Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get it that you want to trick players, but for me the Chekhov's gun principle should be taken in consideration when designing a game and its skill system.
That's a terrible way of looking at it. Totally backwards, in fact. Games should not be good books. If you want real choices, some things have to be inaccessible to some players, and no player should be able to access everything in a single playthrough.

It seems like the augs are even more overpowered than the first game, to the point mid/end-game Jensen will be a demigod compared to majority of the puny human enemies. Even though augs are hated by the whole "zombie incident" thing, it makes little sense when said augmentations make you way better than most people in pretty much everything, with little drawbacks if any (assuming they forgot about the "rejection drug" plot).

For all its flaws, I thought IW dealt with the 'but augs are so much more powerful than non-aug folk' issue just fine. I.e. by emphasising (both in dialogue and gameplay) that there's not much the augs can do that similarly advanced armour tech can't, with the augs better for stealth and espionage, whilst the anti-augmentation side has fricken iron man suits and are the most powerful faction in direct combat.

Even in the first Deus Ex, the game's tone shifts hard from espionage to comic-book superhero genre about halfway through, with the Dentons and Simons having DC super-hero levels of power imbalance, supported by the enemy grunts' vocalisations as they shit themselves. But the presence of the heavy bots and commando suits is sufficient to clarify that the augmented agents only have a power-balance shifting advantage as agents. In straight combat, there's plenty of other, cheaper, more reliable, options. My impression was that a large part of the Denton project (and its referred to as an aim in the context of the 'Men in Black') was that a key part of their advantage was that they were supposed to be 100% loyal due to being controlled from inception onwards. If augmentation was simply 'more powerful all round', there'd be no reason for the bots and the commando suits to exist alongside the mechanically augmented agents.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Even in the first Deus Ex, the game's tone shifts hard from espionage to comic-book superhero genre about halfway through, with the Dentons and Simons having DC super-hero levels of power imbalance, supported by the enemy grunts' vocalisations as they shit themselves. But the presence of the heavy bots and commando suits is sufficient to clarify that the augmented agents only have a power-balance shifting advantage as agents. In straight combat, there's plenty of other, cheaper, more reliable, options. My impression was that a large part of the Denton project (and its referred to as an aim in the context of the 'Men in Black') was that a key part of their advantage was that they were supposed to be 100% loyal due to being controlled from inception onwards. If augmentation was simply 'more powerful all round', there'd be no reason for the bots and the commando suits to exist alongside the mechanically augmented agents.
It's not really 100% control as much as it is clandestine operations. If a mech or a guy in a cybersuit shows up and asks questions, and then two hours later there's a building of dead people, well its not hard to connect the dots. If a dude in a trenchcoat and sunglasses shows up, that's not nearly as suspicious.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What a bunch of insufferable hipsters. They think they are making a joke, but they are the joke.:neveraskedforthis:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
stlth_tpk_ps3_inlay.jpg

I feel hollow.

Ash

Arcane
I may not like the direction they have took Deus Ex (although it certainly could have been far, far worse, and they didn't do a bad job per se), especially the Black & Gold color theme for a variety of reasons, but I gotta respect that they can laugh at themselves.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided will be great. Whether you like or not, haters.

Likely merely good, not great, just like the last.

Shi3t - Shitman - Turd Ex

And yeah, this. Modern inferior takes of the old classics despite having a larger budget & technologically superior engines and tools.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DX HR was a lot closer to the mark than Thi4f or Absolution. Yeah, the level design could stand to have been better but... eh... Still had a lot of nice vignettes the old one had like if you wait too long to get on the helicopter to rescue the hostages they'll be dead.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I liked DX:HR a lot. Seemed unbelievable, considering that nobody from the original team worked on it. I was totally stoked about the next one. Then I learned that the lead designer wishes they didn't make the game so hard. Almost all interest gone.

I'm a huge pansy when it comes to difficulty in games, but come on! In DX:HR you are already basically a badass, boss-grade Gunther, being treated like newbie JC all the way through. The ability to silently incapacitate 5 foes at once was sorely needed indeed.

I don't think I need to know anything more about the game. They are walking the path of mindless awesome, and I won't be heading that way. If I want to be an indisputably badass cyborg commando, FC: Blood Dragon is the way to go. No pathos attached!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked DX:HR a lot. Seemed unbelievable, considering that nobody from the original team worked on it. I was totally stoked about the next one. Then I learned that the lead designer wishes they didn't make the game so hard. Almost all interest gone.

I'm a huge pansy when it comes to difficulty in games, but come on! In DX:HR you are already basically a badass, boss-grade Gunther, being treated like newbie JC all the way through. The ability to silently incapacitate 5 foes at once was sorely needed indeed.

Given the other things they've said about DX:HR (too much emphasis on stealth, combat not developed enough) my reading of that statement is that they think combat specifically wasn't empowering enough. So I'm not sure it's going to be made easier for somebody who's doing the usual OCD non-lethal knock everybody out/never even pull out a gun thing. They are adding a Dishonored Blinking aug though.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I agree that the combat wasn't developed enough, the variety on enemies were low, there wasn't alot of intense shooting situations (with exception of protecting the choppa setpiece) on it and there was a serious lacking on combat augs. I just don't agree the game was too hard, actually some guns were ridiculous, heavy rifle with laser sight and recoil upgrade, silenced sniper, revolver with explosive rounds, intant KO gas grenades made combat trivial on the later game. They are adding a shock glove where you can stun five guys and Dishonored blink, the potential for difficulty jumping the window is in there. I hope you need to spec out Jensen to be a Rambo with augs and not be a Rambo by default.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom