Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Derek Smart

Seven

Erudite
Well here's my shot at summoning the Demon Smart. I suppose I should start off by chanting about how his games never deliver what's promised. I should also point out that that only a lunatic would make promises like Derek Smart. Another point I'll have to touch on are his lunatic followers who seem to believe everything he shovels out. Ofcourse, there's also the fact that he refers to himself as the "supreme commander", and he also runs his forums like the gestapo ran germany. Hmmmm.... am I leaving anything out? Did I mention that the man is a lunatic...

JJ86

Liturgist
Are people still talking about that guy? I thought all that stuff was over years ago....

Seven

Erudite
JJ86 said:
Are people still talking about that guy? I thought all that stuff was over years ago....

If when you say "talk", you mean make fun of, then yes people still talk about him.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
I tried to join the Battlecruiser forums a while ago, and the rules were so harsh I chickened out... :? And Derek's avatar looks like Baphomet and he yells a lot. Too scary.

Ibbz

Augur
I dont think you'll have much chance at getting Derek Smart here, but you might be able to get Cleve Blakemore seems it is an RPG forum and he {supposedly} makes RPG's.

Seven

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Wasn't Battlecruiser supposed to be an RPG, too?

It was supposed to be everything; the alpha and omega...

Nutz, I really wanted to get into a flame war with Derek Smart on an RPG forum too. Perhaps one of you good people could be good enough to inform Mr. Smart of my loathing towards him. Of course, the person who informs will probably make his hit list, so...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, you can knock Derek Smart all you want, but I have to give the guy credit for two things:

• The man tries to make games with a shitload of depth. Frankly, that's pretty refreshing considering most developers like to dumb down this, stream line that, and so forth. Derek Smart is the exact opposite, he adds too much, which in the end seems to complicate the experience and interface.
  • He makes things interesting if not in the game, in the space sim genre community. He shakes things up, and that's not bad.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, you can knock Derek Smart all you want, but I have to give the guy credit for two things:

• The man tries to make games with a shitload of depth. Frankly, that's pretty refreshing considering most developers like to dumb down this, stream line that, and so forth. Derek Smart is the exact opposite, he adds too much, which in the end seems to complicate the experience and interface.
  • He makes things interesting if not in the game, in the space sim genre community. He shakes things up, and that's not bad.

Does this mean that despite all the flames, he makes good games? Hmm. I'm willing to try them if that's the case.

Raymondo

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:

I hate him even more now!

Does this mean that despite all the flames, he makes good games? Hmm. I'm willing to try them if that's the case.

Any links?

Spazmo

Erudite
Saint, that may be true, but I'd still rather play Freespace 2 than go anywhere near a Battlecruiser game.

Seven

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:

You also forgot to mention that he's incapable of making a game that works...

Lemon

Arcane
For those unfamiliar Derek is building the game of everything.

Battlecruiser is a brutal chore, one of the few sims I don't like.

Megatron

Liturgist
Raymondo2000 said:

And yet you didn't know him 20 minutes earlier. Hardcore.

I think he might be a bit...ambitous, but no point getting so emotional over the duke nukem:forever of something or something D:

Raymondo

Liturgist
Megatron said:
Raymondo2000 said:

And yet you didn't know him 20 minutes earlier. Hardcore.

I think he might be a bit...ambitous, but no point getting so emotional over the duke nukem:forever of something or something D:

I'm Ray I hate everyone, everyone must suffer :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Seven9 said:

I've only purchased Battlecruiser 3000AD 2.0, and it worked for me. However, Derek Smart isn't that good at making an interface. That's his biggest problem.

Seven

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Seven9 said:

I've only purchased Battlecruiser 3000AD 2.0, and it worked for me. However, Derek Smart isn't that good at making an interface. That's his biggest problem.

LOL, double post take that! 8) Try any of the other games and you get the blue screen. I've never been able to get any of the Battlecruiser games to work for me. Although, this has never stopped me for buying them. Also I believe that the original BC is available as a freeware title.

Raymondo

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
This is why I like Derek Smart

Come on, how many developers actually stand up for themselves like that?

Well its not really a smart thing to tell you customers to fuck off if they start disliking your other projects or you.

Some times you just have to take it in the ass once and awhile just for you to get the bling bling for your projects.

Seven

Erudite
Raymondo2000 said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
This is why I like Derek Smart

Come on, how many developers actually stand up for themselves like that?

Well its not really a smart thing to tell you customers to fuck off if they start disliking your other projects or you.

Some times you just have to take it in the ass once and awhile just for you to get the bling bling for your projects.

Well Smart doesn't take in the ass, and he's got my respect for that. But when he's loosing an argument in his forum you'll notice deletions and bans which are just petty. Also I would prefer it if he could make workable games.

Rosh

Erudite
Simple formula for Derek Smart to follow:

Less time bitching about what doesn't work on the forums, instead use that time to work on making sure the next incarnation doesn't follow the same flaws.

I had posted something of the sort awhile back on Usenet, although I don't blame him that much after Interplay did their business. Yes, IPLY had shitty relations with developers even then. It is regrettable that people decided to go directly to the developer about things they didn't have a choice about (which still is a problem with most publishers, like with ToEE and Atari deciding to use an inferior engine build).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom