Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Launch Trailer and Reviews

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Aug 19, 2016.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    This settles it.

:d1p:

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    A AAA title getting 81-84 means it's shit and no matter how much the media wants to give it 12/10, they really can't.

If I'm reading the reviews correctly, it seems that:

- the game is very easy on Hard, which isn't really a big deal these days, but it does fuck up a game where using different tools to deal with the obstacles is a major feature
    - the first mission is well designed, the rest is formulaic and uninspiring shit
    - steal is OP and removes what little challenge the game has.

• Informative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    Stolen for signature!

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You do leave room for exceptions, I hope!

• butthurt x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    So almost as good as Doom 4.

^ Top  
  6. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The media is rarely excited about 'same engine and assets' sequels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm willing to believe that its story is a bit fucked up, but since you bring that up, this game is also receiving some of those "more of the same" criticisms and lack of excitement. Even though it uses a new engine, the gameplay and aesthetics are very similar to HR.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    ^ Top  
  8. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    Of course it does, look at this majestic and incline writing:

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    :lol: Source?

^ Top  
  10. Naveen Arcane Patron

Naveen
    Some sort of Square Enix newsletter I subscribed but still haven't labeled as spam for some reason.

Here's the link: http://bit.ly/2bBUy1w

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    ^ Top  
  11. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    @Infinitron

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d...08/19/a-big-heart-with-a-mechanical-soul.aspx

Liberal Agenda the Game

Good ol' Fargoth's Gold.

Dumbing Down: the ride that never ends.

This does sound great but if gameplay is shit, it will be as exciting as playing Oblivion for its much hyped soil erosion.

Bloated HP, easily exploitable scripting, non-existing AI. What's not to like?

http://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/deus-ex-mankind-divided-pc-review

Seems that the awesome visuals (which do look spectacular) came at the expense of everything else: story telling, gameplay mechanics, even scope and length.

PS. Oddly enough most reviews don't mention that there's only city. They say that the world is truly open but don't say that it's a single city game that offers less than its predecessor.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/deus_ex_mankind_divided

8-10 hours, 12 hours with sidequests.

I'm not saying it was aliens especially bad, but it was especially bad.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/08/19/review-deus-ex-mankind-divided/221651/

I enjoyed HR and really liked the DLC, so I was looking forward to DM (coudn't wait, actually), but this review tore the game apart piece by piece, leaving nothing to be excited about. Sure, there's an odd chance that they "didn't get it" or played it wrong but it seems unlikely as the points are well explained and don't contradict what the other reviews say.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Vault Dweller I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm not saying Mankind Divided is good (as the language of my newspost plainly indicates). I was just pointing out that it potentially also has a similar reason for game journalist lack of enthusiasm that New Vegas did.

^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I don't see how. The media loves shiny new things and by the time NV rolled out it was no longer new and exciting but same old shit, a game they've already played once. MD looks fucking amazing, so the eye candy factor is definitely there. However, what these reviews are saying is that the game delivers significantly less than HR in terms of everything but the visuals.

^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Same protagonist, same gameplay, visuals that are still similar enough to the previous game. There's also at least one review that's turned off by an increased emphasis on lore, which suggests similarities with the way New Vegas was received.

*shrug* Just a thought. Perhaps one day you'll play it and tell us your thoughts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    More like similarities with how Pillars was received. The reviews didn't like the infodump way it was handled not the fact that the game has plenty of lore. The gameplay can't be the same if it was streamlined as some reviews are claiming. The context of these claims - they made sure that everyone would succeed no matter what - makes these claims easy to believe. :It's 2016:

I surely will.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. POOPERSCOOPER Prophet

POOPERSCOOPER
    I'm still going to get it and play it....hopefully until finish. I feel a bit like Dues Ex type games are now more common and therefor less impact as they used to have on me.

^ Top  
  17. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Is this Dubai level the one they showcased on the gameplay trailers? Because if it is, the situation is pretty similar with HR, where the levels used for the gameplay trailers were considerably better than the other ones.

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    The Dubai level was shown at E3, but it seemed more like a straightforward/linear tutorial level where you get tons of augs. :M

^ Top  
  19. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    So basically it is Deus Ex: The Fail 2?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Hmm, based on the reviews it looks like a more-of-the-same cash grab.

^ Top  
  21. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    People buy games with 5 hours of gameplay so 15-20 hours is totally fine, especially since there is at least 2 playthroughs in this game.

A bit bummed about the unfinished story, but at least the game turned out good overall.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Director's cut when?

^ Top  
  23. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Was there a nontrivial amount of people who thought Human Revolution was too difficult or is this another case of New-Vegas-playtester-anecdotes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    http://truepcgaming.com/2013/04/11/deus-ex-human-revolution-retrospect-interview/

"In retrospect, I think our game is a tad too hard on normal difficulty. It was quite a challenging game to balance. Our first pass at game balancing was too permissive. Players were playing the game like a typical run & shoot action game. Players weren’t using tactics, let alone their augmentations. It was tricky to find that sweet spot where the game is hard enough that you want to think and use your tools a little bit more, while still allowing the FPS vets to have fun with combat itself. Unfortunately, the game ended up being too punitive for some. If I could go back, I’d tone it down a bit, all over the place (AI, more consumables all in all, redesigned bosses, etc.)."

• Funny Funny x 8
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Well, it seems they achieved what they wanted, popamole balance.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)