Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, see, because of all the subforums I always miss all those threads.

typical user

Arbiter
There are lots of mods which add different stagger effects, stamina management, increase attack damage on parried attacks or just increase your spell damage to absurd amounts if you spec into mage build. I don't play Skyrim and don't really need to get back to it, since I done all the content this game has to offer but stuff like Duel - Combat Realism, Combat Enhanced, Deadly Combat, Dragon Combat Overhaul and many others should make it more interesting then one-shotting stuff with daggers or arrows or just playing a spellblade since potion chugging is breastfed to you the moment you run out of magicka.

Unless you don't like modding, then play Gothic and enjoy proper RPG than this burgerking's edition of roleplay crap.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
I play Skyrim with a few mods and get my ass kicked consistently, I don't see what is the problem.
You just need a mod to not make the AI dumb, that's all.
Mortal Enemies, Revenge of Enemies, OBIS, Wintermyst, TK Dodge and Wildcat and you get a pretty decent combat.

Really the only fundamental flaws of skyrim combat is the lack of AOE attacks outside of that one power attack which can be bad when you bump up the bandits to x3 in OBIS and the painful spell and inventory management while in combat.
The rest can be fixed.

Neki

Scholar
or-morrowind-or-daggerfall-or-arena_o_2525715.jpg

Relevant.

Seethe

Arbiter
Your main character is a peasant til he dies, not the dragonborn.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Haha yeah, the Dragonborn, the hero who can split mountains in half by raising his voice, gets one shot by a lowly bandit. Yeah, totally not a bad thing.

It's just the same in Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty. You have peasants who take 6 hits to die, and Geralt the intoxicated super mutant gets killed in two hits by a peasant with three teeth in his mouth. No, I can't take that seriously. It's just one more reason why bullet sponges are shit, and won't fix Skyrim's combat system.

Get illusion magic up.
Learn Calm.
Fire rune on the floor.
Fire ball 2x
Hide behind corner.
Kill 1.
Another still alive?
Calm him/her.
Press G to do rape check.
Rape if you wish.
Then enslave to sell to guards.

Real men use this.

Combat mods cannot save Skyrim. Only sex mods can save Skyrim.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Your main character is a peasant til he dies, not the dragonborn.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Haha yeah, the Dragonborn, the hero who can split mountains in half by raising his voice, gets one shot by a lowly bandit. Yeah, totally not a bad thing.
How does being able to split mountains by shouting at them have any bearing on withstanding sharp objects through your ribcage?

It's just the same in Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty. You have peasants who take 6 hits to die, and Geralt the intoxicated super mutant gets killed in two hits by a peasant with three teeth in his mouth. No, I can't take that seriously. It's just one more reason why bullet sponges are shit, and won't fix Skyrim's combat system.
You do realize how ironic this is given that in the novels Geralt got one shot by a random peasant with a pitchfork, right?

Real men use this.

Combat mods cannot save Skyrim. Only sex mods can save Skyrim.
Real men don't whine that combat is lethal.
:M

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ But it is not even that. It fails at everything. It isn't even a good walking simulator because the whole world is the same and boring. It isn't even good for story fags because the story is shit and all the dialogue is painful. It fails at role playing because you can't even do anything or change anything about the world and all the dialogue choices are meaningless. And it fails HARD at being an action game. The fact the game sold at all is testament to how retarded modern gamers are.

Seethe

Arbiter
You do realize how ironic this is given that in the novels Geralt got one shot by a random peasant with a pitchfork, right?

Does Geralt kill peasants with 10 sword slashes in the novels? Because that was my point. Bullet sponges that one shot are retarded. They are not original, they are not fun, they are nothing new, and they push you to exploit the game in an unnatural way. Or they encourage grinding. You know where bullet sponges belong? In games like Diablo 3 or PoE with mindless AI, where you are supposed to gear yourself and test your new build in Super Ultra Hardcore difficulty, to see if you can one shot the NPCs.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Does Geralt kill peasants with 10 sword slashes in the novels? Because that was my point. Bullet sponges that one shot are retarded. They are not original, they are not fun, they are nothing new, and they push you to exploit the game in an unnatural way. Or they encourage grinding. You know where bullet sponges belong? In games like Diablo 3 or PoE with mindless AI, where you are supposed to gear yourself and test your new build in Super Ultra Hardcore difficulty, to see if you can one shot the NPCs.
I know where bullet sponges belong.
But you are still complaining about getting one-shot and the bullet sponges you complain about generally aren't bullet sponges - either you attack them wrong or they actually have mechanical justification for being tankier than usual - undead, large, mechanical and heavily armored, etc.
If you are at least somewhat competent, perk-wise then you shouldn't have any problems just making ordinary mortals die in 1-2 hits. Tankier enemies usually are harder, but it's mostly the question of the right preparation. Only boss grade enemies really need higher level.

It's not like Requiem couldn't use a lot improvement, but it's better than not just other mods, but most games featuring any sort of fantasy combat, and yes, if someone is aiming a crossbow at your belly, you'd better believe they might kill you.

Serious answer: Skyrim is not a "game" you should play to "win". It's a LARPer's toy box.
Aren't all games that can be reloaded at will and are meant to be played for the content?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
People complaining about REQUIEM are just genetically born idiotic.

Especially the whole bullet sponge argument is extremely amusing because with right approach and right character building anything can be taken down just as fast as the NPCs take down player. I reckon the complainers are those whom consider RPG mean adventure game where dialogue options alter the storyline, rather than character building and approach affecting the game. CnC bitches, welcome to real meaning of it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
People complaining about REQUIEM are just genetically born idiotic.

Especially the whole bullet sponge argument is extremely amusing because with right approach and right character building anything can be taken down just as fast as the NPCs take down player. I reckon the complainers are those whom consider RPG mean adventure game where dialogue options alter the storyline, rather than character building and approach affecting the game. CnC bitches, welcome to real meaning of it.
Right approach = the hard counter.

It's not like Requiem couldn't use a lot improvement, but it's better than not just other mods, but most games featuring any sort of fantasy combat, and yes, if someone is aiming a crossbow at your belly, you'd better believe they might kill you.
(unless you're wearing heavy gauntlets, boots and helmet that protect your belly)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Right approach, the sensible way to deal with the matter, certainly beyond someone whom is genetically born idiot.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Skyrimjob is a LARP power fantasy game, and should be treated as such. I use warzones mod and More NPC's and settlement overhauls combined with various combat mods so I can LARP as a general leading the Imperial Legion against dragons (which I mod to be more broken and overpowered) and Stormcucks. Frames are usually shit for me ( I get around 24 fps Average on Whiterun since it has 200 to 270ish npc's loaded with my mod setup but shit nigger that's cinematic). Combat is shit No matter what you, But it is shit in its simplicity which is nice.

I use Perkus Maximus because it allows a wider variety of build's and it play nice with the multitude of combat overhauls, My favorite is ASIS which integrates mod related Items and spells into the game world. I ignore the main plot or the premade quest because they are obviously garbage, instead I just use whatever quest mod some random fucker decides to make.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Nothing says intellectual deficiensy than responding in a simple rating rather than argument in the big picture.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What argument? "People who dislike requiem are stupid"?

Requiem doesn't fix skyrim's shitty combat, it shouldn't even be in this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom