Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision Mod

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
CC_UK-Cadburys-Amazin-Raisin-bar-pack-1970s.jpg

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"Steam-only." Oh goody. Now I can buy a third copy of Deus Ex, along side my physical and GoG versions. Thanks Caustic Creative...

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why are they favouring Steam? Eidos would benefit from sales on both platforms. Must be due to Steam Workshop.
Rumors are that Caustic Creative is planning to release a bunch of new mod tools for the DX community, and they'd plan on using Steam Workshop as a hub for all DX mods.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Rumors are that Caustic Creative is planning to release a bunch of new mod tools for the DX community, and they'd plan on using Steam Workshop as a hub for all DX mods.
I see. Well...can't really argue there. Steam is a better platform for modding than web-based sources. I guess for CC, considering how the team are so split remotely, constantly updating ModDB and Steam Workshop would be too much of a hassle. Not to mention they won't see a dime from it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The only problem i see with this is that they have refused to address the steam only rumors, and if true it is some truly fucked up shit to not explicitly say to your community "hey guys, we know a lot of you have this game on boxes, or gog, but the mod will only release on steamworkshop, sorry".

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The only problem i see with this is that they have refused to address the steam only rumors, and if true it is some truly fucked up shit to not explicitly say to your community "hey guys, we know a lot of you have this game on boxes, or gog, but the mod will only release on steamworkshop, sorry".
Yeah. Well, Bjorn is from Sweden. So you know...the lack of empathy is genetic haha

This is even worse when you know that Deus Ex was discounted on GOG only recently and they were hyping Revision trough their twitter.
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/653676828754870272

Comment from Steam discussions:

"Originally posted by mKaelus:

The master plan was to time this release, just after the Gog discount. The "non disclosure" thing that bjorn keeps talking, is to prevent people knowing that the game will be steam exclusive, so people buy the gog version, thinking they will be able to play the game, and then to realize their version is now worthless, and they will have to buy the game on steam, therefor twice.

Its square enix, all they want is money, and all CC is doing is giving them money."

Sounds overly paranoid, but I can confirm that they(Caustic Creative) were spouting this "NDA" nonsense from time to time on the ModDB notice board. Dodgy as fuck if it stretches that far. Doubt we'll ever find out.

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant
Comment from Steam discussions:

"Originally posted by mKaelus:

The master plan was to time this release, just after the Gog discount. The "non disclosure" thing that bjorn keeps talking, is to prevent people knowing that the game will be steam exclusive, so people buy the gog version, thinking they will be able to play the game, and then to realize their version is now worthless, and they will have to buy the game on steam, therefor twice.

Its square enix, all they want is money, and all CC is doing is giving them money."

Sounds overly paranoid, but I can confirm that they(Caustic Creative) were spouting this "NDA" nonsense from time to time on the ModDB notice board. Dodgy as fuck if it stretches that far. Doubt we'll ever find out.

What exactly sounds paranoid? It's exactly what they've done. Staying on the finished mod for months, saying how they're in contact with square enix so there won't be "problems". Oh, we can't say, stay close for news. Oh my god, we're releasing the mod on steam only, square enix sends a press release endorsing our mod and launches at the same time a three day sale for the game which we moded. Fucking assholes and sellouts

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Truly a cunt move by the mod team, i mean it would have cost them nothing to say to people that they were planning a steamworks only release.

On facebook

"To ease the pain, we've coordinated with Square Enix to discount Deus Ex by 80%. If you or anyone else purchased DX in the recent GoG sale, you may be able to secure a refund from them and put it towards the Steam sale."

bloodlover

Arcane
I see. Well...can't really argue there. Steam is a better platform for modding than web-based sources. I guess for CC, considering how the team are so split remotely, constantly updating ModDB and Steam Workshop would be too much of a hassle. Not to mention they won't see a dime from it.

I just hope this won't be a trend for other future mods. What if this shit happens with other mods in the future and people will be forced into buying the Steam version if they want to play it?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Downloading now, please tell me the OST by Alexander Brandon is still there, otherwise I'm cancelling the preorder download. The new music is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom