Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

mogwaimon

Magister
The genre better not go anywhere, there are already so few competent entries it's difficult to find anything new. And three of the five major franchises haven't had a new entry in ages (Gaiden, classic GoW, and MGS Rising to be exact)

I'm not sure if Nier can qualify as character action though, isn't it an RPG first and foremost? Please excuse my ignorance, it's on my list of games to play but I haven't actually gotten to it yet. I know the combat was designed by Platinum so it wouldn't surprise me much, I guess.

sullynathan

Arcane
(Gaiden, classic GoW, and MGS Rising to be exact)
you're never seeing classic god of war ever again, nu-god of war is pretty much a reboot and ascension killed old god of war. Ninja Gaiden is done, Razors Edge was a flop and they had already been thinking of ways to get more money since Ninja Gaiden 2. Nioh is more successful anyway so you're seeing a Nioh 2. MGS Rising 2 will probably never come out because it didn't sell that well and unless Konami gives Platinum the rights and money again, they can't make it.

Nier plays like a hack & slash but it is also an rpg, so action rpg. It's Platinum's best selling game though.

I think pumping money into graphics was not really a good idea. They should've stuck with stylized graphics, games like Breath of the Wild are not pulled in through "Photorealism", I think overall that was a waste of money on DMC5's part. Though hard to tell how much the budget was as production quality does not equal to production value.

Action games should have a consistent revenue if they use AA production values instead of dumping too much money on the presentation. I am sure they can get some consistent revenue from this niche. It's really been a while since proper action games, I hope it doesn't go into another long break after DMC5. Make it look like Breath of the Wild for all I care, just be good.

Going the way they went with this graphically (and the animations to make that work) was a great idea for them, it's getting people interested in this style of game who otherwise probably wouldn't have. Just that it's one of the best looking games out right now is going to get eyes on it regardless of what kind of game it is.

deama

Prophet
So how is the campaign structured? Can I play through all of 1 character's missions in a row then move onto the 2nd character's missions or are they selected depending on mission?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

So apparentely like in DMC4, Nero's buster move can be used to counter incoming projectiles. And now he has the ability to punch enemies like a JoJo stand.
V can deflect enemy attacks with his cane.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
This is a bit tough when I played. Sometimes I get it based on timing, other times it just defaults to the buster grab
Just need to use the buster button when you are in the middle of another attack like a sword slash or whatever. You can even do it by spamming the buster button in the middle of a buster grab.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I discovered today that the Rawhide Breaker has a moveset:
B, B, B
B, pause, B
B, B, pause, B (repeatedly)
Air - B, B
Air - B, pause, B (repeatedly)

(B is the Devil Breaker Arm button obviously)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Been trying out already the last hour.
The first 20 floors are pretty much a warm up since they introduce every enemy of the game mostly separately, so can gain enough time. Floor 20 is Goliath.
And now we have a option called Warm Up, that let's you play the floors you were able to reach individually. So for example I haven't yet reached floor 20 but haven't completed it, so I can play up to that floor. So of course this depends on the character you're using, if you only reached floor 10 with Nero, you'll be only able to play until floor 10, but if with Dante you're already at floor 17 you can play until 17 with him.
You can also now Suspend (quit in the middle of the campaign and starting from that floor).
Every 10 floors with Nero you have a non-combat floor to choose your Devil Arms.

Here's some screenshots:

Gctqtst.jpg

41SaBOZ.jpg

I discovered what situations V is most fun to with. It's when the screen is filled with enemies. That's when the game starts to look like a Michael Bay movie with the explosions and shit flying around.

Anyway there's no Co-Op to Bloody Palace, what a shame. They really need to do more with it.

Also hope there will be more content in the future. They can't just leave this game like this.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Apparently you can't fight Nidhogg, Shadow/Gryffon/Nightmare and the Time Horse in Bloody Palace... I really wanted to fight that horse with Nero/Dante. :negative:

Apparently a lot of combo autists are mad because they fix the inertia bug and removed reversals. And now the game is just ok and not as complex as DMC4 nor a worthy sequel.

https://www.webmshare.com/Ybm7j

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, clunky is definitely not the first word that comes to mind when I think of DMC5 gameplay, but who am I to get between an autist and his hot take.

Suicidal

Arcane
I see he's using the game journalist rating scale where 10 is good 9 is "just okay" and anything below that might as well not exist.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Inertia has a bug from the engine. So it would be very difficult and time consuming to replicate that (and in the end for what, appease 0.1% of the playerbase).
Sure Reversals might've not been removed. But that's just just one mechanic that in no way "severely restricts muh creative expression".
The game then has a vastly superior Nero, enemy design, better bosses and even Dante was somehow upgraded and has much better weapons (and let's not forget the game is completed).
But just because the game doesn't have 2 not very important mechanics, it somehow it's not as refined or good as 4... :M

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
DMCV retroactively makes me feel better for spending most of time on 3 and not 4. Inertia lacked grounding and looked too repetitive. And extremely overused in combo videos.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
why did capcom go through the bother of making co-op for like 2 stages of the game and not have it in bloody palace?

and no playable vergil

and no DLC confirmed.. this is it

just baffling

Ent

Savant
The hacked playable vergil that is implemented in the game is too basic for my tastes - I hope they add some more moves and weapons if they do in fact work on a special edition.

sullynathan

Arcane
Does the hacked vergil even have Judgement Cut End?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom