Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pokémon Go both fits the concept of mobile (walking around with your phone) and one of the major concepts Pokémon (catching Pokémon.)

Why would they think that anything in Diablo would fit that? Why are they comparing a game where you walk around and catch things as they appear with anything done in Diablo? Weird ass justification. Wow a casual game where you walk outside and lazily catch critters vs a game where you have to consistently be doing actions and focusing your attention on

Is their idea that "wow Pokémon Go is really popular must be because of MOBILE!" and ignoring the fact that Pokémon is popular not only across different demographics but one of the largest media properties on Earth?

shit.. an Overwatch GACHA game would have made more sense.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I get the feeling that a lot of them have spent the majority of the past decade slacking off at work playing mobile games at their desk. These kinds of people and their instincts seep in constantly when you have the "it's done when it's done" mantra and don't have someone running around enforcing hard deadlines with a guillotine on standby for those who aren't getting shit done. It's not just for games, every office has this problem nowadays where a manager has to pop in on a weekly basis to "catch" people doing shit on their phones and chew them out.

Great point, similar to Fargo pushing "Hearthstone" combat as a concept in BT4, all of these aging game devs have given up on life and spend all their free time playing degenerate mobile games. They have probably convinced themselves its a legitimate platform for gaming.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:dealwithit:
I was looking forward to posting the wendy's twat....it really hurt me to see it posted.

EDIT:Also this is pretty interesting video.

abija

Prophet
idk, 3rd person diablo seems like a natural evolution from D3 on consoles (and the only thing in common it probably had with DS)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I call bullshit on the 3th person Diablo game. Prob some mock up ideas for new game using existing assets.
Games like diablo are already obsolete,3rd person seems natural way of evolution. The last diablo game i played was diablo 2 and it was decline compared to diablo. The only half decent dibalo clone is torchlight 2,still didin't managed to finish it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure Diablo-souls got nixed when they realized they could not glut it with microtransactions. Still, it's an interesting concept that would have worked well in the Diablo Universe.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't understand how diablo-like games even work on a touchscreen. Is it even the same gameplay?

If you try any generic action RPG on mobile, its pretty much beat-em-up more than traditional ARPG. The ammount of ability you could is probably the same as Diablo 3 (more :lol: for Diablo 3 honestly), but less focus on constant movement and evading things. Pace of the game will be somewhat slower as well to compensate touch control in phone.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't understand how diablo-like games even work on a touchscreen. Is it even the same gameplay?

If you try any generic action RPG on mobile, its pretty much beat-em-up more than traditional ARPG. The ammount of ability you could use is probably the same as Diablo 3 (more :lol: for Diablo 3 honestly), but less focus on constant movement and evading things. Pace of the game will be somewhat slower as well to compensate touch control in phone.

That is not very good point. In PoE you use even less active skills. What sucks in these mobile games is everything else surrounding the gameplay- skills and builds are one-dimensional and devoid of choice or branching, items are boring, flat and predetermined increases in simple stats and so forth

GrainWetski

Arcane
If you try any generic action RPG on mobile, its pretty much beat-em-up more than traditional ARPG. The ammount of ability you could is probably the same as Diablo 3 (more :lol: for Diablo 3 honestly), but less focus on constant movement and evading things. Pace of the game will be somewhat slower as well to compensate touch control in phone.
It's basically the console(gamepad) versions of these games with slightly worse controls.

abija

Prophet
On consoles the mouse precision is replaced with lots of auto targeting, so you mostly just care about moving and what skills to use. On phones the movement part goes the way of targeting, so you just give general directions and focus on pressing skills. If it keeps current mobile trends most skills will be cool and have long animations so you don't feel the apm requirement is single digit.

Console version already isn't the same gameplay.

It's basically the console(gamepad) versions of these games with slightly worse controls.
Doubt it. Console version wasn't diablo gameplay but it wasn't a bad experience as an almost 3rd person popamole. These phone games are 2-3min bits of 90% automated play followed by 2 mins of clicking screens...

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Or ignore D3 existed.... pc, switch or otherwise.

Maybe D4 will be more like this

Since Blizzard likes fucking with people.

Funny thing while I was trying to find a diablo fighting video. I had forgotten about primal rage. Blizzard.... Diablo....

Pokémon Go both fits the concept of mobile (walking around with your phone) and one of the major concepts Pokémon (catching Pokémon.)

Why would they think that anything in Diablo would fit that? Why are they comparing a game where you walk around and catch things as they appear with anything done in Diablo? Weird ass justification. Wow a casual game where you walk outside and lazily catch critters vs a game where you have to consistently be doing actions and focusing your attention on

Is their idea that "wow Pokémon Go is really popular must be because of MOBILE!" and ignoring the fact that Pokémon is popular not only across different demographics but one of the largest media properties on Earth?

shit.. an Overwatch GACHA game would have made more sense.

Diablo should fit perfectly on mobile. You click around to move and attack with the mouse on PC to do stuff in Diablo, that should translate to a touchscreen pretty naturally. I've been kind of surprised for years now there hasn't been a iOS Diablo yet, something that controls like Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on the DS. Seems pretty simple, do movement and attacks by tapping around, have skills or inventory items on the right or left side of the screen so you can easily select them with your thumb. But instead of having you tap around the screen to do stuff they've got a virtual joystick, and virtual joysticks suck.

The series should especially fit perfectly if it went back to something more like the original game, cutting the fat of later games and just having one hub area with you going farther and farther into a dungeon.

I'm sure Diablo-souls got nixed when they realized they could not glut it with microtransactions. Still, it's an interesting concept that would have worked well in the Diablo Universe.

If the article is true it may have been cancelled because Activision ended up getting FromSoftware to make a game for them, which is what Blizzard should have done from the start. If they'd of went to FromSoftware themselves in 2014 they'd probably already have the game out.

Although third person Diablo I'd imagine would come out more like Dragon's Dogma than Dark Souls.

abija

Prophet
Diablo should fit perfectly on mobile. You click around to move and attack with the mouse on PC to do stuff in Diablo, that should translate to a touchscreen pretty naturally.
Yeah, no. You also need to hold the phone so instead of "mouse" it ends up being a shitty gamepad to the bottom corners. Even if they manage to do a touch based control, go ahead and check sky force on mobile and pc, the difference in precision between touch and mouse is immense and I doubt they'll be designing for note users.

Diablo should fit perfectly on mobile. You click around to move and attack with the mouse on PC to do stuff in Diablo, that should translate to a touchscreen pretty naturally.
Yeah, no. You also need to hold the phone so instead of "mouse" it ends up being a shitty gamepad to the bottom corners. Even if they manage to do a touch based control, go ahead and check sky force on mobile and pc, the difference in precision between touch and mouse is immense and I doubt they'll be designing for note users.

Yeah, I know it's using a virtual joystick, I even said it did in the quote you quoted. What's your point? That it's shit? Yeah, I agree, it's a stupid way to go since virtual joysticks suck...which is what I said. But that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Diablo, which has very simple controls, could and should work perfectly on a touch screen.

Here, this is a game that's completely touch control based (besides a block, which Diablo doesn't have anyways) and it has far more complex movement and actions than Diablo games do.

Here's people playing Diablo games on touchscreens:

Unlike say, a fighting game, Diablo as a series as it has traditionally played should work just fine on mobile. That they're going about it in some weird fucking way with a virtual joystick doesn't change that, it just means they're doing it wrong. Despite this being a stupid fucking announcement as their big grand announcement for the show and the series, that doesn't mean that Diablo shouldn't be able to work on phones and tablets. Although like I said, I think the way they're going about it is dumb. I just don't think there's anything inherent to the series that means it shouldn't work on a phone.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Not sure how you're supposed to actually use skills with touch controls. In the last video he even uses a keyboard so no point in using touch controls and in the second one he's just running around doing basic attacks.

Guess you need to hold your finger on the screen to aim and then have buttons to click with your other hand/fingers to use abilities? The problem is that you move by touching the screen, so you'll be running towards every enemy you aim at. That's not ideal to say the least.

Basically, I don't see how it would be playable unless you make a very, very basic game or make it play like the retarded gamepad version of the genre.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
At least it isn’t crappy combat like this:
immortal-04.png

I wonder if the special skills function exactly like various online games with a usage then timer. It’s just a matter of touching the skill “button” for that skill. I suppose there will be a tactics setting like say dungeon siege:
Rush & attack closset
Attack targeted
Stand back and use skill on target
Stand back and use skill on closest
Flee
Pick up loot only
Attack only if attacked
Etc.

The phone has to do most the heavy lifting so you can just tap it here and there. Otherwise have a bruised bloody finger stump.

Not sure how you're supposed to actually use skills with touch controls. In the last video he even uses a keyboard so no point in using touch controls and in the second one he's just running around doing basic attacks.

Guess you need to hold your finger on the screen to aim and then have buttons to click with your other hand/fingers to use abilities? The problem is that you move by touching the screen, so you'll be running towards every enemy you aim at. That's not ideal to say the least.

Basically, I don't see how it would be playable unless you make a very, very basic game or make it play like the retarded gamepad version of the genre.

You select the skill and aim out of it with the same finger.

You tap the icon of the skill and aim by dragging it out of that. You see how characters have that Lost Ark radius around them sometimes? While you're aiming in the corner from the icon there's a corresponding arrow coming out of the character within that radius showing where your attack will hit. You can see it in this video:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
GAAAG!!! Being on a phone is a fail. Online only is a fail!

AsanteRevell 5 years ago#2
you can't have mods in this crap game
Parachutes are for Girls.

RSmit 5 years ago#3
Using third-party software is basically an insta-ban on Bnet.

So no, there aren't any good mods for D3.

Is that true to this day? No modding... fail.

It’ll be a fucking fail no matter what they do. I hate to see the future enforcing being online in some form to access the game. If all companies go that way... well fuck em. I have more than enough to last until I’m cold in the ground.

But no modding? They afraid some dude in his basement alone might fix the games and make all the people working for blizzard or this Chinese Cheap Chink sellouts look like monkey chumps just tossing shit around when not howling for Pokémon?

Some modders do fantastic work.

Just fucking meh to the bleh. Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum dis diablo immortal is fucking dumb!

• Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (6.4 inches) ...
  • Google Pixel 3 XL (6.3 inches) ...
  • iPhone XS Max (6.5 inches) ...
  • OnePlus 6T (6.4 inches) ...
  • iPhone XR (6.1 inches) ...
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+ (6.2 inches) ...
compared to any monitor (we won’t even mention the sweet monitors out there as a fucking clunky crt beats those sizes).

abija

Prophet
No need to go that much back, plenty of d3 shit to link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwppnqKpSa0). "Should fit perfectly on mobile" my ass ...
Device makers would love his input method though. Amount of dropped phones would go through the roof.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom