Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Destiny 2

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by anduin, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    I can't wait to see them release Destiny 3 with half of the things missing again.

E: I've gotta be honest, I have no idea how this game has such massive playerbase. If this is the lowest common denominator, then humanity is truly fucked.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Well, I'm going to give this a try, at some point.
    Since its free, the worst thing that can happen is that it is so bad I won't even get a laugh out of it.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    its 90gb

^ Top  
  4. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    It's 76GB on disk, but the download is game first and then a huge patch on top of that.

^ Top  
  5. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Meh, did that overnight.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Played it for a while, since it's free.

It's not exactly good, but it's rather pretty and runs well on PC (could run it at 4K on a single 1080 GTX without any lags anywhere).

Probably worth the download just to check out the graphics on the varied environments on the different planets. Tutorial is a bit annoying and the game seems to expect you to know some of the characters from the first part. Main campaign seems short (somewhere ~12 hours to finish) while you can mostly ignore the somewhat boring Sidequests. Setting/gameplay seems like a Mix between Mass Effect, Borderlands and Dead Space with a lot of elements aped from other franchises like Warhammer and StarCraft.

• decline decline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    id actually call it a mix of star wars, jurassic park and lion king with quotes taken straight from them

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I tried it but found shooting and level/encounter design to be really bland, and this comes from someone who likes Borderlands.

• Agree x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    The Gambit mode is open until november 11 for those who only have the base game. It's PvE horde mode but the other team have opportunities to enter your field and slow your progress.

More or less, just their names and job. You're playing as the same character from D1 but PC players and console players who don't have a save file from D1 have alternate "newcomer" dialogue where some characters have amnesia and deliver some "What's a paladin?"-level sentences. Especially fun for people who played the console-only D1 and migrated to PC to play D2.

I lost a few brain cells arguing with a guy on Reddit who said it was perfectly logical for the characters to forget about major allies and antagonists because he didn't play the first game and since RPGs are about roleplaying as yourself, it makes sense that your veteran hero would forget too, and solutions like "have the avatar explain what a paladin is to some NPC so the new player knows what is going on without making the story nonsensical" are a silly elitist idea. This was before the NPC meme but might have been my first experience with it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Tried the game and well, no wonder they are giving this shit away for free.

Typical console UI/UX cancer aside, I hated shooting mechanics (aim assist triggered me, most weapons lacked punch too) and the fact that half of the weapon types are very restricted (shotguns, snipers, all sorts of launchers etc.). The rest is basically borderlands in space, with slightly better movement and worse everything else. Uninstalled after 4 hours (and I was playing with friends, solo it's WAY worse).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Got to ~550 light level.

Everything about this game is bland. The stats are bland(10+ points in resilience gets you... about 4% more health,) the items are bland(outside of exotics they barely differ at all,) the enemies are bland, the classes are bland. It's like they went so far out of their way to make sure everything was safety scissors & bubblewrapped for casuals that they forgot to actually put a game worth playing in there.

But hey exotic items look cool and they can change your character a lot -- oh wait, you can only equip 1 exotic armor piece at a time.

Why does this game have classes when they're basically identical beyond animations? The titan description tries to make him sound like a tank but all three classes are basically paper. The PvP is horrid, it's just everyone jumping around one shotting each other with shotguns. Speaking of PvP, I'm pretty sure that's why the game is so fucking boring -- "muh balance", yeah it's easy to balance when everything is identical and boring.

The community is nonexistent ingame. By default, you aren't put in any text chat channels, you have to fucking opt-in. Apparently it's because the social lead is a fat woman who was bullied(not joking.) In my entire time playing, I've chatted with maybe two other people ingame. The ingame matchmaking features are horrid, the 'major' overland events(e.g., escalation protocol) are essentially impossible to complete without resorting to a third party tool to find a group. Some genius thought it was a good idea to lump people who want to do major events with people who are doing quests and collecting shit in the same instance. To form a group to do these events you have to actually abuse the instance matchmaking until 3 of your people get in the same instance to 'anchor' it and invite everyone else because there's no way for everyone to just queue in together, what a fucking disaster.

The game suffers from severe consolitus. The biggest one that always pisses me off is having a single button perform ~80% of the games various actions, never fucking fails with consolitus.

I'm done with it, this game is trash. Sad because I'm actually a rather big fan of the borderlands series and this looked promising. It's like someone looked at borderlands and decided to make an online copy of it without actually playing the game itself.

Oh, and the story is kinda cool. I just wish it wasn't attached to such trash. The main story itself is ass and is horribly written, but the actual worldbuilding is neat.

EDIT: The game runs great, BTW. One of the few positives, the programmers at Bungie did a good job.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    I have a 1060 and the game definitely does not run "great". Especially considering that it does not look great either.
    Maybe it's CPU bound, considering it's a console game that's highly probable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Don't leave, we need your help!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Wish there was a game like destiny 2 except actually an RPG.
    Tried The Division and the overall theme/story put me off playing it

^ Top  
  15. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Shooting seems passable, certainly better than some other series like the late "Fallout" or some recent Multiplayer "Shooters" like "Overwatch". I think the things that the engine can handle and the varied design is probably one of the best things about the game though. Completed the main campaign and got to Lvl20, main story got kinda repetitive near the end and it seems to kind of open up a bit and offer some other stuff to do after finishing the campaign, but I'm getting a bit into the grind with my equipment reaching ~270 Power.

I can only reiterate that it's probably worth it just to take a look at the various landscapes on the different planets and moons, the "level design" might be rather straightforward and relatively linear, but the art design and world building seems top notch, varied and at times even impressive:
    Screenshots (open)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Btw. if anyone is interested in the "story" of the first Destiny, since it didn't come out on PC, this has most of the cutscenes & stuff, main story ends @ 28min:

So you bought the Expansions? I was talking about the Free portion of the game that people with a Battle.Net account can still get till the 18th: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bli...y-2-pc-free-on-battle-net-through-november-18

I disagree, I barely see anyone use Shotguns in PvP, the weapons of choice for many people seem to either be Hand Cannon or Sniper, personally I prefer Auto or Scout, and regarding "every item being the same", even within specific weapon classes there seems to be much better and worse gear e.g. weapons that fire a lot faster but you have to reload more, different precision and gun-feel etc. From my experience so far, the biggest problem with PvP isn't that it's "too balanced", but that it's not balanced at all. You can queue up to some Events as a "Free" Level 20 player without the Expansions and you end up with Level 50's that can One-shot you, putting you at a constant disadvantage. Thankfully there are some game Modes where Level restrictions are disabled.

I agree with most of this part, there's almost no way to communicate with players in game and it seems to be done on purpose. In my total time playing, getting to Level 20 and doing most of the Available stuff I think I saw two or three people use the chat at all, and it's almost impossible to find a party for some of the Events that unexplicably have no queue like the "Nightfall Strikes", to the point that people need external "Looking For Group" tools: https://destinytracker.com/destiny/lfg?system=pc https://www.reddit.com/r/Fireteams/

Most of this seems to be because they disabled Local chats and made them Opt-In, also Whisper is restricted to Friends and Clan members, so you literally can't even talk to anyone and ask them if they want to party up and the Fire Team invite seems to also be hidden away in Submenus, so barely anyone accepts an invite. It seems perplexing why they would do this, but I looked up what you said and this is apparently their "Social Lead":

None of this is much of a problem for players that just grab the Base game for free, want to Level to 20 or play through the Story once though, it's mostly a problem with "Endgame content". I disagree with the "matchmaking features" being horrid too, for the events that you can queue up to e.g. Normal Strikes, PvP, Gambit and similar the team finding seems to be relatively reliable and reasonably fast. Why they excluded the Nightfall Strikes and some of the other stuff from it only they know.

https://business.financialpost.com/...per-bowl-ring-philosophy-to-balance-community

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    There are no LMGs, 0/10.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Actually one got added yesterday. Or rather, reintroduced because it's a popular exotic from the first game :M

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    the game would be all around much better if it didn't feel so fucking dead thanks to this
    it might even be redeemable

^ Top  
  19. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    This is ironic. I just got into a pvP match and the top player was shotgun sliding killing everyone

^ Top  
  20. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight

^ Top  
  21. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    So I played more and the game is very fun. Shooting is solid and level design is mostly linear. Loot based stuff is somewhat addicting, but I didn't like how I got a quest and couldn't harm any enemies because my power level was too low and they could one shot me. I find that increasing your power level purely depends on just equipping the right combo of weapons & armor/gear.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    The above review makes no fucking sense and it largely describes concepts that are obvious to anyone who's spent 5 minutes playing any game in the genre. 10/10.

^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I think I understood what he meant

Gear "stats" are worthless. The base stats do almost nothing, many of the random affixes have been tested and do absolutely nothing at all. No direct values are given to the players because that might confuse people who require safety scissors.
    So the only thing to do with gear is just equip the one that has the higher power level. That's pretty much the only choice that matters at all.

At that point it's pretty much a "why even have gear?" thing then you remember it's for the skinner box.

The game design itself is horrendous but some parts of the game are really well done. Specifically, the world building/environments/actual gunplay. It's definitely worth playing the singleplayer campaign if you picked it up for free because it's pretty much everything that's good about the game.

^ Top  
  24. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    lol, I'm one of those people who never partook in the MMO craze, lets just say I've been playing this game for the past two days and it is addicting primarily because of this.

The gunplay is very good in this game as a shooter, I expected nothing less since Bungie made Halo but the shooting is even better here than the last Halo games I played and it is generally fun. When you directly compare it to other MMO/Rpg shooter hybrids like your Fallouts, Borderlands, Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Deus Ex, etc. Destiny's shooting is far better, the hitboxes are tighter, the weapons have a kick to them, especially their pistols (something Bungie has done well since Halo) and the general movement is fine.

The environments look great from an aesthetic perspective and there can be a large amounts of enemies on screen to drive up difficulty at times. One thing I don't like is that there are a lot of lights at times, it is really shitty to be in combat and turn in a direction and your whole screen turns white.

The missions are repetitive. Main missions are usually go here and progress through linear paths and keep killing people against enemies that while they have different factions are compromised of very similar enemies across the board in different clothing. You have the zombies type enemy that just run at the player with no weapons to try to beat you to death, enemies with guns but no shields, the stronger enemies that have shields and stronger weapons, the wizard/magic user that flies with shields and shoots magic beams, and the strongest enemy types with lots of armor/shields/weapons.
    The same strategy is used to defeat them and is successful across the board, but the 5 different enemy factions make sure that things don't get too boring because they will always look different from each other.

The closest I can compare it to is a prettier Borderlands with better multiplayer integration and shooting. I like the public events that happen in the game and how it brings other players together, but I don't like how this doesn't happen much in the actual games main missions. So far I haven't played a main mission with any random, and it seems that I have to manually add players into my fireteam for that to happen. It is a missed opportunity that other players can't just stumble into your world and help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    How the fuck can anyone call this Cowadoody ADS combat with all identical weapons "Good gunplay" with a straight face? Is this your first FPS?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)