Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Viata

Arcane
Enjoy your always online mode boss:
ixjqvtn.png

Yosharian

Arcane
Lol it's just a cinematic trailer? No actual gameplay? What the fuck is Blizzard doing, lmao

Oh never mind I see the gameplay videos now

Sentinel

Arcane
Path of Exile has no offline mode.

Nobody complains, despite the fucking awful network.
PoE is a free game.
As everyone knows, it's not gay to take dick up the ass if you don't pay for it.

Some details from interviews on stream:
  • Hardcore mode will be there.
  • 5 classes confirmed for launch, and more will be introduced through expansions. Cosmetics, stash, etc, can come in the form of microtransactions.
  • Want to make crafting a bigger thing in D4. Still a work in progress. Two goals for crafting - 1) Want to make sure gathering is fully integrated into the open world. 2) If you go and collect recipes and materials and spend time to craft something that it is worth your while.
  • Max level is currently 40. Could change.
  • There is no shoulder slot in the game. It's a visual change, and if they need more item slots for mechanical reasons, they can do that separately.
  • Trying out different types of legendaries that enable support builds.
  • Goal for seasons is to change up items as much as possible. Want new challenges in dungeons, new monster affixes, and want the season to feel like a new experience with new things to explore.
  • No diminishing returns on CCs. Certain skills make you unstoppable so you can break out of that CC. Can customize character to be more resistant against CCs.
  • Achievements are planned.
  • Charms are NOT currently in the works.
  • Talent trees will be expanded upon in expansions, but to what degree, they don't know yet.
  • Trying to be more "strict" with gold for players. Can spend gold to gamble like with Kadala.
  • On Paragon levels - They have a philosophy of wanting you to be able to log in for 15, 30, or 60 minutes (or however long) and get something accomplished, but as far as specific implementation of paragon levels, it's undecided.
  • There are hundreds of dungeons in the world
  • On end game - They want there to be a variety of activities. World bosses are one example. Key dungeons are another. Key dungeons are inspired by greater rifts and will be another end game activity. Different system than greater rifts. Key dungeons don't scale infinitely, but scale to an extent that there is no concern about reaching the max.
  • At max level, you get keys, and those keys will be for a specific dungeon. The key when used transforms the dungeon into a max level dungeon and has a rank on it, and that rank increases the difficulty of the dungeon. The key has affixes on it, the affixes add mechanics to the dungeon, boss fights, etc.
  • One of the affixes is a lightning pulse obelisk, it follows you through dungeon. You can’t kill it and it releases lightning, so you have to keep moving. It’s an object that chases you through the dungeon and adds challenge to the experience. Affixes change the way a dungeon plays.
  • Legendary items further allow you to modify skills to customize play style. Allow you to further your skills/talents more than you would through the trees/skills alone. Hundreds of legendary items being designed. More about modding existing talents and skills than adding flat damage.
  • There are gear sets. Sets gives the ability to live out a fantasy. Legendaries are as or more powerful than sets. Sets are a stepping stone to more powerful legendaries.
  • They are looking at bringing transmog into the game.
  • No auction house.
  • Haven't settled on a specific trading system yet. They want you to mainly get items from killing monsters. Exploring possible systems to introduce trading, learning towards 3 categories of items – 1) consumables, mats, random armor, etc. 2) items that can be traded once and then become soulbound. 3) And then some items that are bound on pickup. Those 3 categories for items, but they are taking feedback on this.
  • Crafting – Definitely going to be taking crafting forward into Diablo IV and they want to expand on it from Diablo III. End game will be about item modification. Crafting will incorporate the world – going out and getting things – slaying monsters, finding something rare in the world, etc. Won’t be anything as in depth as PoE however.
  • Seasons – They want to modify the most powerful items from season to season so the metagame shifts, along with adding in new items.
  • Content release will most likely occur through expansions.
  • On talent trees – taking feedback on this. Talent trees in the demo are as they currently stand in the game. Quinn noted they look simple and shallow. They want legendary items to add a lot of that depth to the talents. All of it is still being developed.
  • On monetitization – D4 will be available as a base game. There will be expansions. Cosmetics will be available in some form as microtransactions.
  • You can modify keybinds.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.diablofans.com/news/49145-diablo-community-group-q-a
Diablo 4 Community Q&A with Lead Game Designer Joe Shely & Senior Producer Tiffany Wat

While Blizzard has made it clear that the game is very, very early in development, Joe and Tiffany were very open with their answers and were excited to share as much as they could about Diablo IV.

Story and Game Modes
  • Hell is going to be an important part of the game and it will underlay all of Sanctuary, but the specifics of how we travel to Hell and Hell’s mechanics are still very early in development.
  • Duriel is back! That was in fact Duriel in the gameplay footage. But what does that mean for the other Lesser and Prime Evils? We were told to watch the Lore & World panel tomorrow.
  • With regards to zones having specific levels or how difficulty is handled: Scaling is an important feature to the team to allow exploration and players of varying levels to play with one another. The world zones will scale to the level of the party leader. But while scaling is important to have monsters increase in power with you, feeling the power level increase of getting awesome new items is equally important. The team is very aware of the fine balance between difficulty scaling and the player reward from finding new items.
  • There will be a Hardcode mode
  • Diablo 3 had a very wide playerbase and for many of those players this was their first Diablo game and for them, Diablo 3 is what it means to be a Diablo game. For many players Diablo 2 is what a Diablo game means. The devs are aware of all these different opinions on the game and hope to offer playstyles and content that will be fulfilling for everyone. There will be varied content for casual players and difficult content for those looking for challenges. Any player should be able to log on for any amount of time and feel as if they accomplished something or progressed in some way.
  • How leveling ties into the game and how important max level is is still being worked on, but you’ll likely see the whole world well before max level.
  • Crossplay between consoles is something the team is aware of and they’re currently exploring options, but can’t give any answers at this time.
  • They will offer controller support for PC, but currently have no plans for keyboard support on console.
  • 2 player local co-op will be supported on console.
  • Diablo IV is being designed as a massive immersive world with partying and group in mind, so there are no plans for an offline only mode, but there will be options for those who only want to play solo or only play with friends.
Trading and Crafting
  • The developers are still early in developing trading systems, but the current philosophy is that crafting mats and consumables will always be tradeable. Powerful items will likely be bound on trade, meaning that can be traded, but only once. The most powerful items however will not be tradeable and likely stay bind on pickup. They want the primary source of items and power be from playing the game itself, so there are no current plans for auction houses, but there will be limited trading available through clan banks.
  • Clans will be in the game and they will include clan banks to help with trading, but no other details were given.
  • Loot drops will be individual to the character like Diablo III currently is, but if you drop an item on the ground, everyone will be able to see it.
  • Crafting will be important to the game and they want to make it so you may go off course from completing quests to go grab a rare crafting material, but it’s still early in development and didn’t have more details at the moment.
Skills, Classes, and Gameplay
  • Skills will be bound to classes, you may have an item or two that procs another class’ skill, but still no plans for another enigma.
  • They’ve no plans for cross class skill interactions or combos, but they liked the idea.
  • The developers have been designing the monsters and skills so that they mesh well and interact with one another.
  • Movement skills will be more moderate than they were in Diablo III, the world is huge and the game will include mounts for traveling distances. You can highlight points of interest or quest in the world map to get a path indicator to help guide you towards those areas.
  • There will be a new system called “Stagger” for bosses. Whenever you use a crowd control skill on bosses it won’t cc the boss but will add to it’s stagger meter. Once a boss’ stagger meter is full they will be stunned to offer a brief reprieve for the players but with additional unique effects on each boss. One of the demo bosses had a long range sweep attack with it’s massive claws, but once staggered the claws break and their range is greatly reduced.
  • When World Events start they will notify everyone in the world and give its location on the world map for all players. If you can get to the events, you can participate.
  • Currently no max player counts yet, they’re still testing out what feels good.
  • The developers have lots of ideas for endgame systems and they want to offer a wide variety of things to do. We’ll get a preview of ‘Keyed Dungeons’ during tomorrow’s Systems & Features Panel.
    • Sanctuary has hundreds of dungeons and you’ll be able to get ‘keys’ that unlock max level versions of those dungeons with special modifiers on them and better loot.
Items and Character Customization
  • Magic and Rare items are designed as stepping stones to help players familiarize themselves with gearing and itemization as they level. Sets are designed for fresh characters that reached max level and to act as a guide to how items interact and buff skills with very set play styles. Legendaries are designed as the next step past sets where you have free reign on developing item loadouts to suit your play style. There will be tons of options as they’re designing hundreds of Legendary items and they all affect your skills. Some will add damage, some will change functionality and all are designed to give the player another level of customization for their character. There are apparently more tiers of items played, but whether they’re just better legendaries or actually different types of items is unclear.
  • Character customization has many avenues. In addition too items and runes there are skill and talent choices. While leveling or when ‘skill tomes’ you gain skill points that you can use to increase your skill ranks, unlocking new skills or empowering others. Skill point choices are permanent, but you will eventually be able to unlock and max all skill ranks. Talents are more playstyle choices and have effects on your skills, but will be respecable in the game.
  • Runes will have prefix and suffix types that when combined together have bonus effects. Gems will also exist and can be used in runewords as well.
  • The demo has pre-created characters but there will be a fully customization engine for creating your character. Face type, hair, skin color, eyes, scars, tattoos, and more will be available. They want it to have as many options as the WoW character creator.
Miscellaneous Tidbits and Monetization
  • Potions are an ever evolving system as they develop the game. Nothing really to share yet, but they don’t like how waiting 30-sec for your potion feels.
  • Treasure goblins will return. The developers like the gameplay elements they add where chasing a goblins may put you into dangerous situations.
  • Diablo IV has been developed from the ground up with PvP in mind. Diablo III had issues with balancing the game around PvP, but with Diablo IV PvP is factored into every development choice. The game will PvP.
  • Diablo IV is using a brand new custom built engine that uses physical based rendering. The engine allows for things like transitional skill animations where one skill will flawless blend into the next. There will be dynamic weather and day/night cycles in the game. Certain skills like the Druid’s Cataclysm can change the weather.
  • No support for UI mods are planned, but players familiar with Diablo III will be happy to know that elective mode style skill selection is the default. Freedom of choice is very important.
  • The developers play a lot of other games and game development is a lot of interpreting what others do. They get a lot of ideas from other games.
  • Monetization. Despite the early development the team has pretty much settled on a base game supported by expansions as the business model for Diablo IV.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's really hilarious that you see fit to criticize Path of Exile, which is a free game and costs literally nothing to play through and enjoy (the premium stuff is actually optional as opposed to some games where you end up forced to buy shit) and still manages to shit all over Diablo 3 from a great height in literally every aspect.

You can play and enjoy POE 100% without paying a fucking dime (I know because I have completed the game without spending anything on it and it was an absolute blast, as opposed to Diablo 3 which is a terrible game).

Meanwhile Blizzard is coming in their pants at the thought of all the ways they can harvest money from braindead fanboys and other stupid consumers from the next installment of Diablo. This company makes me sick.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Path of Exile has no offline mode.

Nobody complains, despite the fucking awful network.
Well for one thing PoE is f2p and isn't going to be re-priced as a $60 game like D4 probably will be in the long run...
So you're okay with eating shit as long as you're not paying for it? Seems like a weird rule but ok
What part of my sentence did it come off as me being complacent with PoE being online only in any way? Also shockingly no, it really isn't eating shit if I don't actually have to pay for it for simply trying it in comparison to giving money for a "live service" product that not only has a base fee to pay to play the game itself but along with whatever future cosmetic micro transactions they put in on launch and/or down the line. You come off as reaching of you have to immediately say I'm "eating shit" for trying something (hell, I don't even have many hours in PoE or Diablo 3).

Sentinel

Arcane
It's really hilarious that you see fit to criticize Path of Exile, which is a free game and costs literally nothing to play through and enjoy (the premium stuff is actually optional as opposed to some games where you end up forced to buy shit) and still manages to shit all over Diablo 3 from a great height in literally every aspect.
I didn't criticize PoE. I implicitly said anyone criticizing D4 for "online only" but eating up PoE's poorly coded forced online only mode is a hypocrite. "B-but PoE is free!" isn't relevant to the online-only discussion. It would be if we were talking about MTX.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Multiplayer games are online only and you eat that shit. Checkmate.

Watching streams now and don't see what people praise about the art and atmosphere, it's 99% same art and colors as D3, just with more splatters of blood and filter that make everything grey. :lol:

Sykar

Arcane
I see others have uploaded screenshots, but since I wasted time doing these I'm putting mine up too.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2kl473wqc/
Mage Talent Tree

Mage Skill Tree

Mage Skill Tree

Inventory

World Boss appears to allow more than 4 players

From this guys stream (he had the most viewers)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/502648895

You've got the labels reversed. What you call skill trees are the talent trees, and what you call talent trees are the skill loadouts (ala D3).

Wait, they still restrict it to a pitiful amount of 6 skills? That was D3 worst mistake. That they keep this shit is major :decline:.

I'm not into the occult so I don't know the glyphs retards used to summon rape demons irl. Do I care if Blizzard uses the 100% accurate satan-verified ones? Not really. I wouldn't know if they did.

Unless you grew up in an attic and were periodically fed fish heads through a pulley system, I'm pretty sure people know that an inverted pentagram tends to be very closely associated with Satanism or some sort of devil bullshit.
I also happen to know that there's plenty of other occult glyphs that are -not- inverted pentagrams. Inverted pentagrams are as pop culture as you get. For all you know Blizzard are using glyphs from a medieval book on the occultism.

I'm surprised they included Lilith.

Sigils for instance, would be more than welcome:

72_Goeta_sigils.png
There's a whole lot more material on demonology and satanism than what's covered by the Judeo-Christian perspective.

Even LaVeyan satanism is a far cry from what present civilization believes to be true when it comes to the devil and devil worship.

I watched last year's "scariest" horror movie, Hereditary, about the demon Paimon, and was shocked by the amount of information that I uncovered through a quick Google search.

There are texts predating LaVey and Crowley that stretch back hundreds of years... Grimoires used by legit black magic practitioners, alchemists, etc.

Now, fast forward to present times, and websites like www.joyofsatan.org keep the fantasy that is modern satanism alive.

What's even more bizarre is that modern satanists don't depict their god like the Bible does; Lucifer and his demons are bronze, muscular, attractive and if I didn't know any better, resemble angels not demons.

Nothing like the monsters of Diablo.

SOURCE

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

My favorite part about POE was actually nothing related to the game itself. It was to do with the community.

There is one guy in particular, I can't recall his name, but I remember there was one guy who was possibly posting from a mental asylum. He spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to support GGG and in doing so got to craft unique items. I think it was like, three or so swords he designed but they were extremely fucking stupid items that their own lore to them that had nothing to do with anything. They had this VERY idiotic backstory and to get the final sword you had to do this convoluted shit that would have made the Nintendo Power Hotline edge itself into a cum shower from how arcane it was.

Eventually though, someone or some people did figure it out and made this mythical sword... and it fucking SUCKED. Like, it was pure dogshit. Some dude spent like ten grand of real money, real money he could have spent on anything else. Think what you can do with ten grand. Take a trip all around Europe, build a PC for a decade to come, fuck five porn starlets at once, go to numerous sporting events with great seats, almost anything... and this guy spent all that money to make three swords that all sucked cock and nobody ever used in the end.

If there is one thing I thank POE for, it's that. I hope somebody that has a long history with that game knows what I'm talking about and can link to it so people here can take part in the sadistic joy I did in reading through it all. God bless weirdos.

Yosharian

Arcane
I didn't criticize PoE. I implicitly said anyone criticizing D4 for "online only" but eating up PoE's poorly coded forced online only mode is a hypocrite. "B-but PoE is free!" isn't relevant to the online-only discussion. It would be if we were talking about MTX.
Nobody is 'eating up' POE's poor netcode, though. It's just something you have to put up with when you pay NOTHING to play a game.

Yosharian

Arcane
My favorite part about POE was actually nothing related to the game itself. It was to do with the community.

There is one guy in particular, I can't recall his name, but I remember there was one guy who was possibly posting from a mental asylum. He spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to support GGG and in doing so got to craft unique items. I think it was like, three or so swords he designed but they were extremely fucking stupid items that their own lore to them that had nothing to do with anything. They had this VERY idiotic backstory and to get the final sword you had to do this convoluted shit that would have made the Nintendo Power Hotline edge itself into a cum shower from how arcane it was.

Eventually though, someone or some people did figure it out and made this mythical sword... and it fucking SUCKED. Like, it was pure dogshit. Some dude spent like ten grand of real money, real money he could have spent on anything else. Think what you can do with ten grand. Take a trip all around Europe, build a PC for a decade to come, fuck five porn starlets at once, go to numerous sporting events with great seats, almost anything... and this guy spent all that money to make three swords that all sucked cock and nobody ever used in the end.

If there is one thing I thank POE for, it's that. I hope somebody that has a long history with that game knows what I'm talking about and can link to it so people here can take part in the sadistic joy I did in reading through it all. God bless weirdos.
Idiots and their money are easily parted

Ensi

Educated
PoE is great although in recent years it's definitely gotten more dopey with the FULL SCREEN AOE KILL EVERYTHING stuff. I still enjoy it. D4 looks at least visually a lot better than D3, we'll see about the rest. Not very optimistic.

Hahahah...I actually know the guy you're talking about, I met him on battle.net in like 2002 or something. We were friends for a long time (starting with me as a preteen/teen and him almost 30), but I got tired of his drama/hissy fits and eventually stopped talking to him. He's a weird dude who inherited a ton of money from his dad or something. He did buy me a PSP for my birthday one year, that was nice.

His forum name is Charan`Jaydemr or something like that, actual name Wes. He also wrote a fantasy book that I read a few pages of before giving up. He's a smart guy, but full of himself and a bit pretentious.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackcloak-Sword-Bloody-Tapestry-Kaefre-ebook/dp/B00UMD9TGQ

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Reading the interviews the game looks to be so far away from launch that I wouldn't be surprised if we got Path of Exile 2 or some other "Diablo IV killer" before the game comes out.

It's not 2012 anymore, they have some actual competition now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom