Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Souls vs Dark Souls

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
After playing all souls like games, I consider Demons and DS 1 the best ones, 2 3 and BB for me just did not do it.

However I can't decide which of the two is better, Demons for me feels way harder than DS 1, in DS 1 it feels that you can romp through the game with a shield up and generaly you will not die, in Demons however there are some bullshit moments which you are not ready for and you will die, like the game is a troll game and every next game is less trolling and more skill involved.

However the Demons is first type of those games and it feels like it has captured the 'spirit' of 'souls' like games the best (being the first one and original) and the further down the hole, every next game removes the 'bullshit' moments in favor of 'skill'.
Maybe DS 1 has just the best balance of bullshit to skill moments? Both games are great in their own right but do things differently.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nothing beats the music in the nexus. Especially the first time I played Demon's Souls. I imported a copy from Hong Kong because it wasn't out in English. But the Hong Kong version was fully English. The dark and depressing feeling when being in the nexus still can't be beat by any of the other Souls games. And when I started playing I got fucked up left, right and centre and a few times saying "fuck this game" yet I kept on playing. Dark Souls 1 was great but I just never could figure out what it's missing that Demon's Souls has.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Dark Souls 1 was great but I just never could figure out what it's missing that Demon's Souls has.

Demons has this dark gothic vibe, the game tells you 'you are f***' from the start and it has so many insta kill moments that no other souls game have.

Demons is not hard per se by skill like other souls games, but it's like the game trolls the player, once you repeat the same area after death (walking all the way from the checkpoint, another d*** move) you know what to expect behind the corner.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dark Souls 1 was great but I just never could figure out what it's missing that Demon's Souls has.

Demons has this dark gothic vibe, the game tells you 'you are f***' from the start and it has so many insta kill moments that no other souls game have.

Demons is not hard per se by skill like other souls games, but it's like the game trolls the player, once you repeat the same area after death (walking all the way from the checkpoint, another d*** move) you know what to expect behind the corner.
The dragon roasting your ass right as you exit the area after the Phalanx fight and you wonder to yourself. How the fuck am I supposed to get past here. Then you start running and you get burnt to a fucking crisp. Good times. I still have my Demon's Souls copy and might replay it on PS3 soon after this thread.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is a rumour or a leak that demons is getting remastered for ps5

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also Demons has World tendency and character tendency, i think no other souls game have this ?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah but the world tendency could really fuck you bad if it's the first time you played it. But drop were better at black world tendency. But when it just came out it really fucked you bad with how difficult black world tendency could be.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I played Demon's Souls first and pretty much everything that came after felt like a rehash of it and at the time Dark Souls ran much worse than Demon's with places like Blighttown hovering around 15fps on PS3. DeS also had dedicated servers so messages were more persistent and the community was more tightly knit.

It's very hard for me to rank Souls games. Each of them does things i really like at the expense of others. If i were to rank them i would say i like DaS 1 more than the rest, and i like DaS 2 and 3 equally. DaS 2 is imo very underrated and quite excellent mechanically, and it is not so lacking in other areas neither. It *does* feel very different thematically though.

Otherwise, there is Demon's Souls and Sekiro. I haven't played BB because it doesn't exist in my universe since i don't own a PS4. Demon's Souls is overall a really great game mechanically, but i find it thematically inconsistent and even gaudy, and that does reduce my enjoyment of it quite a bit. One character is called Satsuki, the other Freke, yet another one is called Urbain. The whole game is like this, it's all over the place, and i don't like it. I would say that DeS is the most RPG out of all of them and most of the things it pulls off are just fantastic.

As for Sekiro, it has the best swordfigthing in any game i've ever seen. IMO it has the best bosses too, as well as thematic and presentation consistency. It's just a very good product overall, but its gameplay is limited comparatively.

Not a rumor, more like an urban legend. Remastering that game would not be enough for a new console. It'll have to be made up from the ground. I'd say the chances are there, but maybe low. Also the real tragedy here would be if it wasn't released for the PC as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ee6NGcp.jpg

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So every next game in the series after Demons is just worse Demon Souls? That would fit with the theme of Demons that when you die the game gets harder. :M

Terra

Cipher
Preferred Demons. It created the template for the series and I always favoured the hub based approach to the interconnected world of Dark Souls. World tendancy system also made things more interesting than later games.

You were also ahead of the curve if you imported the Asian copy of demons, well before atlus started taking undue credit for releasing it later and dark souls opened it up to the masses. Demons is the purest expression of the Souls experience.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I've always liked Demon's Souls the best, with Dark Souls being second best and technically decline in all areas in comparison except for its interconnected world, and every other entry afterwards including Bloodborne and Sekiro to be massive decline.

The reason why I like Demon's Souls the most is because it was the most hardcore game with respect to consequences for your actions even if there were some missteps which I can forgive because it tried so many unconventional things. Every game after it mistook being hardcore for being just simply 'hard' with respect to combat. It got to the point where there just put bonfires or analogous save location everywhere next to the bosses so there was minimal downtime in dying and running back to them over and over again.

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
Just to clarify on the most recent rumor: basically there's going to be a launch title by Bluepoint, a company that does remasters/ports (MGS HD, Shadow of Colossus, Uncharted Collection etc.). No one knows what it actually is, but there's been a ton of clickbait wondering if it would finally be a Demon's Souls remaster. It's absolutely nothing concrete.

Machocruz

Arcane
Dark had better mechanics, but i prefer Demon's world of desolation and misery. DkS has high fantasy and goofy shit in there that doesn't appeal to me. Both are GOAT games either way.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just to clarify on the most recent rumor: basically there's going to be a launch title by Bluepoint, a company that does remasters/ports (MGS HD, Shadow of Colossus, Uncharted Collection etc.). No one knows what it actually is, but there's been a ton of clickbait wondering if it would finally be a Demon's Souls remaster. It's absolutely nothing concrete.

Jason Shrier confirmed its Demons

Mojobeard

Augur
Jason Shrier confirmed its Demons
He said "Yes" to the question "Think we'll ever get a Demon's Souls remaster?". That is not a confirmation. That is clickbait fuel.
I'm hopeful it is Demon's, but that is literally some guy saying "yeah it'll happen some day".

At least the game is fully playable on RPCS3 now. Not as good as a proper port, but good enough.
Noo... it has bugs and issues. Frequent save corruptions, geometry missing etc etc. I know it's technically playable, but it's not so practically.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least the game is fully playable on RPCS3 now. Not as good as a proper port, but good enough.
Noo... it has bugs and issues. Frequent save corruptions, geometry missing etc etc. I know it's technically playable, but it's not so practically.

Really? I completed it at the weekend. I didn't have any significant issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom