Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
But it is not true at tall that they are ugly, or they look like clones, or they look like rectangles. By the way, the picture you posted above shows that the new Cooper face actually looks much better than the first Cooper, who looks like he has Down syndrome.
lol
The original trailer showed a short story, to establish the mood. This trailer showed the viewer all the different scenarios an action can play out, introducing the players to the style of game.
Thank you Captain Obvious.
Which is awesome.
It's not because instead of freshness (like it was with Commandos -> Desperados and Desperados -> Robin Hood and Robin Hood -> Shadow Tactics) we get a re-skinned Shadow Tactics, basically a mod. It's not a genre that can be milked indefinitely which is the reason why so much time passed until we got Shadow Tactics (and it didn't do that well despite great reviews) so they should at least try to bring some freshness to it.
And how does Doc McCoy have all that helium with him all the time? Why doesn't Sam's snake escape once he puts it down? Can you really lure people from their guard duty with a poker card on the ground? These are gamey skills and gamey items, we can argue about each and every one of them if they are portraid realistically.
It was never stated it was helium, just a gas that's lighter than air. And while it is ridiculous anyway, it's nowhere near as ridiculous as the bear trap we see in D3. Firstly, at least it's way cooler than some trap we've seen many variations of, secondly, it's not a deus ex machina because you have to account for the wind direction (there were often maps where you wouldn't be able to put it to much use because of that) and the time opponents need to stand up again (the farther you are the more useless it gets and later on opponents will be KO'ed only for a brief time with one or two stars at worst). And contrary to the bear trap the times you can use it is limited (usually no more than 6 times).

As for Sam's snake, again, it's a way cooler concept. And the snake has more uses than just killing because it can scare horses. Plus if someone will notice the snake they can kill it, how cool is that? Kate's card is the best example out of all you've mentioned but it was a filler skill (so that she would have 5 skills) and I almost never used it (showing legs without the card sufficed most of the time) and a Commandos rip-off.

DemonKing

Arcane
Loved Shadow tactics so this is a no-brainer.

Never played the original apart from a bit of fiddling since it was recently up for 99c on Steam. Had fun with what little I did play. Frankly Shadow Tactics with a Western paintjob would be fine by me.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Glad this type of game isn't forgotten and what a surprise from a small and less know studio to come Shadow tactics and now this. Guys keep going. Maybe we'll see sequels to Commandos as well or Robin Hood The legend of Sherwood.
So good to have new life breathed into this genre.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/desperados-3-brings-shadow-tactics-to-the-wild-west/

Desperados 3 brings Shadow Tactics to the Wild West
Intricate choices and reactive worlds at dawn.

I'm meeting with Dominik Abé, creative director of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and founder of Mimimi Productions. I admit to him that, so far, I'm only half way through the real-time tactical stealth game's campaign. "It's pretty difficult," I explain. "Sorry," he laughs. He needn't apologise. Shadow Tactics is old school by design, inspired by classic, uncompromising stealth games like Commandos and Desperados.

Given the extent to which Shadow Tactics wears its influences on its sleeve, Mimimi seems like the perfect developer to resurrect the Desperados series. I'm shown a partial playthrough of one level of the upcoming game, as new character Hector is rescued by returning series regular Cooper during a bar brawl. Having dispatched their attackers in a cutscene, the pair must slip past more goons camped outside of the bar.

It's classic Desperados in tone, but the art style and presentation is reminiscent of Shadow Tactics—albeit with a detailed, intricate Wild West town replacing the fortresses and temples of Edo period Japan. Hector even plays like a combination of Shadow Tactics' characters Yuki and Mugen. He's a heavy-set lad capable of carrying two incapacitated guards and armed with a shotgun that can deal massive damage in a wide cone, but who can also set bear traps with which to ensnare patrolling guards.

The focus seems to be more on using combinations of characters. So while Hector can set a trap, you'll need to use Cooper's whistle to draw a guard towards it. And, true to the genre, things quickly escalate in difficulty, with large, open areas that require synchronised takedowns, and special, armoured enemies who can deflect Cooper's throwing knife.

Slipping away from the bar, Hector and Cooper reach the town proper—a bustling thoroughfare full of people going about their day. This is a 'civil' zone, where Hector and Cooper are free to explore without being harassed. "In a Western town, an armed cowboy doesn't draw too much attention," explains Abé. "Only if you do something suspicious—if you kill somebody, people react to you—but as long as you just walk around and don't do anything you're good."

This is one of the main things I saw that clearly differentiates Desperados 3 from both its predecessors and Shadow Tactics. "It's kind of new for the genre," says Abé. "Before there were only the possibilities to disguise yourself. Here, we have the possibility to have more cool settings, because it would be weird if, in a Western town, if everybody would start shooting at me."

Hector enlists Coopers help checking off a hit list of targets. There are multiple people around the map in need of killing, but, for the demo, we focus on only one – the new owner of the local brothel. As the pair explore, they overhear snippets of conversation that hint at ways to complete each objective. We learn that there's a stash of laudanum hidden inside the brothel, and that the owner has a drinking habit. That suggests a potential outcome: if the pair can steal the laudenum, they can use it to spike the owner's whisky supply, poisoning her. This is just one option: the two could also try infiltrating the building for a more direct kill.

"It depends on the map, but mostly we have at least two major paths to approach [an objective]," says Abe. "Like, really major, where you're like, 'I played the map and didn't tackle this area'. You have a lot of freedom and replayability."

I like this approach as an evolution to real-time tactical stealth games. The slow, thoughtful pace (and high difficulty) remains in tact, but here Mimimi are bringing in elements of more action-oriented stealth games like Hitman into the mix. Desperados 3, like Shadow Tactics before it, may be old school, but that doesn't mean it can't evolve and improve the genre.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Bought Shadow Tactics because of this announcement.
incline.png

also: Shadow Tactics is on sale at the moment.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The western setting is a slight disappointment, if they were going to revisit one of the old games in the genre I'd have preferred Commandos. Still a:d1p: based on the quality of Shadow Tactics though.
:takemymoney:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Great now I'm afraid it can't run good on this piece of shit computer.
How piece of shit? I think I have a piece of shit (X4 840, R7 360 on 8gb RAM) but Shadow Tactics runs flawlessly. The spec requirements are the same, going by the Steam page. Not like you need more than 30 FPS to play a real time tactics game.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I'm so happy, I'm still not ever this announcement :D.

Shadow Tactis was one of my Top 5 games last year and Desperados I is still one of my all-time favorites. I would have loved another Shadow Tactics, but this is awesome too! Now I just hope, that this is more Spaghetti- than Wayne-Western (Desperados I was very Spaghetti), but I'm optimistic. Mimimi told a solid story in the last game, so I am really curious if they can top that.

And nothing against Commandos, but the Wild West is better suited for a good story and characters (but I'm biased, because I'm german and WW2 for me is just depressing).

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
While I am not a huge fan of the gameplay and setting, Shadow tactics is one of the best looking games I ever played, and you can really see how much love was put into it.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
A weaker setting than Shadow Tactics. I think that the gameplay style would have gone very well together with vampire hunting.
Still great that we are getting more of the same type of game, Shadow Tactics biggest flaw is that there aren't more and harder maps.

v1rus

Arcane
:incline: thats for sure. Recently beat Shadow Tactics, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

There is just one thing that bothers me. Shadow Tactics had the most trite as hell plot I ever seen. Now, its been like 6 years since I played the first Desperados, so, I may be misremembering, but wasnt Desperados writing sorta decent? Havent played neither Desperados 2 or Helldorado, but, in case all three games had even remotely decent plot, that prolly aint coming back here, judging by how rudimentary Shadow Tactics writing was.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Need more Western games. Dunno how folks can dislike the setting, it's got everything you'd want it's just a question of how much of it creators want to use.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
There is just one thing that bothers me. Shadow Tactics had the most trite as hell plot I ever seen. Now, its been like 6 years since I played the first Desperados, so, I may be misremembering, but wasnt Desperados writing sorta decent? Havent played neither Desperados 2 or Helldorado, but, in case all three games had even remotely decent plot, that prolly aint coming back here, judging by how rudimentary Shadow Tactics writing was.

Hmm, I found the story alright and quite fitting for the setting. They had a solid structure, recurring themes and a nice conclusion. Of course they used known archetypes, but you got a good feeling for the characters and how they relate to each other and for this kind of game it was good.

What nis not good, is the plot and writing of Desperados II. They did horrible things to all the characters, you don't recognise them anymore (especially Kate and poor Sanchez). In this games less is better than more, but I think the story of Desperados III is in good hands.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
:incline: thats for sure. Recently beat Shadow Tactics, and enjoyed the hell out of it.
How fitting, since I completed it too just an hour or two ago.
Story was indeed pretty trite, but not too bad. I've seen worse, it was basic but it did the job.
Level design was largely hit, but I think 3 levels out of the 12 (IIRC?) were miss. Also wasn't a fan of how much they limited your characters, and the annoying as fuck Samurais everywhere that you were FORCED to either waste ammo or use Mugen (who isn't there a large portion of the time) on. It annoyed me to no end that often it felt like there was no way to do something without getting caught or making it loud with pistols.
Still a great game though. Never really played any RTT before but it was 9/10.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno how folks can dislike the setting
Because it's been done. I don't think the setting is that big of a deal though.
Shadow Tactics had the most trite as hell plot I ever seen.
Both games have the same plot. You start by gathering information on the badguy, then you go defeat the badguy, but it turns out you have the wrong badguy and the real badguy was one of your allies all along. Then you defeat the right badguy. The end.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
https://www.mimimi.games/

game_kartoffel_small.jpg

Codename Kartoffel
Codename Kartoffel is a first in our portfolio: the project is a natural follow-up to our previous game. It’s still a real-time tactics game. After finishing Shadow Tactics, we felt like staying true to a genre at least once, so we could put all those lessons learned to good use. With the burning ambition to improve technology, gameplay, and controls, adding even better and cooler features, also comes the burden of striving to fulfill expectations. As usual, we want to deliver the best possible project. We’re on it.

"burning ambition" eh?

also "Mimimi" productions :lol:

Big Wrangle

For those curious, Mimimi is a german phrase for people thet beg and whine like a bitch, hence the "making games and crying about it since 2011" on the site.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom