed elements of Nintendo's conservative centralization when it came to synching their software to hardware innovation. For example, Sega pioneered CD based systems with a mediocre piece of hardware that had great games, and then delivered an amazing 32 bit add-on which had no games whatsoever. Meanwhile, Sega of Japan pushed the Sega Saturn into the marketplace creating total confusion for Sega products. Sega definitely upgraded the video game industry, but kept going back to the same watering hole of hardware revisions and innovations that ultimately bankrupted the company. Too much success is certainly a bad thing, and i Think a parallel in this regard is the Nintendo Wii.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sega didn't have the library that Nintendo did imo. Sure they had Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Shinobi, but no Final Fight, no Castlevania 4, Final Fantasy 6, or Super Mario RPG. On the other hand Sega did have Streets of Rage to replace Final Fight and Castlevania Bloodlines to replace Castlevania 4. For every one Nintendo exclusive, Sega had one to replace it. The marketing was aggressive too which fueled the flames of fanboy wars.

SNES had a better controller for most games and fewer worthless addons. The Super Scope was pretty lame. I fell for it though. The Genesis is infamous for having ridiculous products that were dropped without warning. Take the 32X and Sega CD for example. Then they rush out the Saturn ultimately not making the push they need to win the western market. The Dreamcast was so much better than any other console out there and they dropped the ball so hard they could never recover. It's annoying honestly. The Dreamcast had so many good titles that looked insanely good, better than the PS2 in a lot of ways. *sigh*

The SNES had way better sound quality than the Genesis though. It was very noticeable on some of the ports. The SNES versions were clearly superior in most cases. So on one hand you definitely want to play Mortal Kombat 1 on the Genesis for the best version, but some other titles like Earthworm Jim and Zombies Ate My Neighbors are clearly better on the SNES. Nintendo corrected their port problem with MK2 really. Many prefer the Genesis version of Aladdin - which did receive commercial success - but I preferred the SNES version. It just controlled better to me. Granted I never owned a Genesis back then, but that was due to exclusives. Sonic was and still is (sometimes) fun, but the fast placed gameplay never clicked with me. I just got bored once they started throwing awkward water levels. Mario always did water levels better to me. Aspect ratio is a problem on a few of the Genesis ports. The Genesis controller always felt cheap to me too. It never felt right in my hands.

It really comes down to exclusives, sound and port quality, and controls. On one hand you want to play Phantasy Star or Golden Ax, but Super Mario Kart and Earthbound win you over. At least it did me. It often came down to what your parents could buy you back then, so you had to choose one or the other. Sega clearly excelled in some ways and at times had a better library than the SNES, but in the long run Nintendo had a better lineup.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Sega didn't have the library that Nintendo did imo. Sure they had Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Shinobi, but no Final Fight, no Castlevania 4, Final Fantasy 6, or Super Mario RPG. On the other hand Sega did have Streets of Rage to replace Final Fight and Castlevania Bloodlines to replace Castlevania 4. For every one Nintendo exclusive, Sega had one to replace it. The marketing was aggressive too which fueled the flames of fanboy wars.

SOR was the better in my opinion, FF ports on the SNES were usually not very high quality. Sega CD would get probably the best version of Final Fight.

I've conceded that Nintendo had better "adventure" type games like Metroid and SC4. (I'd even count SMRPG in that mix)

But what about MUSHA? Herzog Zwei? Comix Zone? Red Zone? Gain Ground? NHL 94? General Chaos? Death Duel?

SNES had a better controller for most games and fewer worthless addons. The Super Scope was pretty lame. I fell for it though. The Genesis is infamous for having ridiculous products that were dropped without warning. Take the 32X and Sega CD for example. Then they rush out the Saturn ultimately not making the push they need to win the western market. The Dreamcast was so much better than any other console out there and they dropped the ball so hard they could never recover. It's annoying honestly. The Dreamcast had so many good titles that looked insanely good, better than the PS2 in a lot of ways. *sigh*

In my opinion, SNES loses the controller battle. The controller was uncomfortable and awkward (4 button parrellogram fail) while the genesis had directional pads for increased precision in action and platforming games. Only games that benefitted on the SNES were fighting games. A problem Sega genesis rectified with its eventual pack-in 6 button.

The Sega CD had great games and the 32X was a good piece of tech. Sega also had SEGA channel and extended Game Genie support. Good add-ons for the Genesis.

The SNES had way better sound quality than the Genesis though. It was very noticeable on some of the ports. The SNES versions were clearly superior in most cases. So on one hand you definitely want to play Mortal Kombat 1 on the Genesis for the best version, but some other titles like Earthworm Jim and Zombies Ate My Neighbors are clearly better on the SNES. Nintendo corrected their port problem with MK2 really. Many prefer the Genesis version of Aladdin - which did receive commercial success - but I preferred the SNES version. It just controlled better to me. Granted I never owned a Genesis back then, but that was due to exclusives. Sonic was and still is (sometimes) fun, but the fast placed gameplay never clicked with me. I just got bored once they started throwing awkward water levels. Mario always did water levels better to me. Aspect ratio is a problem on a few of the Genesis ports. The Genesis controller always felt cheap to me too. It never felt right in my hands.

In my opinion, Genesis games favored skill and problem solving while Nintendo games honed in on "experiental" gameplay. I'll admit there is some subjective preference, but that's mostly due to age. Teenagers and older adults almost universally favored the Genesis.
It really comes down to exclusives, sound and port quality, and controls. On one hand you want to play Phantasy Star or Golden Ax, but Super Mario Kart and Earthbound win you over. At least it did me. It often came down to what your parents could buy you back then, so you had to choose one or the other. Sega clearly excelled in some ways and at times had a better library than the SNES, but in the long run Nintendo had a better lineup.

The question is not what games you would prefer to play while a child, the question is how many bases were covered. In my opinion, the genesis featured more genres and appealed to a broader audience while delivering more innovative and challenging gameplay.

Oh, as far as sound is concerned, Sega Genesis was 8-bit quality. Best thing the SNES had going for it. That said, if you can handle 8-bit music and appreciate it for what it's worth, quite a few Genesis games are sonically pleasing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom