Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
https://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/eidos-montreal-deus-ex-5

Eidos Montreal are making three games, but Deus Ex isn’t one of them
By
Chris J Capel 15/05/2018

Deus%20Ex%20Mankind%20Divided%20bosses.jpg

Update, May 14: Eidos Montreal aren’t letting Deus Ex go, but they aren’t reviving it just yet either.

Last week, Eidos Montreal studio head David Anfossi confirmed to us in no uncertain terms that “Deus Ex is not dead.” But don’t expect to see another entry in that series in the near future. The development team has three projects in the works, and a new Deus Ex is not one of them.

Still, this means three significant upcoming PC games from a terrific studio.

“At the moment we have three productions at different stages,” Anfossi tells VentureBeat, referencing the expanding size of the studio. “That’s a big change. Before, it was one production at a time, or maybe two. But now we have three productions, three developments in parallel.”

We know the first of those games is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and the second is The Avengers project built in collaboration with Crystal Dynamics. Rumours suggest the third game is Guardians of the Galaxy, though that’s as yet unconfirmed. “I can’t speak about this one,” Anfossi says, “because we’re still at an early stage to define the product itself. But it’s definitely triple-A.”

Anfossi refers to the eventual return of Deus Ex in different terms, however. “We’re a big studio. We’re close to 500 people now. But at the same time, we have three developments in parallel. We have to make sure we deliver the quality we want. No compromise on that. When it will be the time for Deus Ex, it will be the time, and we’ll do it correctly.”

Original story, May 11: Deus Ex studio Eidos Montreal currently have their hands full with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the upcoming Avengers Project, but once these projects are complete it’s been suggested that they are likely to return to the cyberpunk series that made them famous.

We talked with Eidos Montreal studio head David Anfossi about the next Tomb Raider game, and during our time with him we asked about the status of Deus Ex. His reply was adamant - “Deus Ex is not dead, I confirm that.”

Don’t expect Deus Ex 5 any time soon however, as for the moment they have too much on their plate. “Deus Ex, of course, it's the brand of the studio. We are all attached to this franchise, but we cannot do everything, you know? So we have Shadow of the Tomb Raider, we have this co-development with Crystal [Dynamics] on The Avengers, and we have a third game in development, so it's enough at the moment for us.”

This third game previously has been rumoured as another game in Square Enix’s Marvel partnership, based on the Guardians of the Galaxy. One thing it will not be, however, is a new Thief game. Anfossi has previously quashed rumours of Thief 5, and made it clear to us again that, currently, the studio has no plan for it.

“So I should be clear with Thief, in the sense that for the moment there is no plans around that franchise. You know we have three productions and developments here. We are a big studio, but we have… we like to focus on things we do and do it correctly. We’ve proven it, I believe. So for Thief there is no plan.”

We also asked Anfossi about the rumours that Eidos Montreal had been working on a Final Fantasy game that got cancelled, and you can read his response here.

Puukko

Arcane
Finally getting back into DXMD. Some questions;

- seriously, what the hell is up with these animations? The game looks pretty good graphically otherwise, but the animations stick our like a sore thumb. No way these weren't made by an intern. Is mocap not reasonably affordable these days?
- this could be an artistic choice, but there's a bit of jarring difference between some indoors and outdoors areas, where stuff like indoors areas like stairs look like they're missing shadows. Makes them look out of place.
- this map might be the worst I've seen in a while. Can't mouse over stuff, gotta move the static reticule over points of interest. Zooming in or out is super slow and resets when you exit the map.

Those quirks aside, I'm going in with an open mind.

racofer

Thread Incliner
So, Desu Ex Manchild Divided on sale on steam. How shitty is it?

I have heard the story doesn't end, implying a sequel, which will not come now that the game flopped, would tie things up. If so, I won't bother, otherwise, I might bite since I liked the previous game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's literally 5 eur on CD key sites all the time.
It's good but unfinished. The core gameplay is pretty fun, writing is good, story is fine but unfinished. I'd go as far as to say the game is excellent overall aside from the fact that the story is a cliffhanger that won't have a follow up for the near future.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I never played this one, can anyone answer how it compares to IW and HR? (I hated IW and disliked HR).

RoSoDude

Arcane
Mankind Divided is really Human Revolution 1.5 from a gameplay perspective. This would be great, but there are some glaring flaws with HR's gameplay systems, and these problems are maintained (or exacerbated) in MD albeit with some noticeable improvements in some areas as well. It's some steps forward, some steps back, and I'm not sure how to tally up either. The same is true of the game's content -- the main missions are pretty lackluster as is the main narrative, but the hub exploration and side missions are an enormous improvement over HR, and they even gave me fleeting moments where I felt like I was playing a proper Deus Ex game. Even this is a mixed bag, though, since it often feels like you're punished for trying to give a damn about your actual objectives over just wandering around and breaking into people's apartments to raid their cabinets and drawers for credits, booze, and crafting parts. In the original Deus Ex and even HR to some degree, you had to scope around the civilian hub levels for information and clues about how to progress, naturally working exploration and side content into the completion of your goals. In MD it's pretty much a straight shot to your boring main objective to which the interesting exploration and side content is orthogonal. Plus, if you do scour the hub levels for loot you'll be totally overpowered, so the only way to have a balanced experience is to skip all of the cool stuff. See how this is a mixed bag?

As for the gameplay -- well, it feels more immediate and fluid than HR did, and your toolset is expanded in some fun ways, but it's not particularly balanced nor very deep. The new augs are fun to use but show off the game's tendency to only require one action to solve any problem, with the ability to shoot homing multi-KO stun pellets, launch one-shotting explosive nanoblades, blast multiple enemies unconscious at once, activate bullet time, ram into enemies with the game's take on Dishonored's Blink, become completely invulnerable for a short duration, or handily disarm all manner of security systems and traps from a distance. The stun gun and tranquilizer rifle, which were balanced nicely in HR, are now both hitscan and have large magazines, removing much of the skill and planning that was required to use them effectively. Stealth is rendered easy by throwing every tool and idea from various stealth games at you (cover, radar, target marking, representation of last-known-position) in addition to augs like cloak and X-ray vision. Worst of all, the awful takedowns are back and worse than ever, with a long fade to black before they trigger, time-stopping cutscenes that pause the action and make you invisible and invincible to nearby enemies, clunkier animations than the previous game, and a semblance of balance only achieved by them taking energy to activate, which still makes almost no sense. To be fair to it, though, I should mention the positives -- the cover system is greatly improved and its use feels more tactical; the resource economy around crafting parts is interesting because they can be used to modify weapons, create useful items like biocells (though you'll already be swimming in these), and craft ammo for TESLA, Typhoon, and Nanoblade augs to stop them from being totally broken; there's a bit more combat depth with Crysis-style hotswapping of weapon attachments, firing modes, and ammo types; the hacking minigame is deeper than before, with more software types to use and more traps; inventory management is actually pretty solid as it was in HR; path balance is better with XP rewards for alternative approaches (ignoring that the XP reward system sucks to begin with); level design is more vertical and has more on offer than the occasional vent behind a soda machine.

Overall, worth playing if you got anything out of Human Revolution, but if you hated that you probably won't like this. Far more substantial than a lot of AAA offerings in the gameplay department, and the side missions partially make up for a lame main story. For all its problems, I think I still had more fun with Mankind Divided than I did Prey, despite the latter's more hardcore leanings -- I think a lot of this probably boiled down to level design that stayed at a consistent level of quality (not amazing, but pretty good) through the whole experience, to the point that I finished Mankind Divided in under a week but had to force myself to return to Prey over the span of a month.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane

I have heard the story doesn't end, implying a sequel, which will not come now that the game flopped, would tie things up. If so, I won't bother, otherwise, I might bite since I liked the previous game.

It's great in sidequests and sense of place + atmosphere. There is pretty much none of that modern open world checklist/fetchquest nonsense busywork. There is a space for sequel, but the game resolves its central storyline (terrorist attack investigation) and we know what happens next anyway. But I would definitely like to see one more Jensen game that would tie up his eventual fate.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
As someone who rates DX:HR as a 'decent 9' (despite several stupid gameplay decisions wich very well may brake the game for others), I'd say DX:MD is a 'light 8'.

If you're a 'gamplay first' guy and don't care much about the story, you will like it even more and the DLCs aren't too bad either.

Edit: 'DX : MD' written without space creates a Parrot. Who knew? I'll leave it in.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I never played this one, can anyone answer how it compares to IW and HR? (I hated IW and disliked HR).

If you disliked HR then I can't see you liking this one either. I just played Mankind Divided last month and it's basically HR with better graphics. I say that as someone who loved HR and has played it through like 5 times from start to finish, once a pacifist and ghost run. Edgelords can attack it all they like, but it nailed the spirit of its predecessor more than most games. Mankind Divided does the same, but the story feels aimless and incomplete, as said above.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

If you disliked HR then I can't see you liking this one either. I just played Mankind Divided last month and it's basically HR with better graphics. I say that as someone who loved HR and has played it through like 5 times from start to finish, once a pacifist and ghost run. Edgelords can attack it all they like, but it nailed the spirit of its predecessor more than most games. Mankind Divided does the same, but the story feels aimless and incomplete, as said above.

I don't care if people liked HR or not, it was better then IW but it didn't click at all for me for various reasons and I was never able to finish it(I never was able to finish IW either).

Will be skipping this one then, thanks for the straightforward reply ^^.

schru

Arcane
I thought I could contribute to the question of the pronunciation.

The reconstructed classical pronunciation would appear to be (deː ʊs ɛks)*, if I am not confused about the length of the vowels.

The English pronunciation has several variants the correctness of which may depend on the variety of English, but according to the Second Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary the proper traditional pronunciation is (diː ːəs ɛks). Notably, the free on-line version, which is probably supplemented with the on-going work done for the Third Edition, gives /deɪʊs ɛks/ as the primary pronunciation, but that seems like an innovation.

Since the title is based on the term deus ex machina, which is naturalized in English, I would say that it should normally be pronounced in the Anglicized way, just as one would not ordinarily pronounce codex the classical way.

Reference for the pronunciation notation: http://public.oed.com/history-of-the-oed/oed-editions/second-edition/pronunciation/

Carry on; I enjoy reading the Codex very much – it is good to see people criticize modern trends so ardently for a change.

*Edit: I looked further and I am pretty sure now that deus has only short vowels, so it should be (dɛʊs ɛks) for the classical.
I just happened on this, apparently it's from the manual. Resolves how the developers intended it to be pronounced:

Manual_Sleeve.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/game/deus-ex/cover-art/gameCoverId,127349/

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
I still don't know how there's still so much confusion on how to pronounce Deus Ex [Machina]. But here's a helpful pronunciation guide if you're still struggling with it:

schru

Arcane
I just thought it's funny that the pronunciation was spelled out right in the manual, given how the issue pops up from time to time.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was waiting for this game to go on sale. Are there any brain-melting lefty politics to it's writing and is it tolerable? I thought HR was pretty lite on the politics and philisophy of cybernetics, but got kinda perky at the thought of them tackling some of those issues in this game. But I forgot about the semi-hard boner I had for it when I found out about the 'Aug Lives Matter' crap - especially when I realised it was made in Montreal Canada.
I played through HR, so was thinking this was worth a few bob in a Steam sale?.

Vexxt

Educated
It's tolerable - the most "political" thing you will encounter are "Aug Lives Matter" posters and what not.

Honestly, the game IMO was great compared to the steaming dogshit we get fed year after year.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Thanks I was gonna give it a go - even if that Don Peste chap seems to think it was shit.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Not sure why but i really loved Makind Divided, the gameplay was great clearly an improvement from HR. It told a great short stories in it's sidequests, with fascinating characters. The Worlddesign was absolutely fantastic with lots of details hidden in every room.It sadly suffered from the fact that it was supposed to be the second game in a triology. Also Square just blew the game out of proportions with marketing so it could never be a financial success.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I was waiting for this game to go on sale. Are there any brain-melting lefty politics to it's writing and is it tolerable? I thought HR was pretty lite on the politics and philisophy of cybernetics, but got kinda perky at the thought of them tackling some of those issues in this game. But I forgot about the semi-hard boner I had for it when I found out about the 'Aug Lives Matter' crap - especially when I realised it was made in Montreal Canada.
I thought it was a bit annoying and very hamfisted at times, but it's easy enough to look past it.

Shamus had a nice (spoiler free) article about it:
http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=33885

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Buy it. Play it. It's pretty much HR with worse story and better gameplay.

Exploring the city is super fun, it's chock full of buildings to break into and things to steal. Neat side missions too.

Also the prison DLC where you start out without augs or items is great.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah like I said not long ago, very good game. Worse story than HR but everything else is just as good or improved. DLC is good too, for sale price. I don't remember any annoying political forcefulness. It definitely has messaging both ways and allows you to react as you see fit, which is a good thing IMO. If you want to never hear a Left-leaning perspective though then might not be the game for you (also WTF is wrong with you?).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
(also WTF is wrong with you?).

Thanks for replies, I'm assuming I can't brofist anything because I'm still a Codex newbie.
In terms of what's wrong with me - you mean the fact that I only got a semi-boner at the thought of another Deux Ex game?. Nah, seriously - I won't derail the thread with politics - but the original game was thought provoking, poitical, and well written. I'm just of the opinion atm that anything produced from the current modern political left (not the old classical one) is based around group think and identity politics - which doesn't really lend itself to original thinking and talented writing. And Canada is...Canada.

Be happy to be proven wrong though...although that would require someone to maket their game with something like 'Aug lives matter!' and then for the writing to be on par with Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, George Ziets, etc. You'll forgive me if I reserve my enthusiasm.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for replies, I'm assuming I can't brofist anything because I'm still a Codex newbie.
In terms of what's wrong with me - you mean the fact that I only got a semi-boner at the thought of another Deux Ex game?. Nah, seriously - I won't derail the thread with politics - but the original game was thought provoking, poitical, and well written. I'm just of the opinion atm that anything produced from the current modern political left (not the old classical one) is based around group think and identity politics - which doesn't really lend itself to original thinking and talented writing. And Canada is...Canada.

Be happy to be proven wrong though...although that would require someone to maket their game with something like 'Aug lives matter!' and then for the writing to be on par with Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, George Ziets, etc. You'll forgive me if I reserve my enthusiasm.

I didn't mean you specifically, but a general "you," and I meant people who can't have any kind of Left-leaning opinion represented in a game (even if their character can shit on it and choose the opposite). I like different perspectives. I'm not saying Mankind Divided is a new classic of writing, but it certainly is not singular in PC Lefty focus. You can be a pro-Interpol terrorist hunter and a bunch of other things.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'll give it a go. I don't think any marketing team wants a Forbes article calling their marketing ham-fisted at release, and I was one of the people that was put off. I'll be interested to see how the issue of cybernetics is handled with Poland V Canada, or Cyberpunk V Deus Ex though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom