Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Detective CYOA

Wild Slop

Arcane
Get him to pull out another cigarette if he refuses to say anything
2nd this.
Waste of a long ride not to be filled in, he can get back to his romance novel later.

EmoBunny

Savant
A:

"I need to think you stupid motherfucker."
You pull out another cigarette. Fitz again makes a grab for it. You pull away.
"Look, do you want my help or not? I can't think under these conditions. I need my fucking smokes man."

Fitz thinks for a second before going back to his book. You light your cigarette and start to puff away.
The car starts to fill with smoke, and the driver dismissively rolls down the window next to you.

Several times you try to engage Fitz in conversation, but he seems intensely interested in the book he's reading.
Eventually, you give up trying to talk and settle down to the task of working your way voraciously through the rest of the pack. You silently lament that you hadn't had time to grab your whiskey flask before hurrying out the door.

After about an hour, the driver stops and says, "We're here."

Fitz looks up from his book. "Good," he says. "Get working."
"What happened here? What information do I have to go on."
"Come come now, you're the brilliant detective that's done oh so much for this grand old county of ours. I'm quite sure I won't need to be involved at all."

He just about shoves you out the door, and the car drives off.

Surveying the scene:

There are two buildings, a house and what used to be a barn, but has fallen into disrepair. Do Not Cross tape is crudely set up around the barn. A young police officer is sitting next to a young boy. Not much of the usual hustle and bustle of a crime scene is present.

CSI does not seem to be there at all.

You approach the police man. "Officer, what happened here?"
"Sir, I don't know much," comes the reply. "I was just about to take the boy's statement. All I know is, the vic's in the barn shot in the head."
"Who's in charge of the scene?"
"Well," he says uneasily. "I am I guess. Or you now. I don't know, I was the only one called over."

Jesus one guy? What the fuck is going on here.

"Allright," you say. "Go inside the barn and look for anything important, but don't touch or disturb anything."
"I know that sir," he says a bit reproachfully.

You turn to the boy.

"What happened?"
"I was wandering along, and I saw the barn. It seemed like...I don't know, something was off I guess. I looked inside and there he was lying there. He was obviously dead. So I called the police on my cellphone."
"You were walking along in the middle of private property?"
"You don't live out here, do you? Everybody walks everywhere."
"Did you touch anything in the barn? Move anything?"
"No."

Are you:

A. Trustful of the kid's story.

B. Suspicious of his motives for being out here.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I can attest to having lived in an area where everyone walked everywhere but its only pragmatic to treat everyone as- fuckit, better to finish up soon and get in there to make sure the rookie isn't messing up the scene

A

Esquilax

Arcane
I think the kid's on the level. Antagonizing him would be petty and stupid.

A

Heey, we haven't finished interrogating the prisoner yet - why do we have to choose whether we trust his lies so early?

Anyway, B. He's talking too straight for a child who's just seen a corpse.

EmoBunny

Savant
A:

"Allright," you say. "Well is there anything else you can tell me? Did you hear anything beforehand? Did you see anyone suspicious?"
"No, nothing like that."

You look at the kid for a moment. "I'm gonna go inside and check things out. The officer will come out and take an official statement and your information in case we need to contact you."

You walk into the barn. You see the victim lying on the ground. He was wearing a plaid shirt and jeans. There's an entry wound from the bullet found on the right side of his head, no exit wound. A gun is lying next to the man's right hand.

You see the officer walking the inside of the barn pretending to be looking for clues but clearly waiting for you to tell him what to do.

"When did the kid call this in?"
"About three hours ago."
"And you arrived?"
"About twenty minutes after that. I established the perimeter and sat down with the kid."
"So you...were sitting with the kid for almost three hours...and got nothing that whole time?"
"Look," he seems completely distraught. "This is my third day as a cop. I don't exactly know what to do. This is the first time I've seen a body. They sent me out alone with no instruction, I just don't-"
"It's fine," you cut him off so you don't have to keep listening to it. "Just go out to your car and call for a forensics team, the first thing we absolutely need is fingerprinting on that gun. Then talk to the kid."
"...Okay."

He leaves, and you turn back to the scene.
A moment later, "The kid's running away."

"Goddammit," you mutter to yourself as you hustle out of the barn.

When you get outside you see the cop hurrying after the kid, but the boy is nearing the forest perimeter of the property.

Do you:

A. Follow the kid, he's running for a reason.

B. Call the officer back, the kid probably just doesn't want to talk.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I'd rather just let the cop chase him and stay at the scene. The kids already besting the cop who has a head start, kid will be in the forest well known to him and its its night... Plus we got a cell phone to trace if that's worth anything, also tracking down a local boy's identity shouldn't be too hard. Assuming hes local.

B If nothing else to be lazy and for a bad decision to make things more interesting,

Monty

Arcane
So the options are either both of us chase the kid or both stay at the scene? Negatives to both options obviously, and not sure we can leave the crime scene unattended to head into the forest. Although running off is clearly suspicious as was his initial statement that the 'barn looked off somehow'.

So pursue the suspect or secure the crime scene? If the crime scene isn't secured then any possible conviction is unlikely and there may still be evidence we can use.

Guess I'll go with B.

EmoBunny

Savant
B:

"Officer come back," you call. "It's not worth it."

You wait for him to come back. "Get on the horn and get forensics over here, that's what's important right now."

---

While waiting for the team to show up, you scour the barn, but nothing of interest appears to come up.

CSI shows up and dusts the gun, no prints. The body is searched and a driver's license reveals the dead man to be John Dolan. 48 year old Caucasian. Quick background check reveals wife, no kids.

You recognize Mandy Hummel. She sees you and walks over.

"I'd estimate time of death about 7 hours ago, but I can't be more specific than that until the autopsy."
"Thanks Mandy."
"I'm glad you're on a case again."
"I suppose I am too, I just wish it wasn't something trivial."
"Trivial? A man has died. How can you make something like that trivial?"
"There are on average 1,345 murders in this city and the surrounding area. This is just a drop in a large bucket. I'm not the one making murder a triviality, the criminals are."

You mull over everything. This whole investigation has been done in such a slapdash way; what is Fitz doing?

The gun turns out to be registered to one Maxwell Doherty, the victim's father in law.

Do you:

A. Search the house, there might be something in there.

B. Go to Doherty's address and check him out.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
What, and further jeopardize this case by taking matters into our own hands?

This is what the CSI is trained to do, leave the grunt work to them. Unless you're planning on leaving the reins of this investigation to officer Numbnuts over there, what this needs is some leadership. So man up, delegate some responsibilities and move on. Time's a wasting. Every second spent twiddling our thumbs means the killer is one step further away and, given that our buddy Fitz has basically given us the ball to run the whole field with, we can't rely on anyone else to do the hard decisions.

B. Get your goddamn priorities in order.

Kz3r0

Arcane
A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom