Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

OctavianRomulus

Learned
To no one in particular: Just wondering, if you were the art director, how would you tell the player visually "This armor is phat epic lewt!!!!11" without giant glowing pauldrons?

Diablo 2 had unique enchantments and sets can emit auras or transform you into a vampire. But look to gothic armor

Yep. To be fair, i an not against carnavalesque armor IN WOW. Diablo needs a diabloesque armor design, not a wowesque armor design.

Gothic is a great example of realistic fantasy (maybe the best) but I really think Diablo has more in common with Dark Souls. Dark Souls is realistic but it stretches the limits of reality quite a bit while still being anchored in it (as opposed to something like D3). That's why places like Anor Londo feel real in spite of being huge, they are based on real architecture but they stretch the limits of reality, just like Diablo 1 and 2. Diablo, like Dark Souls is realistic but still larger than life.

It's no surprise they initially wanted to make D4 a Dark Souls spinoff. I would have loved to see that but it's probably not as monetisable as D4.

Perkel

Arcane
IronSnake.jpg

In therms of exaggerated pauldrons, nothing beats warhammer 40k (img source https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShouldersOfDoom ). He probably could't even see properly..

Yeah warhammer art destroyed so many games in history that it is hard to count. I always chuckle at huge armor with tiny open non protected head.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The way to make epic armor epic and not clownish is to make the other armors plainer. When you are ornamented with at least 5 skulls and a whirlwind of damned souls swirls around you by level 7, something is wrong.

Perkel

Arcane
The way to make epic armor epic and not clownish is to make the other armors plainer. When you are ornamented with at least 5 skulls and a whirlwind of damned souls swirls around you by level 7, something is wrong.

Warhammer art regardless of what will be normal soldiers run in will still look retarded.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

They write better in English than I can in Japanese.

About that "fow" they wrote: I took a class in college that touched on linguistics and class. We read a study where researchers went to three departments stores and looked for something on the fourth floor. Let's say it was men's shoes on the fourth floor. Then the researchers go to the employees and ask "Where are the men's shoes?"
  • In the lower-class department store, the employee answers "Fowth flow." The researcher says, "I'm sorry, where?" And most of the time the employee says again, "Fowth flow."
  • In the upper-class department store, the employee answers "Fourth floor." The researcher says, "I'm sorry, where?" And the employee says again, "Fourth floor."
  • But then at the middle-class department store, the employee says the first time "Fowth flow." The researcher says, "I'm sorry, where?" And 100% of the time, the employee switches and says "Fourth floor."
Edit: Also, isn't that the Hamburger Helper mascot? Actually, it's probably not, but it sure looks like him. I haven't seen that guy in years. Funny how things from your childhood can stick with you like that.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

That's either the Hamburger Helper-Hand... or Glover.

In fact, I've never seen those two in the same room together. HMMM.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Given that Diablo 3 is the best arpg on the market, it certainly can (and probably will) be a lot worse.
Seriously though, I thought the Diablo series' gameplay was "click to win" and not "action." I think of Dark Souls and Legend of Zelda, as different as they are thematically, as ARPGs. RPG because the character gets stronger with more HP, abilities, and equipment; and action because there's skill and timing involved in attacking and dodging.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Given that Diablo 3 is the WORST arpg on the market, and has less RPG elements than survival games it certainly can (and probably will) be a lot worse.

Fixed for you.

Seriously though, I thought the Diablo series' gameplay was "click to win" and not "action." I think of Dark Souls and Legend of Zelda, as different as they are thematically, as ARPGs. RPG because the character gets stronger with more HP, abilities, and equipment; and action because there's skill and timing involved in attacking and dodging.

There was skill involved on earlier Diablo games. But blizzard removed everything.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Typical codexian poster, first goes high brow then demonstrates zero knowledge. All in 2 swift quotes + remarks.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Given that Diablo 3 is the best arpg on the market, it certainly can (and probably will) be a lot worse.

arpg is a term that was specifically coined to refer to diablo clones. if there's one type of game that can be called an arpg it's a diablo clone

legend of zelda isn't an rpg at all

and I don't know which diablo you played but dodging (not by pressing a dodge button but by moving around) was pretty key to glass cannons in D2/D3. sorcs/bowazons can't tank very well

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
legend of zelda isn't an rpg at all

Sure, but Zelda has more RPG elements than Diablo 3.

Hell, even Cod/Battlefield has more RPG elements than D3. At least on BF1 is rare to see someone at lv cap...

If you think zelda has more RPG elements than D3 you are a fucking retard.

Actually all the D3 haters on this web site seem to be fucking retards. It's not edgy to hate a game because everybody else does, you fucking sheeps.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually all the D3 haters on this web site seem to be fucking retards. It's not edgy to hate a game because everybody else does, you fucking sheeps.

No, we hate D3 because :

• CArtoonish wow style graphics
  • Carnavalesque armor design
  • Jay Wilson
  • Everything scales with weapon damage, including monks punches and necros minions
  • Cooldowns everywhere
  • Difficulty is just hp/damage inflation
  • Is extremely repeititive
  • No immunity/resistances. You can use siphon blood against the skeleton king
  • Everyone is at lv cap 30 minutes after the season starts
  • Set determining the loadout(you don't build a character on D3, you choose in a cod-like loadout) taking out over half of the gear customization(And due the no character customization it becomes worst)
  • LaAck of mature contents(d1 had no problem showing succubus breasts for eg)
  • Everyone is a clone
  • Instead of tomes(d1) or skill trees(d2), the cod style loadout system sucks.
  • (...)
I can continue listing forever. Diablo 3 is not a RPG. Is more like Gauntlet Legends meets WoW than a proper Diablo game

PS : At least on Zelda, you have a little of character progression and mechanics that makes sense in according to the world's lore.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom