Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Makabb, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    There is truth to this here. SOJs on closed Battle.net were pretty much "gold" when it came to the community based economy. You had your lesser currency like gems and runes (at least until they went full retard with runewords in one of the patches) and so forth. I think it was something like 40 chipped gems of a specific type were worth an SOJ since you could convert them into perfect gems.

But yeah, the Diablo 2 trading community way back then was lightning in a bottle. You could find what you were looking for but what you really wanted was to find the right person that was selling since a lot of people didn't know the real value of their items. Compare that to something like Path of Exile where it feels like every person is a fucking shekel goblin that won't budge on their offer because the text of the item is orange or it has six links.

When SOJs began to get mass duplicated it fucked up everything, though. That's when they had to add in some goofy shit like the Diablo Clone which could only spawn by selling all those hacked items into vendors to try and purge them from the economy. I also think when they added in those godly runewords it fucked up a lot of the fun of building a character since they were such an insane leap in power.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind

lol SOJs which d2 phase did you play during daddy-o? were you even around for LoD? SOJs are nothing, top gear = runewords and finding even one high rune on your own was highly improbable. A legit player would have to farm for dozens of hours just to maybe get some shit they can trade for one.

The difference between D3 and D2 is that you don't have to spend weeks grinding just to get one good item, after hitting max level you can deck out a character in a day or two (faster if you play with other people, which I don't). I guess that's a bad thing if you're looking to turn a game into a full time job but it suits people like me who don't want to dedicate their life to a grind simulator just fine.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Butter Savant

Butter
    The thing is you never actually needed top level gear to beat Diablo 2. Being rare as hell was fine because only autists cared about having all their best in slots. Making all those items attainable without a grind just cheapens the experience of finding them and encourages 12 year old faggots who think they're hardcore because they've been playing for a whole week.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Best part of D2 was that to finish the game you actually had to put in some effort. Diablo 3 and new Path of Exile turned normal content into a joke where you can use one hand and watch a show on your other screen (I do that while leveling character through 10 Acts of PoE )... I welcome playing D2 again where you could actually die in places if you fucked up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    The elite don't care about SoJs or runewords. Those are for newbies.

The elite LLD. Which means charms, jewels and ethereal self-repairing items with max sockets for jewels (not runes).

It's how 9th level assassins pwn high level parties.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    LLDs are also for grinder monkeys, the only worthwhile dueling (after Enigma stopped my shit geared zon from beating decked out losers) is LLD where you level together to target level and then fight with the gear you found (i never lost one of these).

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    "Hey, the economy in the early days was pretty cool in the very early days when SOJs had tradeable value, of course they quickly became utterly worthless-"

"LOL SOJS DID U EVEN PLAY LOD LOL NOOB"

yes your penis is really big just like mommy told you, don't believe those charts on wikipedia

Anyway, another thing is, even when you were doing loot runs - especially the Meph/Diablo runs, as opposed to cow level or whatever that Act 5 trenches area was called - there was still a sense of everybody getting ready and going in for a proper boss fight, especially if you were still a bit underlevelled (or just dressed in MF rags, I guess). With D3 the boss fights are so boring and the drops so meaningless, you don't even get that. I hear the expansion pack added lots of good stuff, but I quit long before that.

• Funny x 7
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    One swing of my dick and your entire city gets leveled, cuck.

Then why the fuck are you talking about Diablo 3 given that nobody can play whatever fantasy version you have in your mind anymore.

lmao @ dis nigga, played a little D2 and a little D3, both before they even evolved into their final form and he thinks he's a thoughtful and informed critic. :lol:

codex.txt

^ Top  
  9. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Shut the fuck up, you clueless newbie.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. United Nations Legion

United Nations
    TQ + Immortal Throne was a great game. Can't say the same for the dev's next game, Grim Dawn. I still like Diablo II best of all though.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    D2 turned to shit with LoD, fite me cunts

Market was already fucked from SoJ dupes and dual leech ring dupes by 1.06, then they introduced retardo runewords and charms because hunting gear was _too hard_, babby's needed their exceptional uniques and runeword items instead of using their brain to work out if that rare is an upgrade. Gimme them cookie cutter shopping lists! Dont be a lazy cunt, go repeatedly kill mephisto and dogboy for a chance at a yellow that might be an upgrade. Shitberg lazy fucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. hexer Arcane

hexer
    I'll play it if Grinding Gear Games does the remake!

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    LoD content itself was welcome at the time - but the market was always going to go to hell, even if they didn't participate in the inflation with runes/charms. Once duplication become rife the jig was up. The 'early days' Thal originally mentioned were really early days, really, when most people were still on their first few runs through the game. Obviously it became a completely different beast over time.

I enjoyed high level chars, PVP, MF runs, etc. - I don't even think the super-early days when people were finding their first SOJs was some kind of golden time. D2 retained a fantastic game loop for several years, and I even went back and played a bit a few years ago and found it solid. I can't say for D3 - I played it at release, thought it was kind of shit and never really went back, though I hear it's become a whole new thing with xpack and other changes.

I'm not sure why you think the Codex is a place where people try to brag about how good they are at a Diablo game of all things. And really, if that's the aim, why the fuck would anyone bring up sojs?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I read about the crying by people here about PvP in Diablo and am reminded of the crying by CS players. They want to ban the big sniper rifle because they were getting killed by single aimed shots while they were jumping around like demented, spastic monkeys hypered up on a cocktail of crystal meth, LSD and speed, spraying bullets everywhere. Sure, it is someone "being boring" or "cheating the system" or something of that neture. Suuuuuure...!

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Trust Cael to always talk about something else.

• Funny x 5
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Snipers and campers in all games should be banned. Not because of how easy it is for them to kill players without being at risk themselves.
    It is because
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Aww. Poor little diddums still butthurt after that reaming. How cute. Perhaps of you were a little bit more intelligent, you'll understand where the thrust of the conversation was heading without someone having to explain it to you in minute detail.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    [​IMG]

Never a good idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Agame Liturgist Patron

Agame
    What is the consensus on Grim Dawn? Its shit?

Its funny how hard it seems to be for devs to make a proper diablo clone after all these years.

^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    I don't know. A clone would be very reliant on the story to keep player interested, and good writers in the game industry are rarer than hen's teeth these days.

You'd want a similar game, but different enough to generate interest, which TQ+IT did for a time. It is too bad Ragnarok was such a non-event. I would have loved to see how they evolved the game.

^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Seems a love it or hate it thing.

I find it boring as fuck, tried multiple times to get into the game, always bores me to death after a few hours with its never-changing environments (of farm fields of all things...), "meh" skill trees and the combat just lacks oomph. If you ask me, just play Path Of Exile instead.
    Others love it, though, for some strange reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Grim Dawn is good but not as good as Diablo 2.

^ Top  
  23. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Ditto. Grim Dawn gripped me for a single 8-hour non-stop session but then I suddenly quit and never returned again.

^ Top  
  24. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    [​IMG]

That's Grim Dawn.

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    I just like playing Diablo 2 with as little grinding as possible on /players 8, in Hell I might lower the players setting depending on how I'm doing. I did some MFing on one b.net ladder, but I never had luck with unique Mephisto hell drops whereas decent uniques kept dropping from stuff like Nightmare A5 (my first Mal) or some random dungeon I did just for fun (first SoJ dropped for me from Dark Elder in Ancient Tunnels). I participated quite a bit in the very niche Diablo 1 PvP, but never ended up getting enough gear to do the same in D2.

About the only thing I'd wish would be acknowledged in retrospective is that D2LoD remains perfectly playable as a regular hack'n'slash game. You can beat Hell with any class if your build is good or if you're patient with either farming lower-level areas or taking a while to clear the areas. It was nice because it was multiple facets of player skill and dedication - you could make a cookie-cutter Sorceress or Javazon and speedrun through acts without issue, maintaining decent killspeed in Hell, or you could use all sorts of nifty tricks to let builds with less base damage (pretty much any physical character) shine. Or you could just grind if you wanted to.

I kinda dislike it when people are like "game becomes borderline unplayable in Hell, forces you to grind". It really doesn't if you exhibit any of the traits I outlined above. And Hell being an actual test of mettle is just nice. You're not obliged to 3-dot every single character you start, just as you aren't obliged to enter the extreme late-game in any game of this sort. If you lose interest in a character in Hell or even Nightmare (though I find Nightmare easier than Normal for most builds due to late-tree abilities' insane scaling), parking them wherever is a perfectly fine choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)