Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo released on GOG

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Who the fuck could play Diablo 1 for even 5 minutes and create something like Diablo 3 or Diablo Immortal for that matter, and think to themselves, “nailed it”?
It's a shame that almost none of the Diablo team was on Diablo 3. Only K. Williams, F. Pearce, D. Berggren and S. Didier worked on D3, the rest is working somewhere else. Then again Boyarsky also worked on D3 and it didn't help much since all of his ideas were shot down and he had no creative freedom so Diablo 3 was destined for popamole from the get go.
Is there any proof of this because Outer Worlds looks on par with Diablo 3.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And I get an ad-review from PCgamer. If I hate the online D3, then Pagan won’t whet my whistle either. Doesn’t diablo fall under action rpg but really it’s just a more inventory based gauntlet game. You can’t kill the towns people and join the bad guys. You can’t fuck the wenches or drink until you’re drunk. No real dialogue either. You click and read. It’s not like you can say, “Fuck off Gheed!” As you slit his fat gut open (d2 there). Hey ya old witch! My dick is limp and Gilian laughs at it. Got something to harden it up?

But it does what it does well enough and I enjoyed it for years.

typical user

Arbiter
I tried Diablo as a warrior a few months ago and found it to be deadly boring. Is the game more interesting if you play as the other classes, or is it just not for me?

That's how hack'nslash work. You run around killing stuff so you can get stuff to kill stronger stuff. Warrior is 'boring' because you can just tank hits and crush your way through. The best part is level 9 onward, monsters get seriously strong which force you to grind for better gear or suffer dying from bigger crowds of lightning lizards and whatnot.

Try rogue - she is centered around bows and dex weapons, less tanky and allows you to play at range without spamming mana potions or abusing mana shields. Maybe kiting enemies and focusing on attack speed is going to be your game. Most people here play Diablo for nostalgia factor, the game is simple - and that's it's main charm.

Actually I remember one of the most curious items in the game: Thinking Cap which boosts all your spells levels but has 1/1 durability (one hit destroys it completely and removes it from your inventory unless you find other items to boost it's toughness).

grom

Educated
That's how hack'nslash work. You run around killing stuff so you can get stuff to kill stronger stuff. Warrior is 'boring' because you can just tank hits and crush your way through. The best part is level 9 onward, monsters get seriously strong which force you to grind for better gear or suffer dying from bigger crowds of lightning lizards and whatnot.

Try rogue - she is centered around bows and dex weapons, less tanky and allows you to play at range without spamming mana potions or abusing mana shields. Maybe kiting enemies and focusing on attack speed is going to be your game. Most people here play Diablo for nostalgia factor, the game is simple - and that's it's main charm.

Actually I remember one of the most curious items in the game: Thinking Cap which boosts all your spells levels but has 1/1 durability (one hit destroys it completely and removes it from your inventory unless you find other items to boost it's toughness).
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try it again someday if it goes on sale.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Diablo is not an RPG.
GdMHUEg.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Guys, if you don't know, the non-popamole version of the game already exists:

lul

Seriously though, the game is pretty simplistic, it's just that everything is so god damn pretty you can't resist it. Atmosphere, music, art style, everything is as good as it ever got in a game. Gameplay may be king but presentation (in terms of tone, style, character and not just grafix) is a lost art nowadays.

Sprintle

Barely Literate
Glad to see it's up on GOG. I definitely replay Diablo 1 much more than 2. I always burn out on these aRPG loot type games so I don't mind the short length. Music and atmosphere are superior to all of its sequels as well.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I tried Diablo as a warrior a few months ago and found it to be deadly boring. Is the game more interesting if you play as the other classes, or is it just not for me?
Diablo and all the clones are just repetitive boring mindless crap. You either have to be really dumb or have some sort of mental issue that repetition soothes. Also, kleptomania.

Tao

Savant
I bought it. I'll probably end up buying WarCraft and WarCraft II as well. I support this move by Blizzard and GOG.

The buildup to the Butcher is just fantastic in this game. I had a great time playing on Battle.net with friends tonight.

So you can buy it at gog and activate it on battle.net?

Last edited:

Arulan

Cipher
I bought it. I'll probably end up buying WarCraft and WarCraft II as well. I support this move by Blizzard and GOG.

The buildup to the Butcher is just fantastic in this game. I had a great time playing on Battle.net with friends tonight.

So you can buy it at gog and activate it on battle.net?

No, I mean the Battle.net servers and said multiplayer functionality are still up and running.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Too bad Diablo 1 was the only one that tried to do the "cursed items" thing in which some items had drawbacks if you used them but made up for it in some ways. Imagine if there was mention the only way to remove the curses from items that you pull from the spawns of Hell is to get it blessed by someone of unwavering piety. But oh wait, Cain only deals in weird arcane shit and Pepin is just the local village doctor, the only bishop made a heel turn and is killing kids on his altar so you're fucked and have to deal with it in D1.

Then when you would play Diablo II, you are able to play a Paladin who can do all that shit FO FREE.

That's called teasing the player. Blizzard should've hired me.

Arulan

Cipher
Too bad Diablo 1 was the only one that tried to do the "cursed items" thing in which some items had drawbacks if you used them but made up for it in some ways. Imagine if there was mention the only way to remove the curses from items that you pull from the spawns of Hell is to get it blessed by someone of unwavering piety. But oh wait, Cain only deals in weird arcane shit and Pepin is just the local village doctor, the only bishop made a heel turn and is killing kids on his altar so you're fucked and have to deal with it in D1.

Then when you would play Diablo II, you are able to play a Paladin who can do all that shit FO FREE.

That's called teasing the player. Blizzard should've hired me.

I had to make Constricting Ring work for me (Max all resistances; Lose 1.25 HP/s). My friend was playing a Sorcerer with me, and this was when Diablo had friendly-fire for spells (and ranged attacks in general I believe).

Beastro

Arcane
Diablo and all the clones are just repetitive boring mindless crap. You either have to be really dumb or have some sort of mental issue that repetition soothes. Also, kleptomania.

One could argue the same thing about EQ and its own imitators (especially the kleptomania bit).

We both could say that is wrong or isn't the whole truth, but the same could be said about Diablo.

Martyr

Arcane
the only things that I remembered about the first Diablo was that it had amazing dark atmosphere and a great fitting soundtrack, so I bought it the second it was released on gog (despite owning the retail version).
yesterday I've finally finished that game and my god, I don't think I'll play it again in the next 20-30 years. gameplay-wise Diablo 2 is so much better that it isn't even funny anymore.
not being able to run, the inventory full of multiple stacks of money, only one row of quick-inventory slots and having to click the mouse for every single attack made this game a chore to play through.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
gameplay-wise Diablo 2 is so much better that it isn't even funny anymore.
not being able to run, the inventory full of multiple stacks of money, only one row of quick-inventory slots and having to click the mouse for every single attack made this game a chore to play through.

I agree, but seeing how this was the only Diablo I didn't play, it was nice to finally beat it. Won't be playing it any time soon, though.

You know what is my dream. Not diablo 1 on gog.

But a hd version of Warcraft 2, where all the sceneries and units are hand-remade. It would be a dream work. Sadly it will never see the light of the day.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is it worth playing Diablo unmodded, or should I just play the Belzebub version?
Play Belzebub, qol stuff is great and game still play just like normal Diablo 1. And you have a new class or two to try out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom