Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who bought it on release remember a time when good gear was rare

Good gear was rare is an understatement, good luck fully decking out a character in the best gear on your own. Natural drop rates were so low you p much had to cheat, beg, or become a Jeff Bezos tier merchant to get it.

One thing that puts diablo 3 well ahead of D2 is that you don't have to dedicate your life to the game to get top tier gear while still leaving plenty of room for autists to grind for hundreds of hours to get the top quality of any particular item.

This is so fucking wrong there is a crater of wrong they have been digging for centuries and they still can't find your arse buried beneath

I remember playing D2 in the early days, and finding the first Stone of Jordan - it was memorable, it felt fantastic, and it happened as a process of, as Thal described, organic play where you were always hunting for great gear but you were also actually playing the game and enjoying your character.

Soon, SOJs were a basic unit for bartering great gear. That was still fine; finding SOJs and other uniques made you think about how you might use them for your future characters or how you might trade it to fill those very real gaps in your current gear. Getting my first Windforce took a series of exchanges and that was a cool part of the game as well, trading with real people your salvages. (Then like a moron I traded it for something shit, all part of the process.)

Fast forward a while, and SOJs were devalued like a Zimbabwean currency, and over time you start to get more hacking, more RMTs, more gold farmers, more macro bots, more overinflated rare drops, etc, etc.

I tried Diablo 3 a bit at release, and then very recently. D3 never had the truly satisfying moments of finding great gear, but over the years it's like they turned up the fucking loot algo up to the moon. Now, don't worry about MFs, or bosses, or anything - just run around pew pewing at random shit, and you'll get rares every 30 seconds and uniques every 5 minutes without hyperbole. Actually reading the gear description of all the shit you find is inefficient - you get better deal for your time if you instantly sell everything except ones with bigger numbers. Sold a good item by mistake? You'll get 20 more drops while you shit!

lol SOJs which d2 phase did you play during daddy-o? were you even around for LoD? SOJs are nothing, top gear = runewords and finding even one high rune on your own was highly improbable. A legit player would have to farm for dozens of hours just to maybe get some shit they can trade for one.

The difference between D3 and D2 is that you don't have to spend weeks grinding just to get one good item, after hitting max level you can deck out a character in a day or two (faster if you play with other people, which I don't). I guess that's a bad thing if you're looking to turn a game into a full time job but it suits people like me who don't want to dedicate their life to a grind simulator just fine.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The thing is you never actually needed top level gear to beat Diablo 2. Being rare as hell was fine because only autists cared about having all their best in slots. Making all those items attainable without a grind just cheapens the experience of finding them and encourages 12 year old faggots who think they're hardcore because they've been playing for a whole week.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Best part of D2 was that to finish the game you actually had to put in some effort. Diablo 3 and new Path of Exile turned normal content into a joke where you can use one hand and watch a show on your other screen (I do that while leveling character through 10 Acts of PoE )... I welcome playing D2 again where you could actually die in places if you fucked up.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
lol SOJs which d2 phase did you play during daddy-o? were you even around for LoD? SOJs are nothing, top gear = runewords and finding even one high rune on your own was highly improbable. A legit player would have to farm for dozens of hours just to maybe get some shit they can trade for one.

The elite don't care about SoJs or runewords. Those are for newbies.

The elite LLD. Which means charms, jewels and ethereal self-repairing items with max sockets for jewels (not runes).

It's how 9th level assassins pwn high level parties.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

The elite don't care about SoJs or runewords. Those are for newbies.

The elite LLD. Which means charms, jewels and ethereal self-repairing items with max sockets for jewels (not runes).

It's how 9th level assassins pwn high level parties.

LLDs are also for grinder monkeys, the only worthwhile dueling (after Enigma stopped my shit geared zon from beating decked out losers) is LLD where you level together to target level and then fight with the gear you found (i never lost one of these).

Tigranes

Arcane
"Hey, the economy in the early days was pretty cool in the very early days when SOJs had tradeable value, of course they quickly became utterly worthless-"

"LOL SOJS DID U EVEN PLAY LOD LOL NOOB"

yes your penis is really big just like mommy told you, don't believe those charts on wikipedia

Anyway, another thing is, even when you were doing loot runs - especially the Meph/Diablo runs, as opposed to cow level or whatever that Act 5 trenches area was called - there was still a sense of everybody getting ready and going in for a proper boss fight, especially if you were still a bit underlevelled (or just dressed in MF rags, I guess). With D3 the boss fights are so boring and the drops so meaningless, you don't even get that. I hear the expansion pack added lots of good stuff, but I quit long before that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
"Hey, the economy in the early days was pretty cool in the very early days when SOJs had tradeable value, of course they quickly became utterly worthless-"

"LOL SOJS DID U EVEN PLAY LOD LOL NOOB"

yes your penis is really big just like mommy told you, don't believe those charts on wikipedia

One swing of my dick and your entire city gets leveled, cuck.

Anyway, another thing is, even when you were doing loot runs - especially the Meph/Diablo runs, as opposed to cow level or whatever that Act 5 trenches area was called - there was still a sense of everybody getting ready and going in for a proper boss fight, especially if you were still a bit underlevelled (or just dressed in MF rags, I guess). With D3 the boss fights are so boring and the drops so meaningless, you don't even get that. I hear the expansion pack added lots of good stuff, but I quit long before that.

Then why the fuck are you talking about Diablo 3 given that nobody can play whatever fantasy version you have in your mind anymore.

lmao @ dis nigga, played a little D2 and a little D3, both before they even evolved into their final form and he thinks he's a thoughtful and informed critic. :lol:

codex.txt

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Anyway, another thing is, even when you were doing loot runs - especially the Meph/Diablo runs, as opposed to cow level or whatever that Act 5 trenches area was called - there was still a sense of everybody getting ready and going in for a proper boss fight, especially if you were still a bit underlevelled (or just dressed in MF rags, I guess).

Shut the fuck up, you clueless newbie.

I find Titan Quest to be a worthy successor to D2. A far better successor than D3, at any rate.

TQ + Immortal Throne was a great game. Can't say the same for the dev's next game, Grim Dawn. I still like Diablo II best of all though.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
D2 turned to shit with LoD, fite me cunts

Market was already fucked from SoJ dupes and dual leech ring dupes by 1.06, then they introduced retardo runewords and charms because hunting gear was _too hard_, babby's needed their exceptional uniques and runeword items instead of using their brain to work out if that rare is an upgrade. Gimme them cookie cutter shopping lists! Dont be a lazy cunt, go repeatedly kill mephisto and dogboy for a chance at a yellow that might be an upgrade. Shitberg lazy fucks.

Tigranes

Arcane
D2 turned to shit with LoD, fite me cunts

Market was already fucked from SoJ dupes and dual leech ring dupes by 1.06, then they introduced retardo runewords and charms because hunting gear was _too hard_, babby's needed their exceptional uniques and runeword items instead of using their brain to work out if that rare is an upgrade. Gimme them cookie cutter shopping lists! Dont be a lazy cunt, go repeatedly kill mephisto and dogboy for a chance at a yellow that might be an upgrade. Shitberg lazy fucks.

LoD content itself was welcome at the time - but the market was always going to go to hell, even if they didn't participate in the inflation with runes/charms. Once duplication become rife the jig was up. The 'early days' Thal originally mentioned were really early days, really, when most people were still on their first few runs through the game. Obviously it became a completely different beast over time.

lmao @ dis nigga, played a little D2 and a little D3, both before they even evolved into their final form and he thinks he's a thoughtful and informed critic. :lol:

codex.txt

I enjoyed high level chars, PVP, MF runs, etc. - I don't even think the super-early days when people were finding their first SOJs was some kind of golden time. D2 retained a fantastic game loop for several years, and I even went back and played a bit a few years ago and found it solid. I can't say for D3 - I played it at release, thought it was kind of shit and never really went back, though I hear it's become a whole new thing with xpack and other changes.

I'm not sure why you think the Codex is a place where people try to brag about how good they are at a Diablo game of all things. And really, if that's the aim, why the fuck would anyone bring up sojs?

Cael

Arcane
I read about the crying by people here about PvP in Diablo and am reminded of the crying by CS players. They want to ban the big sniper rifle because they were getting killed by single aimed shots while they were jumping around like demented, spastic monkeys hypered up on a cocktail of crystal meth, LSD and speed, spraying bullets everywhere. Sure, it is someone "being boring" or "cheating the system" or something of that neture. Suuuuuure...!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
am reminded of the crying by CS players. They want to ban the big sniper rifle because they were getting killed by single aimed shots while they were jumping around like demented, spastic monkeys hypered up on a cocktail of crystal meth, LSD and speed, spraying bullets everywhere.
Snipers and campers in all games should be banned. Not because of how easy it is for them to kill players without being at risk themselves.
It is because
2ldes3.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Trust Cael to always talk about something else.
Aww. Poor little diddums still butthurt after that reaming. How cute. Perhaps of you were a little bit more intelligent, you'll understand where the thrust of the conversation was heading without someone having to explain it to you in minute detail.

Cael

Arcane
am reminded of the crying by CS players. They want to ban the big sniper rifle because they were getting killed by single aimed shots while they were jumping around like demented, spastic monkeys hypered up on a cocktail of crystal meth, LSD and speed, spraying bullets everywhere.
Snipers and campers in all games should be banned. Not because of how easy it is for them to kill players without being at risk themselves.
It is because
2ldes3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Never a good idea.

Cael

Arcane
Can't say the same for the dev's next game, Grim Dawn.

What is the consensus on Grim Dawn? Its shit?

Its funny how hard it seems to be for devs to make a proper diablo clone after all these years.
I don't know. A clone would be very reliant on the story to keep player interested, and good writers in the game industry are rarer than hen's teeth these days.

You'd want a similar game, but different enough to generate interest, which TQ+IT did for a time. It is too bad Ragnarok was such a non-event. I would have loved to see how they evolved the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't say the same for the dev's next game, Grim Dawn.

What is the consensus on Grim Dawn? Its shit?
Seems a love it or hate it thing.

I find it boring as fuck, tried multiple times to get into the game, always bores me to death after a few hours with its never-changing environments (of farm fields of all things...), "meh" skill trees and the combat just lacks oomph. If you ask me, just play Path Of Exile instead.
Others love it, though, for some strange reason.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I just like playing Diablo 2 with as little grinding as possible on /players 8, in Hell I might lower the players setting depending on how I'm doing. I did some MFing on one b.net ladder, but I never had luck with unique Mephisto hell drops whereas decent uniques kept dropping from stuff like Nightmare A5 (my first Mal) or some random dungeon I did just for fun (first SoJ dropped for me from Dark Elder in Ancient Tunnels). I participated quite a bit in the very niche Diablo 1 PvP, but never ended up getting enough gear to do the same in D2.

About the only thing I'd wish would be acknowledged in retrospective is that D2LoD remains perfectly playable as a regular hack'n'slash game. You can beat Hell with any class if your build is good or if you're patient with either farming lower-level areas or taking a while to clear the areas. It was nice because it was multiple facets of player skill and dedication - you could make a cookie-cutter Sorceress or Javazon and speedrun through acts without issue, maintaining decent killspeed in Hell, or you could use all sorts of nifty tricks to let builds with less base damage (pretty much any physical character) shine. Or you could just grind if you wanted to.

I kinda dislike it when people are like "game becomes borderline unplayable in Hell, forces you to grind". It really doesn't if you exhibit any of the traits I outlined above. And Hell being an actual test of mettle is just nice. You're not obliged to 3-dot every single character you start, just as you aren't obliged to enter the extreme late-game in any game of this sort. If you lose interest in a character in Hell or even Nightmare (though I find Nightmare easier than Normal for most builds due to late-tree abilities' insane scaling), parking them wherever is a perfectly fine choice.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The only 'difficulty' in Hell comes down to overcoming the resistance penalty. But generally you can beat the game with a plethora of builds/gearing, though your time to kill may suffer as a result which is how people gauge your worth.

There's also Uber Tristram which I've only really done as a Smite Paladin which many consider to be a PvM beast anyways so I can't speak too much on that. But there's very little "holy fuck, I'm going to get raped" moments in D2 compared to D1. Playing a straight Warrior and walking into a room full of succubi or acid dogs, yeah, fuck off Brevik.

Funnily enough, the hardest challenge in D2 is Normal Duriel.

Regardless, like Lilura noted, a lot of D2's fun comes down to the PVP and how bonkers you could make your character and ruin someone's day. Just kill someone and type "ez pk" and watch someone's mind explode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom