Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls completely playable on PC right now.

Perkel

Arcane
So with the new emulator build I've FINALLY managed to run it. Unfortunately the sound is still jittery and tho the fps is smooth there's frequent area buffering or some such (even with my 16gb RAM).

Watched a few videos, folks are running it smoothly on their i7s. I've got only i5, maybe that's the problem. Too bad.

Because they run around already. RCPS3 doesn't precompile every shader before running game so it needs to do that when you play game which causes stutter. Probably soon there will be change in RCPS3 where you will be able to download precompiled shader packs.

So for now to have stutter free gameplay you need to at least once play through all areas.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So with the new emulator build I've FINALLY managed to run it. Unfortunately the sound is still jittery and tho the fps is smooth there's frequent area buffering or some such (even with my 16gb RAM).

Watched a few videos, folks are running it smoothly on their i7s. I've got only i5, maybe that's the problem. Too bad.

Because they run around already. RCPS3 doesn't precompile every shader before running game so it needs to do that when you play game which causes stutter. Probably soon there will be change in RCPS3 where you will be able to download precompiled shader packs.

So for now to have stutter free gameplay you need to at least once play through all areas.

Oh shit, good info. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a solution to the jittering, crackling sound and both of those things are major pains in the ass seriously hampering the enjoyment of playing.

I guess I'm gonna keep hoping for a PS4 remaster.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

It runs OK in 4k on my i7 + 2080, but still kind of jittery. Can't find any info on how to make it run better at 4K. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve performance? Seems to be very CPU limited.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It runs OK in 4k on my i7 + 2080, but still kind of jittery. Can't find any info on how to make it run better at 4K. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve performance? Seems to be very CPU limited.
I'm not running it in 4k, and have not noticed any real effects from tweaking options.

Occasionally the game will loop some audio, and or crash, but it's perfectly playable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not running it in 4k, and have not noticed any real effects from tweaking options.

Occasionally the game will loop some audio, and or crash, but it's perfectly playable.

So you don't have problems with shader buffering? When you go through an area for the first time nothing ever stutters?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Retarded question: Can I play with Kb + M?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

So you don't have problems with shader buffering? When you go through an area for the first time nothing ever stutters?
Vulkan render seems to have made such things a historical event. Admittedly the first few seconds of a new area can sometime have some texture popin (especially the tutorial zone), but the game doesn't stutter at all, things are just see through for half a second.

Ivan

Arcane
now we can play shitty games at a higher resolution and more consistent framerate. wo hoo
giphy.webp

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Will try it out when I have more time. There was way too much slow down before.
That's the shader issue I mention ITT. Basically you need to run through each level once in order for the shaders to load up. During that run there's a lot of texture pop-in, jerkiness and sound stutter. For me it's unplayable. Afaik they still haven't solved it and I'm not even sure it's solvable.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
That's the shader issue I mention ITT. Basically you need to run through each level once in order for the shaders to load up. During that run there's a lot of texture pop-in, jerkiness and sound stutter. For me it's unplayable. Afaik they still haven't solved it and I'm not even sure it's solvable.
For me the vulkan shader thingie basically solved the issue entirely. I have a pretty good cpu and use an SSD as well, not sure if that matters.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For me the vulkan shader thingie basically solved the issue entirely. I have a pretty good cpu and use an SSD as well, not sure if that matters.

I had Vulcan switched on (as recommended by all the guides) and it didn't help. But I only have a basic bitch i5. Imma buy a new hardware when the new consoles come out so I'll try again then.

mogwaimon

Magister

It's a common issue with some modern console emulators, so it likely isn't an issue that's going to go away anytime soon, least not until we get better hardware or our knowledge of said console's hardware is advanced enough to where it's perfectly emulated or whatever. I honestly don't know that much about why they have to emulate those systems in that manner.

But....not sure if RPCS3 is capable of it yet, but Cemu at least stores shaders in a format that's easily shareable, so once someone completes, say, New Super Mario 3D World, they post their shader cache online, you can download it, and now you can play that game without having to load shaders. Might be worth a look, because otherwise....well, I was playing Sengoku Basara 3 and at the beginning of every level my player's head would go invis or he would go bald because of shader loading, it's a pain in the ass.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
To semi-quote myself... The Splinter Cell gameplay was never that great. Having accuracy and speed dependent on the mouse wheel wasn't very functional. You'd have to roll down the wheel as fast as possible to get a good shot and then, so that Sam doesn't walk like a snail, roll it up again fast as you watched the meter. Made it feel too mechanical. Sam is the worst shot in the world. He must have Parkinson's Disease. The use of darkness was always kind of silly. A light bulb would illuminate much more space. I prefer the old MGS games, which have even sillier mechanics, but those are wacky cartoon games. Splinter Cell has a grittier and more realistic tone, and the silly, overdone light mechanic is everywhere. The Splinter Cell levels were a lot more linear than in MGS3 and didn't offer as much experimentation. The story was dull. The keypad hacking was convoluted. The objectives were sometimes obtuse. On my last playthrough of the bank mission in Chaos Theory, I was done with every objective, but the game wouldn't allow me to leave because I didn't listen in on some conversation somewhere. Some of the objectives ruin the flow.

Sam isn't a good shot on purpose. It's a stealth game, and as such an aggressive playstyle isn't what the game is optimized for. On MGS in the other hand you can easily complete the whole game by murdering every living thing since Snake is a expert badass at combat, plus he can carry a huge arsenal.
Chaos Theory is one of the very few stealth games were true ghosting is possible (a quality no MGS has). You might progress trough the levels more linearly in CT than in MGS3, but CT's level design is far better.
CT plot might not be good, but it's not a focus of the game and it does the job - actually story-wise the character himself, like in Thief, is more of the appeal (and Sam is a more appealing character than rough smoke voice Kurt Russel). Also let's not pretend any MGS as a good plot. They can be entertaining but you find better writing and consistency in a fucking arc of Naruto than you do in MGS.
And even stealth itself is too easy in MGS as the guards have poor hearing+vision range, the influence of lightning is trivial (and in 3 you can be standing 2 meters away from a guard as long as you have a high amount of camouflage) and lastly the tranq gun pretty much breaks the game.

Now, I have said multiple times I really like MGS 3, 5 and even to some extent Twin Snakes. But the MGS series is clearly more of a action game series with some emphasis on stealth rather than a pure stealth game like the Splinter Cell games are (putting them much closer to Thief than MGS).

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Magister
I wanted to try it but to my surprise cannot find an image file for download anywhere.

Normally people use PSNStuff or similar utility to just acquire the PSN versions of games and use those for RPCS3, but there is/was an issue with Demon's Souls in particular where the PSN version gets mistaken by the emulator for the BD version and it screws the whole pooch up. Not sure if they fixed it in this new version or not, but it was an issue on 0.5 and maybe 0.6 for sure.

Just google Demon's Souls iso and it'll pop up. The link looks like one of those terrible fake sites, but it actually does work and they have links for GDrive and Mega so the actual download hosts are great. IIRC that's where I got mine a few months back. There are a few other PS3 games which don't show up on PSN (Sengoku Basara 3, Nier Replicant in English) that do show up on that site so it's a decent resource.

EDIT: Oh, and obviously you want to make sure your browser has adblock, uBlock, and/or uMatrix addons if it doesn't already, or something similar. My setup is a bit convoluted and probably has some redundant parts but it protects me pretty well when I have to go to sketchy places like that or some asshole has hidden legitimate links behind a layer or two of dodgy redirects. Still a far cry better than back in the day where you wouldn't even get a legit file at the end of the process, you'd just get some 'password' to open a fake file on the other end of another set of redirects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom