Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Launch Trailer and Reviews

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not sure if anybodi posted dis review yet:

I gotta say, the imbalance problems is worrying me. I guess I will have to make a hardest playthrough with "self-imposed" restrictions (no mega saves, no multi-tools, no radar, no objective markers etc.) like that Kotaku guy did. It's not optimal, but it's prob gon be funnier playthrough. Perhaps even just not spending all my praxis points on shit.

(I'm a stealth guy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't think that Dragon's Dogma would have worked as well without the semi free roaming aspect. While it's true that running around the same areas over and over again kinda got tiring after a while (especially during a second playthrough), the game works well because the first time you explore the maps you absolutely have no idea what's gonna happen and the idea of an open world gives with your expectations in a rather nice way.
There aren't many games like Dragon's Dogma but something similar without a party and a "linear" experience are Severance, Dark Messiah and Enclave. In my opinion Dragon's Dogma managed to add exploration done right especially if you happened to start some quests at night. Of course there's room for improvement but ultimately I feel that the open world and the day night cycle were mandatory for a nice experience.
Wrote a wall of text, posted in the DDDA thread.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Interestingly, the developers of Dishonored seem to be anticipating a similar sort of reaction and are spending some time marketing the "no powers" mode for Dishonored 2.

HOpe so, but the mode will probably be shit if the game was not built around it. Disgusting Journos just love to play a game in god mode to finish it quickly and go back to wtv is trending.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
no radar, no objective markers
Any self-respecting gamer disables these anyway, in any game. These are basicly cheats.

Journalists complain:
"oh, I enabled every handholding tool, every cheat-like option and the game is too easy"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Journalists complain:
"oh, I enabled every handholding tool, every cheat-like option and the game is too easy"

Isn't that how the base game is, with all those options on? That's the way the Developer chose to show how their game is/should be played. Can't really fault the Journalist.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Journalists complain:

Isn't that how the base game is, with all those options on? That's the way the Developer chose to show how their game is/should be played. Can't really fault the Journalist.
Well, yeah, those option are on by default to make the game fool-proof, because the majority of gamers are idiots. Still, if someone wants a challenging game, he should turn off these things.

Deleted member 7219

Played on hardest difficulty setting "Give Me Deus Ex", with all the helper HUD shit turned off, completed the opening mission and took a look around my apartment block for a while.

Liking it so far. Hoping it is as good as Human Revolution.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
-Good for exploration
Just the little things, like having to levitate up Tel Aviv, or exploring one of those underwater dungeons with those bastard crab Dreugh or whatever they are called, or the verticality of the dungeons.
Agree, this things were fine, also I quicly got bored by senseless walking, and also failed in game - if you play with max difficulty slider, at some point you will met enemies that impossible to beat. Maybe because I leveled too fast dunno.

It doesn't excel at anything but it has a better character and combat systems as well as the side quests (i.e. 90% of quests in a sandbox game) than ... Fallout 4
Strongly disagree. F3 was a heap of garbage that pretended to be RPG, while its role system didn;t work at all, quests I saw was a garbage (also I am ready to admit that there are good quest) and more than that worldbuilding was complete garbage too with Megathon and Moira Brawn that survived nuclear explosion and the like shit.
On the other hand, F4 had more arcade "role system" that work definitely better, and don't pretend to be RPG, had cool inventory (yay they finally played System Shock 2 or Alien Trilogy dunno) and decent graphics.

though I guess even this bastardized version of Fallout system offers some variety of builds
No. I played ~100 hours, cleared half of map with melee-unarmed character, but that was because I used one of the first mods that tried to change role system into something where role system do matter. Original game's rs is a complete shit, I also played with it.

What I liked about FNV was quest design, C&C, faction play, writing and music and that was enough to carry me through the game. I didn't really like anything it inherited from Fallout 3 (engine, combat, character creation system etc.
Yep, but even that wasn't enough to finish game with its boring shooter-like expierince.

Codex nightmare scenario: Desert island. You can take one game, only from the list of aforementioned shit. Which popamole would you choose?
Instead I'll take roguelikes, I think I can pack in 1 Gb all decent roguelikes. If no - I'll take ADOM, if no - STALKER Misery mod or STALKER NLC 7. Not a RPG but better than F3 in every way.

HR could also turn into a game without challange if you used takedowns and typhoon explosives a lot.
I got every fucking single enemy with takedown and where it was possible (when two patrolman came close to each other) did double takedowns.
I fucking hate it, it isn't "without challange" at all when you want tobe like ghost.
Also I heard they did same stupid thing when takedowns rewarded more then kills right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom