Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan: Worth $20?

Damned "maybe"-s! Make my mind up for me, dammit!

Right now I still have Avernum 2 left to complete, and Avernum 3, Blades of Avernum, and Geneforge 2 to start (I got halfway through Geneforge and lost my save, I'll be damned if I play that all over again, and I have no interest in the first Avernum). I also have Helherron and Gothic 2 sitting idle in my CD collection.

Still, Demise looked kind-of interesting. A Spiderweb Software-only RPG diet gets old quick, and I'm hankering to scratch that RPG itch before it goes and makes me do something stupid like buy Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights... :shock:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like this game very much; it's sth like a roguelike. There was a demo floating around the net, and I think it provided literally weeks of fun. Even multiplayer is alive after all those years. I'd recommend searching for demo.

Sarvis

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
Geneforge and lost my save, I'll be damned if I play that all over again, and I have no interest in the first Avernum).

And here people keep telling me how great the game is because of the different paths and replayability.

Astromarine

Erudite
You're looking for something to play while you have Gothic 2 idling? /shock

Play it, and get Night of the Raven (assuming you are playing the Deutch version). Problem Solved

Astromarine said:
You're looking for something to play while you have Gothic 2 idling? /shock

Play it, and get Night of the Raven (assuming you are playing the Deutch version). Problem Solved
I have the US version. Gothic 2's another game I played for awhile and lost my save in due to the same HDD death. It'd be real hard for me to start over after busting my ass to become a Mage once already.

Sarvis said:
Geneforge and lost my save, I'll be damned if I play that all over again, and I have no interest in the first Avernum).

And here people keep telling me how great the game is because of the different paths and replayability.
Eh, I'm unlike most gamers on this forum in that I hate to replay a game--I try to see as much of it as I can the first time, then I don't come back to it.

I really enjoy the feeling of exploring new territory--I loved the mysterious quality of exploring the seeming deserted, ruined island of Geneforge--so I don't know how much I'd enjoy replaying it.

I'm going to try and track down that Demise demo.

Man, I'd like this game 100 times more if it had clickable initiate combat buttons instead of me having to deduce a cryptic keyboard command layout.

It's not that bad for a roguelike, though. I'm still uncertain as to whether it's worth $20, however.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Is it really so hard to tap 'f' in those rare cases when the monsters aren't auto-hostile?

Anonymous

Demise the sequel to Mordor also, which you can download the full version of (Mordor that is).

I downloaded Demise off bittorrent but it kept asking for a serial to install it, but I liked Mordor alot.

DrattedTin said:
Is it really so hard to tap 'f' in those rare cases when the monsters aren't auto-hostile?
Is it really so hard to include a crossed-swords button or something equally intuitive in the interface?

It's not that pressing "f" ruins my day, it's that it was unituitive, and since I was gung-ho about playing the game instead of reading the manual, I leapt right in expecting a straightforward "you can click this and you'll fight" button.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
I have tried the old Demise. The combat was total automatic. My party entered a room of the dungeon and was attacked. I heard the noises of battle but I did not see any monster. Anyway my party won the battle. Finally I looked down, then I saw the dead bodies of the monsters.

It was worse than Dungeon Siege.

Sarvis

Erudite
Sarvis said:

Eh, I'm unlike most gamers on this forum in that I hate to replay a game--I try to see as much of it as I can the first time, then I don't come back to it.

I really enjoy the feeling of exploring new territory--I loved the mysterious quality of exploring the seeming deserted, ruined island of Geneforge--so I don't know how much I'd enjoy replaying it.

I'm actually the same way...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have a question: do you ever find merchants or anything in the dungeon ala Nethack, or do you have to trudge to the top every time?
I'm not sure about merchants, but I haven't found any. There are some special rooms, and I found the maze generally quite interesting. Look for secret doors - you might be surprised how handily placed they are, making returning from lower levels very easy. And after some time you'll be able to cast sth like a "Town Portal" spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom