Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The overlords at Blizzard don’t care about the hardcore diablo players opinions.
argument-invalid-meme-hat-unicorn-robocop-W630.jpg

I can’t comment on D3 except I won’t buy online shit only. And if D4 is ever made it will be the same shit!
IycMNjI.jpg

giphy.gif

And they expect ya to eat all that shit up.
XClZcBF.jpg

$$$$ profits is delicious.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Why did Blizzard announce Diablo mobile at Blizzcon without any major PC\Console title?

My speculation is that the new Diablo game is not Diablo 4 but an offshoot of Diablo with a third or first person viewpoint. I think its so far in early development that its effectively in development hell and that the rumors of it going through multiple directors and builds is probably true. I find it a little harder to believe it would have too much trouble if it were sticking to the isometric hack and slash formula. I'm sure there would be systems being rebuilt but not directors coming and going if they weren't doing something quite a bit different with it.

They can have an isometric Diablo with the mobile game where it is capable of casual play if they do it right. But the fact that they took a cheap route and used D3 assets as well as intend to overtly make it family friendly isn't a good start.

And if they intend to butcher the Diablo IP by making it a kiddy game than introducing young gamers to it won't work well without maintaining that with the PC game. So even though I think it will be a new kind of beast, it still won't be true to its original nature.

That they thought they could headline a Blizzcon with a mobile game is probably due to internal groupthink on Blizzard's part. They may not have been lying when they claimed many of them are now playing mobile more than PC. It doesn't take much, especially if they are of the more progressive type, to think that their in-group's consensus points and tendancies are being adopted, or will be adopted, by everyone else.

Mazisky

Magister
Whatever they are working on must be bigger than Diablo immortal because it's being outsourced, not to mention D3 assets, basically low effort and resources by Blizz. So the core dev team is working on something major.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whatever they are working on must be bigger than Diablo immortal because it's being outsourced, not to mention D3 assets, basically low effort and resources by Blizz. So the core dev team is working on something major.

Certainly. A major way to milk that sweet, sweet normie money.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
footage from upcoming D:I making of documentary

This is not accurate. The game being reskin and all, the gif should be the unicorn peeing rainbow to cones of shit where 10 meters a part some poor Chinese farmer doing the shitting.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
With the trend of enhanced editions or remakes I suppose they might remake all of the franchise to mobile.

Just make the bloody games PC and be offline. I’m getting rather annoyed with copy protection as well. If ya’ll recall the 80s it had some shitastic CP out there.

Pirates are gonna plunder. So just quit with the anal CP that might fuck the game up and make a game that can be played offline and online. I say that for MMORPGS as well. Why the fuck not if you can get a few more sales?

There are online games I’d be perfectly fine playing alone offline. But hell, allow LAN, WAN, Ethernet play for all I care. This mentality of phones... yeah fuck that. I got over gameboy/gamegear fever long ago.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Remember when Diablo 3 was shown first time and people called them out on the faggy cartoony aesthetics and "journalists" called out "entitled gamers"?

Gamergate was a long time coming.

Dexter

Arcane
This really floors me. Phones are getting more and more powerful but I still can’t stand staring at that tiny screen. I hardly ever play the Switch mobile. Mobile gaming is basically if I am stuck waiting in a doctor's office, waiting for someone in a car, etc and even the games are clearly designed for those small 5-15 minute sessions, versus doing a marathon gaming session.

I understand my thoughts on this don’t represent anyone but myself but even most kids I know would rather play a console on the TV; mobile again is sort of last resort. This guy is saying that people who used to play on computer monitors or TVs would *prefer* a tiny screen with touch interface? Just really finding this hard to believe.
It's mostly PR-Spiel, they need "justify" making outsourced cash-grab mobile trash (especially after that reaction they got, and remember they don't make most of the money there with a broad base of casual players paying to buy their game, but a few hundreds or thousands of "whales" they wring dry for tens or even hundreds of thousands of $).

Partly also probably the decline of many "big" companies when they hire and hired to expand and end up going to shit as the original talent-pool dissipates or leaves and they bring a lot of "diverse" people on board. Blizzard North was a few dozen and then hundred of people working together to make a game. Activision Blizzard has like 10000 employees, many of which won't do much of anything productive and will likely be dead weight. It happens to a lot of companies that find and tap into a money source, for instance Riot Games that only made one game (League of Legends) that they don't even regularly Patch with new game modes and stuff, coming up with new champions every few weeks and has ~2500 employees while the core DOTA2 team at Valve was like ~30 people.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
5-Diablo Immortal was intended for Pc but it turned to mobile during development

Blizzard isn't even making this at all. They outsourced development to some Chinese company that has already done Diablo clones for mobile, like Crusaders of Light or Endless of Gods, and Diablo Immortal is basically the same shit as those games:

This is where we are folks, this is the level Blizzard has sunk.

Codex Year of the Donut
I really don't understand how you'd play a left click simulator on mobile honestly. How does that even work?

The only mobile games I can understand are turn based ones.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Never thought I'd live to see this.
Blizzard... Congratulations for shitting all over your fans. Truly thank you for the priceless reactions.

As for Diablo being killed all I have to say is: "Nothing of value was lost."

Pretty much the experience of playing Diablo, how anyone with an iq higher then 85 enjoys such drivel is completely beyond me, so I'll just go on believing anyone who's a had of these types of games are moderately retarded.

I was starting to believe I was the only one to think like this.

People talk about Oblivion and to a lesser degree NWN/Kotor for causing the quality of the industry to decline but Diablo with it's mindless(and it really is the most mindless game of all time) gameplay caused much more damage.

4746.jpg

Diablo is a different genre than those games.

You're the one who called Diablo an ARPG dumbass.

Bethesda was smarter and announced TES Blades alongside TES VI.

But Betheseda are marketing masters. The fact they can sell shit as gold is enough proof.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They’re just selling the name Diablo and some sprinkled contents. Why work when the Chinese can do it for you? Selling out like a lot of companies do for cheaper labor and parts. Yep, way to sellout. And they’re probably giving all your sensitive data to them for FREE as part of the deal.

At 2:46 in that last video I noticed a force wall at the bottom left of the map. God! This is a cho choo trainwreck railriad of cleat each room to open up next room? You walk in and suddenly they appear? Bleh. Fuck why not just make it Aion mobile or Angels online (or is that puke series AA on mobile)?

How many games are like this?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Never thought I'd live to see this.
Blizzard... Congratulations for shitting all over your fans. Truly thank you for the priceless reactions.

As for Diablo being killed all I have to say is: "Nothing of value was lost."

Pretty much the experience of playing Diablo, how anyone with an iq higher then 85 enjoys such drivel is completely beyond me, so I'll just go on believing anyone who's a had of these types of games are moderately retarded.

I was starting to believe I was the only one to think like this.

People talk about Oblivion and to a lesser degree NWN/Kotor for causing the quality of the industry to decline but Diablo with it's mindless(and it really is the most mindless game of all time) gameplay caused much more damage.

4746.jpg

Diablo is a different genre than those games.

You're the one who called Diablo an ARPG dumbass.
Diablo and its clones have always been overrated, not sure why they're liked so much. They're just left click simulators.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I suppose there isn’t a whole lot to them but grinding and figuring out minor puzzles in order. Any game can become just a grind fest in some way or manner. Perhaps adventure point and click or text adventures are excluded (but lots of clicking in graphical text adventures). RTS (clicking), strategy turn-based (grinding and clicking), FPS (fuckload of clicking). Be it mouse or ctrl, or controller button games are grindy clickfests so you can sit or lay down on thy arse.

Want some grinding that’ll give you a work out? Grab a shovel dig a pit then fill it back up? Rinse and repeat. Grab a weed whip and tackle that huge overgrown field. Grab an ax and split and stack wood. Dig a 3-6” deep trench path and fill it up with gravel. Put up a fence; that clamshell post hole digger is calling your name.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem isn't that it's a grindfest, the problem is that it's not a very interesting one. The borderlands series fundamentally aren't that different from a grind perspective but I found them more fun because the combat was more interactive.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They are more like rouge-likes for the Baldur's Gate age.

Last edited:

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Diablo 2 can be beaten on any class without grinding at all, just organically clearing areas to progress further. Normal and Nightmare don't require any grinding, especially if you picked one of the many powerclasses (pretty much every elemental build is ridiculously strong all the way until Hell Act 1). Hell is a true test of skill, patience or ability to find or make items. D2 has many ways to craft and create new equipment for yourself. It's just that most people associate D2 with late-game items that take months to complete and whose market has been pretty much taken over by bots.

All I can say is there's a world of difference between a veteran who understands the limits of his class and can make it work with self-found gear and someone who does thousands of MF runs and twinks out his future characters based on what he finds. Nothing wrong with either playstyle, but nevertheless, Diablo is quite capable of providing different challenges and thrills. The point of D2 is that you always set the "end-game" by yourself. Some people were happy with just beating Baal once, others wanted to see how far they can take a gimmicky build, some others want to earn mad d2jsp money, some just want to have every unique item in the game, some want to PvP, some want to reach the Guardian title (for beating Hell on Hardcore), etc.

Even Ubers can be done with a budget character if you instead rely on skill and prep.

D1 wasn't particularly grindy either if you just wanted to get to the end.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Diablo 2 can be beaten on any class without grinding at all, just organically clearing areas to progress further. Normal and Nightmare don't require any grinding, especially if you picked one of the many powerclasses (pretty much every elemental build is ridiculously strong all the way until Hell Act 1). Hell is a true test of skill, patience or ability to find or make items. D2 has many ways to craft and create new equipment for yourself. It's just that most people associate D2 with late-game items that take months to complete and whose market has been pretty much taken over by bots.

All I can say is there's a world of difference between a veteran who understands the limits of his class and can make it work with self-found gear and someone who does thousands of MF runs and twinks out his future characters based on what he finds. Nothing wrong with either playstyle, but nevertheless, Diablo is quite capable of providing different challenges and thrills. The point of D2 is that you always set the "end-game" by yourself. Some people were happy with just beating Baal once, others wanted to see how far they can take a gimmicky build, some others want to earn mad d2jsp money, some just want to have every unique item in the game, some want to PvP, some want to reach the Guardian title (for beating Hell on Hardcore), etc.

Even Ubers can be done with a budget character if you instead rely on skill and prep.

D1 wasn't particularly grindy either if you just wanted to get to the end.

The entire game is a grind considering it consists of killing thousands of identical enemies.

If you con't consider that a grind you're an autist

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The entire game is a grind considering it consists of killing thousands of identical enemies.
If you con't consider that a grind you're an autist
Grinding has more to do with repeating the same action over and over to obtain something, like items or levels. Grinding, generally, has a specific goal. Yeah, the core of Diablo is killing monsters, but you have to actually think a tiny bit on how to equip and control your character to kill them. "Left-click simulator" doesn't even work as a joke because you have skills on both mouse buttons and each of them can be used to juggle like 1-8 skills pertaning to combat, movement, summons, etc. Engaging a pack of archers with an aura is going to be a different tactical situation from charging into the melee fighters that shoot sparks when hit. You don't have to constantly re-run the same areas or bosses to get anywhere in Diablo is the point I'm making. You can tailor your playstyle to not be grindy. All you need to do to maximize your chances is explore and kill stuff on your way as you pick up objectives.

If killing thousands of identical enemies (dubious claim, given that Diablo games have a pretty colourful menagerie of monsters and, as you progress, the monster mix tossed at you generally changes the dynamics up constantly) equals grind, then pretty much any game that throws trash mobs at you would be grindy in some respect. But nobody calls Baldur's Gate grindy, even if you technically can constantly rest in some area and spawn mobs to kill for bonus XP, and even though Fallout 2 generally will fix all your money problems, ever, if you spend like 20 minutes walking around New Reno (on the world map) looking for bandits to kill and rob, the game never encourages you to seek out these encounters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom