Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deltarune - episodic Undertale sequel

PorkBarrellGuy

It's weird. Battle system is an improvement, though it's still weird as hell.

edit: Why is this character the most unbelievable cunt, christ

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Delta Rune, a proposed sequel, is out.

www.deltarune.com

Around two hours of gameplay...
It deserves a better review than that but, so far, I'm thoroughly disappointed. It's Undertale, again, except with less charm and less inspiration. The game doesn't hold punches and I actually couldn't beat the final boss (I suck at shmups), so I watched an ending off youtube.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be : independant game teasing the actual sequel ? Or is the next Undertale going to be episodic (if so, I'm screwed, since I don't have a savegame of me having completed it.) .

Anyways, I absolutely loved Undertale, but this gets a big fat "meh" from me. Toby Fox subverted most expectations with his first game ; he returns with a second one which is pretty much everything that was expected of him by his fans, failing to take any risk or surprise, but without the inspiration and naiveté of his first game.

Last edited:
So it's out? I was told today that people weren't sure if the game was complete. Maybe it's the flavor text on the site.

Also, Deltarune is an anagram of Undertale. This may or may not be important.

-

old but relevant

GZkRNC4.jpg

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah fuck I've copied an EXE into my pictures folder and run it many a time.

...then again maybe the world could do without the contents of said my pictures folder

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I played Deltarune, gee golly jeepers my life has meaning again!

It was rather predictable, but hey, Toby has the printing presses set to make him a few more easy million.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The king? He's easy. The hidden boss is way harder. Although still not meme hard like Sans.

Anyway I love it. The combat flows way better with party dynamics, as well as having party members at all makes the pace go by easier. There is a certain air of mystery to the plot and what this setting means (since it's not quite a sequel), and people are already going through the typical motions of datamining and secret finding. And already people are finding clues/allusions. Which is really half the fun. Speaking of half the fun, the music is phenomenal. The graphics also got a really good boost too.

orcinator

Liturgist
It's Undertale, again, except with less charm and less inspiration.
Toby Fox subverted most expectations with his first game ; he returns with a second one which is pretty much everything that was expected of him by his fans, failing to take any risk or surprise, but without the inspiration and naiveté of his first game.

Since he already ripped off every cult indie game when making the original, he has nothing left to steal ideas from but his own game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's Undertale, again, except with less charm and less inspiration.
Toby Fox subverted most expectations with his first game ; he returns with a second one which is pretty much everything that was expected of him by his fans, failing to take any risk or surprise, but without the inspiration and naiveté of his first game.

Since he already ripped off every cult indie game when making the original, he has nothing left to steal ideas from but his own game.

are you saying that he made a game inspired by other games and it somewhat looks like other games

wow

people shouldnt do that

Siveon

Bot
Is this a good game? I haven't played Undertale 1.
If you haven't played Undertale do not play Deltarune. There's already an Undertale demo and it goes for pretty cheap if you're interested. I think it's a good game.

What kind of fucking mutant does one have to be to beat King ?

FFS.

Are you doing a pacifist run or something? He was easy on "neutral".
I don't think this demo(?) has routes. The whole purpose of the intro was saying choices didn't matter, and whenever you fought baddies I thought they just ran away.

Siveon

Bot
he returns with a second one which is pretty much everything that was expected of him by his fans

Not that he didn't rewrite things of course but a lot of this might have been planned in advance.

Siveon

Bot
And yes that does say 2012, before the Undertale Kickstarter was even made.

So, a lot of things to think about.

mogwaimon

Magister
The demo was pretty neat, the new combat system is pretty good and I think the story is a bit more mysterious than Undertale's was, which is good. But yea, it hits pretty much all of the same beats as Undertale did and it does feel almost 'too' familiar.

I tried for the pacifist route and did defeat the hidden boss,
not sure if that influenced my chapter ending or if everyone else got the same thing, but my Kris ended up ripping out his own heart and flashing a knife at me in the final scene. I did use the fight command on King, thinking his fight was similar to Asgore in that you have to fight him and then spare him at the end, so maybe that fucked the 'pacifist' route up for me?
but despite that I can't wait to see more. I'm hoping that this demo is basically just the 'safe retread' and the full game experiments more with narrative beats and subversion and all that, since you play Undertale for the story and all that since the actual gameplay isn't all that satisfying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom