Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That's consequence of a modern movement to abolish support classes because everyone needs to be awesome action heroes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Inquisition still has the spirit tree, with its barriers, dispels, and revivals.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Did you know they went as far as publishing their crappy system in pen and paper? Then again, the system and gameplay gets shittier by each subsequent game.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
do you want to be a warrior a rogue or a mage?

do you want to be a high elf?

do you want to be a low elf?

do you want to be a noble human lords son?

do you want to be a low dwarf?

do you want to stop the darkspawn from plaguing the lands of men?

do you want to stop the betrayers?

who cares, who even played this shit game for longer then like 2 hours i literally got to the point where you recruit that priest girl in a bar fight in the most cringe worthy dialogue imaginable and since the rest of the game was already cringeworthy to that point thats saying something

if i was forced to play a video game like gun to my head type of thing i'd literally consider letting them kill me instead of playing this pile of shit for more then a couple hours

Theldaran

Liturgist
I truly think that DA:O is the game that separates Bioware's decent works from the shit. On the other hand, Mass Effect appeared earlier and it was already plenty of shit. I managed to beat both games, but overall I was unimpressed.

Also original DA:O (which I own) has the courtesy of EA's DRM, rendering the disc a freesbee after some installations.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I truly think that DA:O is the game that separates Bioware's decent works from the shit. On the other hand, Mass Effect appeared earlier and it was already plenty of shit. I managed to beat both games, but overall I was unimpressed.

I liked ME1 and DA:O was OK I guess (could be revisionist opinion due to the games that followed) but still a pretty big disappointment. From ME2 on Bio went full derp although it took me until DA:2 to fully realize they weren't just in a slump.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Oh are you a mac user? :lol:

Heavens no.

I tried to restock my installation allowance with that patch, but it didn't work. Funny enough, I've got 3 games from that list. I guess they're the last EA games I buy ever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I tried to restock my installation allowance with that patch, but it didn't work. Funny enough, I've got 3 games from that list. I guess they're the last EA games I buy ever.

You're supposed to de-authorize before you uninstall. :lol:

I think if you call them they'll do something to reset the number.

pippin

All I remember is that rogues ended up being better warriors than warriors. The abilities you get when you hit Awakening are actually hilarious.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This is a good mod for Awakening. The best rogue weapon is in the OC and transfers to Awakening without that mod, though.

Absinthe

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why it was decided that classic DnD classes in DA:O were turned into specializations for three base classes? Like, you can't roll a bard in Origins, you roll one of the three main classes and then get the specialization. So what the fuck? Why did Bioware start doing this?
Laziness/simplification mostly. Turning them into specializations is not necessarily a bad thing, but Bioware didn't really do enough to make specializations matter, in terms of gear, talents/spells, or C&C. You just get a slight perk and 4 spells/abilities, and... that's it. I think arcane warrior also has a spec-restricted sword and templar has a spec-restricted armor, but neither of them are particularly good. Shapeshifter really got shafted by the half-assed design, since the forms are mostly useless. And arcane warrior spec is just a mage in plate with a couple more ridiculous defenses layered on top. It does fuck-all for attacking and you're best off wielding a staff and casting spells.

Fighter/Rogue/Mage splits are nothing new. Quest for Glory, Lands of Lore, and Diablo 1 did it too, and it had fuck-all to do with healing or MMORPG shit. It's just a classic division of gameplay styles, except in DAO's case there's typically not much difference in gameplay between rogues and warriors since martial combat is horribly bland and you can't sneak past encounters anyhow, while mages are just overpowered.

interesting as Inquisition doesnt have a healer class
Inquisition tried to make health pools matter more by limiting access to healing, but then overcompensated with its absurd damage shield parade along with the fact that you can go back for more healing potions whenever you want; it just takes up time. Mages in Inquisition are still basically healers. It's just that instead of casting heal they cast aoe damage-absorbing barriers. This actually makes mages more important for keeping a party going in DAI than they were in previous games. Also, an all-mage party is probably the hardest to kill party thanks to the constant barrier restorations.

All I remember is that rogues ended up being better warriors than warriors. The abilities you get when you hit Awakening are actually hilarious.
Warriors could actually do massive damage in Awakening through the Spirit Warrior specialization, especially when the warrior is geared with spirit damage multiplying gear and/or the enemies are hexed into elemental vulnerability, but yes, both mages and rogues were better tanks than warriors in Awakening. Arcane Warrior mage specialization and Legionnaire Scout rogue specialization were much better at tanking than what the warrior gets.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom