Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision Mod

tormund

Arcane
They've gone almost completely silent, one ambiguous statement on their facebook page being only exception. That is telling a lot in itself.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Right, here are my impressions on what I've played of the mod so far. Do note that I'm not going to play further because I'm busy with other games and I don't want to spoil too much of the mod right now, I'm playing from a leak after all.

My main issue with the mod so far; It's not the lack of music, it's not the bugs, it's that the level redesign doesn't seem to be all that different from the original game, and some of the changes are more than questionable. Like Liberty Island is more or less same except everything is too dark, there's heavy yellow lighting everywhere, and there's too much grass overgrowth. UNATCO HQ is a whole bunch of twisty corridors, almost similar to the base design in their demoes except now they changed the lighting and added some offices and handscanners(which are taken from The Nameless Mod, mind you). Hell's Kitchen is basically a confusingly laid out bunch of decorative buildings with some changed placement of key locations that doesn't match up to the signage provided by the original game dialogue and isn't very intuitive. Oh, of course it has slick posters slapped all over, which make no sense given how that area is breaking down and has poor people living in shabby conditions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What's this about yellow lighting? I hope it's not some sort of homage to the piss filter in HR, I enjoyed that game but I really didn't enjoy that urine stain on the gameplay.

MrRobotBear

Literate
Right, here are my impressions on what I've played of the mod so far. Do note that I'm not going to play further because I'm busy with other games and I don't want to spoil too much of the mod right now, I'm playing from a leak after all.

Going to quote Harry's message from the steam thread here:

Hello, Harry here. Lead level designer and creator of Revision. Allow me to adjust here a few things.

First of all, Revision is a game play mod. Not a total re-design of the original. Who would be insane enough to re-design the entire game with the old UED1 engine? Do you know how much work that would require? Ah, but of course the all-knowing Dev221117 should know that.

The whole idea and heart of Revision is to give something new for the players who've played the original so many times that they're bored of it. Revision is not here to replace the original. Nothing can replace it if you ask me. Revision is just a mod among all the other ones, nobody forces you to install it. Revision can be compared with GMDX but on a larger scale.

Let's talk a little about the levels you mentioned. Once again you state your opinion as if it's coming from the whole community. Very annoying by the way. Everything is questionable from your point of view. From all the feedback I've gotten past 3 years regarding Liberty Island and Unatco HQ are 90% positive. This is why I chose to stick with the new lighting instead of the original one which was too bright for my tasting and it turned out to be good choice for majority of the people. Not everyone can be pleased, that's just the way things go. You're the first one to complain about UNATCO HQ as if it's too complex for you to handle. No, it isn't too complex. You're experiencing something new and you don't want to adopt it nor give it a chanche. Do you even want to experience something new? You should ask that question from yourself. Funny that you mention the hand scanner from TNM, and again you make it sound it as if it's bad thing. FYI most Deus Ex mods have stuff from other mods and they share it with the little community. We've asked TNM for permission to use some of their decorations and they've been credited. (If you're even interested hearing that)

Hell's Kitchen now is a lot larger than the original level and the dialogs do match with the new layout. But now it's too big and unintuitive for YOUR tasting. Tell me something Dev, what kind of mod do you even want?

I wouldn't put much weight on your sayings. You're not even experiencing the mod the way it's meant to be played. Playing without music, important system files, New Vision, HDTP(Revision was designed with these mods in mind) and ghosting through levels just to see what's new and jugde the mod by that... wow. I have no words.

Dev_Anj

Learned
My response to Trasher's comment:

Funny how there's no change to the gameplay systems whatsoever and you're taking Human Renovation to make changes. Besides you advertised Revision as a total redesign mod, but clearly it's not.

Yeah, and my problem is there's very little new, and what new things you've put in I don't like.

Just because people have been liking your redesigns (who mostly seem to be testers and some people on ModDB by the way) doesn't mean I have to like them. No, UNATCO HQ isn't too complex to handle, it's not like it's a level from a dungeon crawler. It's just that I find the changes to that level unnecessary and it just seems to bloat the level more and throw off the perception of the player for a bit. I don't have problems with you using the hand scanner, but I wanted you to publicly acknowledge that you used resources from The Nameless Mod, since it's good practice. The dialogues don't match the layout, for instance Sandra says that the smuggler can be found around the subway. But his main entrance is nowhere near the subway, it's all the way in a ruined building that can be accessed from a road behind the subway which takes comparatively long to get to.

I didn't go into detail in what I found wrong in those levels, but that's because I don't want to spoil the mod.

Umm, pretty sure I did have New Vision on initially but I turned it off because it sucks up too much CPU space and it was contributing to poor loading times. I'm going to do the same for the final mod too, if it's playable on GOG by any chance(why are you dodging that question by the way). It's just a texture mod, even if the original textures are applied it shouldn't hurt the level design that badly.

I have been using HDTP, albeit HDTP 2 and not HDTP 2015, which I do have. It's an object replacement mod, again it shouldn't affect level design too much.

Important system files? What, the one that allows UI scaling, changing music and stuff? I don't care for those, this mod's main point is the redesigned levels, and so far it doesn't do a good job at that in my opinion.

I told already I don't care much about the music, if in the final mod all the music is great and fits the level then good, but I doubt that. I'm going to be playing with the original music though most likely.

Stop assuming things. I didn't ghost through all the levels, I just ghosted through some levels where I was interested to see the changes, like Ocean Lab or Area 51. After that, I've been playing legitimately from the start.

Nael

Arcane
tumblr_lyty8riJfG1qk5lz9o1_500.gif

Dev_Anj

Learned

PerfectPhallus

Literate
Why are some people so butthurt over this mod? Is it an army of CyberP alts pissed off or something?

I think it's because the mod team has been saying they will release "soon" since 2011, and the mod is something like 7 years old. Now is the first time I've checked since in '11 (or '12?) only to find one big pissing match between the modders and fans over what is essentially vaporware. The link to the leak even returns an error.

Gord

Arcane
Why are some people so butthurt over this mod? Is it an army of CyberP alts pissed off or something?

It has all the ingredients for DRAMA!
- a game people love and feel strongly about
- a mod many people were waiting for since years
- hype
- butthurt modders
- butthurt gamers
- conspirucy

Actually it's almost strange that whole thing hasn't quite reached TSLRP levels yet...

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
So, now they're arguing that Revision is a gameplay mod first and foremost, and an audiovisual redesign only as a distant second. Hilarious indeed...

T. Reich

Arcane
Dev221117 is like a malicious bug, following this mod everywhere and ruining shit for everyone.

Typical ModDB drama indeed, lots of butthurt from everyone, over a free mod that they all invested exaclty zero of anything of value into.

Apparently, it's simply impossible to simply let it be and semi-forget about it until it gets released, amirite? Feckin aspie neckbeards.

Personally, I'm simply waiting until it gets released and then I'm gonna play the shit out of it, regardless of drama.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Dev221117 is like a malicious bug, following this mod everywhere and ruining shit for everyone.

I didn't know that following a mod I'm interested in wherever I go to was such a problem. Anyway, I'm concerned for this because I have a GOG copy and their decision to release it on Steam only will hurt me financially, though I can buy a Steam copy for it. I just hope not to, and want to caution everyone of a potential setback.

MrRobotBear

Literate
I didn't know that following a mod I'm interested in wherever I go to was such a problem. Anyway, I'm concerned for this because I have a GOG copy and their decision to release it on Steam only will hurt me financially, though I can buy a Steam copy for it. I just hope not to, and want to caution everyone of a potential setback.

No, you are not interested in it, you hate it. And that's fine, someone is bound to do that. And no, you have a Steam copy I gifted to you, just so you couldn't have this argument! It's not confirmed that it's coming to steam, but just in case I gifted you a Steam copy since you seemed so nervous about it, and this is the gratitude...

Dev_Anj

Learned
And that's fine, someone is bound to do that. And no, you have a Steam copy I gifted to you, just so you couldn't have this argument! It's not confirmed that it's coming to steam, but just in case I gifted you a Steam copy since you seemed so nervous about it, and this is the gratitude...

Sorry, I have proof that you didn't gift me any Steam copy. What you gifted was an SE copy, which is something different. Here's proof:

BMe2Ynn.jpg

Stop being coy, the SE deal got over, you got your badge, now just be a little honest.

tormund

Arcane
Oh, get a room you two... You have spread your burning love in every place where Revision is discussed, and that in itself is doing some damage.

ONE thing that I want to know, ONE thing that nobody from Caustic wants to address no mater how many people on ModDB and Steam thread ask it, is will this goddamn mod be playable with GOG's release of Deus Ex? Yes or no? Why is that one question so difficult to answer, that you guys either mysteriously disappear or do your best to change the subject every single time someone asks it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom