Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders - PnC Incline

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Sukhāvatī a.k.a. ManjuShri Patron

Sukhāvatī
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Key claimed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Played through the tutorial, it's promising so far.

There's intrigue afoot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Same. My only two bits of criticism so far are:

1. The way the characters speak feels a little bit too modern-ish, but I can live with it.
    2. The deduction board should have been called "diduction board" :rpgcodex:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, if the prologue is anything to go by, this is going to be a real treat. The author has the cadence of good detective stories down to an art. Even the first short case has a nice buildup of clues, some misdirection and a shocking twist. This is how it's done, friends.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    i didnt even know this is released. d1p

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    [​IMG]

• incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Played just a bit, and first impressions are great. Good vibe, great on-point writing though indeed with some unnecessary modernisms, and a classic but intriguing setup for the opening mystery. Bonus points that opening scenes and music, etc. don't need to lay on THIS IS CHINA thickly like Jade Empire, and first indications are that it even gets the Korean ambassador side of the story pretty spot on.

I thought it was handing a few hints out a bit easy, e.g. just in dialogue instead of figuring it out yourself, but I want to finish this case here to see how it pans out difficulty/plausibility/etc wise.

minhta no plans for a switch version? There've been numerous cases where indie games get better visibility on that store, the pricing expectation is higher (less big fat 75%+ sales, harder piracy, etc), and some games have really taken off sales & players-wise on the platform. Seems like the art style would arguably work even better there, too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    finished the first case. that was pretty fun. intriguing, political setting with a twist. a bit easy on the side and like tigrane said, the first case pretty much solve itself you just need to collect stuff and exhaust dialogue, but i expect the other case will be more complex (since most detective games i played so far have super easy fisrt case for tutorial from phoenix wright, danganronpa even the recent lamplight city)

but yea, great atmosphere, novel setting (murder mystery in ancient china, dude how cool is that? ) and the mystery is great.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Sooo is it out as a whole game or is this some early access or episodic thing?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's the complete game, a bit short and on the easy side, but a decent story and puzzles.
    :4/5: (3 + one troll awarded for the novel setting)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    halp

Show Spoiler
    I'm supposed to get the book about ancient scripts from the amnesiac woman at the market, but I can't see how. She says visual cues help her remember things, so I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to show her the scribbles by Lt Ma or the pink cloth with the symbol I found in the perp's house, but Dumbfuck Di says "I have no reason to show this to her" all the time. What exactly am I missing here? Honestly this almost looks like a bug.

^ Top  
  14. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Darth Roxor The pink cloth worked for me, so that does sound like a bug. EDIT: Unless

Show Spoiler
    you haven't shown her the plaque from the library yet, which the game wants you to do first -- so the woman can remember the library & the book -- so you can then ask her about the script. This kind of rigid order doesn't make much sense but this game can be like that.

Also, while I really like this game's style, I can't help but feel disappointed by how linear and casual it is. No real detective work to be done by the player, it's just a matter of exhausting all relevant dialogue and interaction options. The few real puzzles were also way too easy (sometimes to the point where I was overthinking things but the solution turned out to be very simplistic, like in the go puzzle). Still worth playing for the setting, though.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Yeah, I haven't shown her that other thing, because it totally makes sense to take it in the first place. Thanks :neveraskedforthis:

And yep, I strongly agree with all the rest, especially the bit about no detective work. Di just arrives to all conclusions on his own. The deduction board is largely a pointless progress tracker. It's only the case reenactment that you have to do by yourself, and it's not like it gets the noggin joggin' particularly much.

^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Aaaaand finished. Positive points for style etc. and puzzles that felt ok, though only one had me stumped for a longer while (the two words riddle). Negative points for linearity/railroading because frankly it's pretty ridiculous for a "detective" game to never let the player actually do any real detective work and instead have the player character do all that stuff more or less automatically.

Also I felt one thing was very dumb:

Show Spoiler
    The fact nobody figures out the roses were silk. "Umg I never noticed cuz I was holding them by the stalk" - like seriously? This is an ultra-lame and hardly even believable copout, especially for Di who has a number of perceptive observations throughout the game. It was my #1 thought that they are not real roses already at the first one, the moment someone remarked it's weird how they never wilt FFS.

Also a bit disappointed that the corrupt ex-magistrate never had any real significance.

But on the whole it was fun, I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Played through a bit, solved couple chapters. I think the consensus is clear. Lovely setting and charm that sticks around throughout, some of the lines are done really well, but the gameplay element of it veers too much towards "read and click things and you know exactly what happened immediately". To exaggerate a bit it's too close to a reading test than a sense of murder mystery.

I think the key factor is that whenever there's a suggestive piece of evidence that helps the player move onto the next stage of hypotheses, the detective blurts out exactly the correct interpretation straight away. And sometimes he even tells you literally what you're supposed to say at the case reenactment!

Show Spoiler
    Such as immediately exclaiming how the General must now be innocent, or how the women are all united by their recent return - which is bloody obvious anyway, but it's silly for the detective to say it explicitly, and then for the player to be tested on more or less the exact same wording 5 minutes later.

Otherwise, though, it's still very fun. For the price I'd recommend on the style and charm alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Finished.

And verdict stands. Very charming game, certainly worth $10, but not much of a detective game at all.

Which is a real disappointment, because it could have been really good with stronger gameplay. I'm awful at adventure game logic and I get stuck almost every other puzzle in the old ones, but every single puzzle or piece of the story in this game is telegraphed like a Times Square neon sign. I never felt like I didn't know what was going on, or that there are big mysteries behind the scenes, or that there's two or three different ways to interpret the course of events.

Sometimes, you want some experience of searching or thinking to make the sequence feel realistic. At the end:

Show Spoiler
    You finally track down Han Sidong and the Tomb where it's all going to go down. The bodyguard's conversation hypes you up for a dramatic finale in which the bad guy has gotten away bloodied, and you must Indiana Jones the locked door and rescue the Empress. Except you literally press one button and Han Sidong is right there, and the moment he dies he opens his hand to show you the key, and then when you read the lanterns they tell you the freaking passcode in a way a four year old could figure out. It's basically only one degree removed from Han Sidong coming out of the bushes and opening the door for you himself.

So I don't think we can really call it a 'detective game' - but it's a nice, charming, linear, short, no-frills adventure game well worth $10 for its style alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/hoboForEternity/recommended/792040

great game. story is better than i expected. really well written, well thought and well paced. nothing feels dragging nor rushed. the pacing and everything that happen makes sense, and no filler at all. really likeable characters, even in the short time we meet them. i wish they would make a sequel to revisit this setting and casts. puzzles and detective gameplay leave alot to be desired, but it is a great little game.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nope Scholar

Nope
    Decent game, ease of puzzles aside, though it was a little bit dissapointing how it went from an opening that hinted very well at a setting of "ancient China that never was" to becoming more of a thriller set in "modern Canada with Pagodas" by the time you're moving around Chang'an.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Played it, have basically the same impression as everyone else here - not a detective game, but decent, if easy, traditional adventure. Got a little stumped twice because of pixel hunting - you would assume in a game that makes everything so big that'd be a non-issue :? The art style is the best thing about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)