Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo released on GOG

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/03/07/blizzards-original-diablo-is-available-on-gogs-storefront

Blizzard's Original Diablo Is Available On GOG's Storefront
by Hunter Wolfe on Mar 07, 2019 at 08:00 AM

diablo.jpg

It's not easy to play the original Diablo without purchasing a physical copy. Starting today, though, you can buy Blizzard's classic role-playing game digitally via GOG – and it's getting some improvements.

Blizzard revealed plans to spruce up and re-release classic games from its vault, starting today with Diablo for $9.99, the classic hack 'n' slash RPG that originally launched on PC in 1996.

Two versions of the game are available for Windows via GOG: the Battle.net Edition is a vanilla build that supports Battle.net multiplayer. The GOG-Enhanced Edition fixes a few bugs, is fully Windows 10 compatible, and adds some light graphical up-scaling.

"We were bummed that these iconic games weren't available to our players, so we're very happy to work with the crew at GOG.com to rectify that," says Rob Bridenbecker, VP and executive producer at Blizzard Entertainment.

Diablo is just the first title to get a re-release out of the Blizzard-GOG contract. The publisher confirms that Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II re-releases are in the works and says to expect more information soon.

"Crawling through the original Diablo's dungeons, together with Blizzard, is a feeling of pure excitement," says Oleg Klapovsky, SVP at GOG. "It's a personal thing for many of us, and the most wished-for game in our community. Taking the first few steps beneath the Tristram Cathedral, listening to the guidance of Cain the Elder – it's all coming back, for old souls and newcomers alike."

Warcraft & Warcraft II will get a GOG release too.

Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why is that article using a screenshot of the playstation version? Game journos gonna journo :lol:

Anyhoo, wow that was unexpected. On the gog storefront it says this:
For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today’s gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.

I wonder what the high-res support actually means, since the screenshots seem to be on the original one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn, beat me to it. But uh, is it really worth it? Blizzard feeling a decline or something? Are there layoffs in their future?

Mods I suppose will work? Maybe they bought stock in mice (oh the click-fest before holding down to repeat action via D2).
$10? Uh..... no. Not worth it imho. Too easy so I play beelzebub or something (though respawn leaves you the feeling of lack of level completion).

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why is that article using a screenshot of the playstation version? Game journos gonna journo :lol:
He probably think they're releasing a PS4 version on GOG. I'm surprised he's not begging for a Switch release in the article.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, back in the day my pa & I got dual copies of d1&2 and later I got dialup and learned to copy hellfire and other crap. I wouldn’t be surprised if I have 3-4 copies of Diablo as I swear a couple came with something else. I’m just not going to bother.

I wonder if it’s going to be usable on the phone. I hear it’s all the rage.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I literally bought it the minutes I received the email. Good news. Lost my original CDs (with Hellfire too) ages ago.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I still have the old disk but I dont feel like buying again or replaying unmodded Diablo, all the characters play the same except mage that nigga sucks.
Do they let you active the gog version on battle.net?
If they do Ill hook up me and all my niggas with D1 on me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Thank you Gaming God. Goddamn three of my favorite games of all time will now be playable without literal technomagic. Diablo first I guess. Party of three is needed since I never played it that way.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's just a bundled ddraw wrapper that will integer scale the game to your desktop resolution (aspect-ratio correct), which has been available in the community for years.

if anyone wanted to play diablo and spent 5 minutes googling, they would have found it and played it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's just a bundled ddraw wrapper that will integer scale the game to your desktop resolution (aspect-ratio correct), which has been available in the community for years.

if anyone wanted to play diablo and spent 5 minutes googling, they would have found it and played it.

I have trouble getting my disc to work, and now people can play it easily, when otherwise they would be too lazy to do it. Hellfire works but no multiplayer. Beelzebub was it?

And yes there are people too dumb to figure the shit out. I try to deal with them all the time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
that's fair. i guess a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable or know how to download it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Big Boss, I think there was a way to get Blizzard to send you a download key if you still have the old box.

Agris, surely you're happy to see an seminole game become officially and readily available in digital format? Preserving abandonware is important IMO. Or well, now I guess it's the artist formerly known as abandonware.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't think my emotional response rises to the level of happy/unhappy, I'm merely providing clarity as to what the "high resolution" support GoG provides is, and placing it in context with what has been available for download for owners of Diablo 1 for years.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

So you mean it's just like every other GOG release ever.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The music and general atmosphere of that game were absolutely fucking amazing. Thinking about it really brings the fuzzy nostalgia feeling of being a teenager with no problems in life and PC gaming inclined to epic proportions without all the modern subhumanity ruination.

Can't say I'm particularly interested in replaying it today though, definitely one of these titles best left in memories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom