Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

lightbane

Arcane
The end is near...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 10 > - < A DELIVERER OF MERCY >

Watchmen+11+-+02.jpg

diarypage-30+copy.jpg

diarypage-31+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

It's about time I located Jacy West, but as I'm about to leave my flat, my gaze falls on a crimewave article :

scummvm04545_resize.jpg

Over 78 people have lost their lives and countless
numbers have been injured over the last week alone.

Some murders seem to have been the work of a
psychopathic killer including the murder yesterday
of a school teacher. The killer, now called
"The Dealer", is leaving a playing card next to each
of his victims.

Other crimes are linked to robbery or muggings.
The murder of Peter Hines has shocked the city.
Police, as ever, repeated that everything is
under control but we must ask ourselves, is it
time we took the law into our own hands?

For a moment I wonder if somehow I'm the one behind those murders. I'm having these blackouts after all and my state of mind is certainly questionable.

ryan.png
Wait a minute, yesterday I was after Caen, I couldn't have killed that school teacher... Right ?

I convince myself that I have nothing to do with any of this. Playing cards and school teachers have nothing to do with the Seven and Dreamweb. I'm not the "Dealer". I pull myself together and head out. Caen's file said that West was residing in a certain boathouse...

scummvm04093_resize.jpg

scummvm04095_resize.jpg

I stand on an embankment covered in silted earth. Sea water washes slowly and darkly against the sand and the bank is littered with rocks and boulders. Stone steps lead upwards.

scummvm04098_resize.jpg

We haven't been treating the environment very nicely, so the environment is returning the favor. I head to the right.

scummvm04115_resize.jpg

The boathouse is located here on the beach. It is about ten feet up in the air supported by concrete pillars that plunge deep into the beach and into the murky waters.

scummvm04117_resize.jpg

The fence isn't very high, I think I could climb it...

scummvm04119_resize.jpg

Rashly ? Each move I make is the result of careful consideration, I tell y-

scummvm04122_resize.jpg

scummvm04125_resize.jpg

scummvm04126_resize.jpg

scummvm04129_resize.jpg

Ok, maybe that was a little rash. The file *did* mention that West was heavily protected by a security system. I take a closer look at the fence :

scummvm04118_resize.jpg

Right. I spot the device on the north wall.

scummvm04134_resize.jpg

scummvm04135_resize.jpg

I 'll need to bypass it somehow. Very carefully I search for any openings.

scummvm04137_resize.jpg

Damn. There *must* be a way in. I can't have come all this way for nothing !
As I walk up and down the beach , desperately trying to think of something, I step over something metallic...

scummvm04139_resize.jpg

scummvm04142_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Yes ! This must be providing power to the security device !

I remove the sand from the cover with my hands.

scummvm04145_resize.jpg

scummvm04151_resize.jpg

Hah, a thin gap is all I need ! I pull out my trusty knife :

scummvm04159_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Damn ! The knife bended. I need something stronger.

I grab my screwdriver...

scummvm04161_resize.jpg

Nothing, the lid is too heavy.

There's only one thing left to do...

scummvm04157_resize.jpg

:x The plasma shot bounced off the lid and barely scratched it...

ryan.png
I can't believe it... this goddamned lid is shielded better than that goddamned aircraft !

A cry of agony escapes my lungs.

scummvm04149_A_resize.jpg

So is this the end ? Is the world going to be doomed, because some bloke made a really sturdy junction box ? At this moment of utmost desperation, I realize that the blue crystal in my inventory is emitting a strong light.

scummvm02345.jpg

When I take it in my hands, a voice echoes in the night :

crystal.png
Ryan. I will offer you help to surpass this obstacle, but first I want you to answer a question.

ryan.png
W-who are you ?

crystal.png
My identity is of no importance, but my question is. Listen carefully and think hard before you answer. Tell me... "What can change the nature of a man ?"

I stare baffled at the crystal. Out of nowhere someone is offering me help, but he wants me to answer some strange riddle first. My mind feels like it's on fire. I think of Eden...

ryan.png
Is the answer... love ?

crystal.png
A man can change *through* love but not *by* love. It's a good answer but not *the* answer. Try again, my question is tricky so I will give you more chances to answer it correctly.

ryan.png
Then it's power. Power can change the nature of a man.

crystal.png
No. Power corrupts, but corruption isn't change... not entirely.

ryan.png
Is it... madness ?

crystal.png
Is it that you fear that madness has changed you, my friend ? No, madness isn't a force of change, it merely opens and closes certain doors in your mind. Try again.

scummvm04325_A_resize+copy.jpg

crystal.png
Ah, regret. Not a bad answer since regret is a herald for change, but not its cause.

ryan.png
Fear then.

crystal.png
I'm afraid not. Fear is one of the driving forces behind your very existence. It cannot change you, not by itself, it *is* a part of you. I've given you many opportunities, Ryan. I'll give only one more chance at answering correctly.

ryan.png
But my quest is very important, please help me without riddles !

crystal.png
The answer to my riddle is equally important. Take your time and be very careful.

The pressure is pushing me off the edge. I have an instant blackout and my life passes before me in fractions. I... see. Is this the answer ? My mouth opens and spouts out the word :

scummvm04325_B_resize+copy.jpg

crystal.png
YES. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. Belief is the driving force for change.

ryan.png
I... I answered correctly ?

crystal.png
Indeed. It was belief that you are fighting to save the world from devastation, that you are chosen to defend the Dreamweb from corruption... belief than you are protecting your loved ones, that changed your nature. It's belief that brought you where you are, Ryan. Belief *can* change the nature of a man.

ryan.png
But was I right to believe all this ?

crystal.png
There is no right or wrong here. You've made your choices, you are what you are. Now, it's time I fulfilled my promise. Go over to the railing by the steps. The hinges are rusty. Remove a sizable piece and it will give you enough leverage to open the lid.

ryan.png
That's it ?

crystal.png
That's it. Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Farewell.

I stand still for some time. I realize that without divine intervention --or whatever you want to call this-- I would have never discovered this crazy solution. I approach the railing.

scummvm04217_resize.jpg

scummvm04218_resize.jpg

With the piece in my hands I go back to the Junction box.

scummvm04230_resize.jpg

scummvm04227_resize.jpg

scummvm04233_resize.jpg

At last, it's open. I take a peek inside...

scummvm04237_resize.jpg

Hah, I know what I must do now. I *did* find a pair of wire cutters earlier !

scummvm04155_resize.jpg

scummvm04239_resize.jpg

What the fuck ? The cutters are so dull they couldn't cut through pudding.

ryan.png
Oh gods, why are you tormenting me ?!

I glance at the crystal but its light is dull again. It seems I'll have to figure out this goddamned puzzle myself. As I search my surroundings the sewage pipe grabs my attention.

scummvm04199_resize.jpg

scummvm04200_resize.jpg

The filthy water seems toxic. If only I could gather some of it without spilling it on me... Hey, Sparky could give me an empty bottle, or something !

scummvm04167_resize.jpg

When I arrive outside the bar, I realize this is a solution only a madman could have devised. Then, I see that the drunkard isn't lying there anymore. He has left his empty beer bottles behind though.

scummvm04191_resize.jpg

scummvm04192_resize.jpg

That's all I need. Back at the beach I approach the sewage pipe with the bottle in my hands.

scummvm04198_resize.jpg

scummvm04203_resize.jpg

Armed with machine's *and* human toxic waste, I attack the Junction box.

scummvm04247_resize.jpg

scummvm04243_resize.jpg

scummvm04249_resize.jpg

scummvm04255_resize.jpg

It never stood a chance.

scummvm04260_resize.jpg

scummvm04262_resize.jpg

scummvm04263_resize.jpg

scummvm04266_resize.jpg

There isn't really anything left of the security machine. There's just a crater in the wall where it used to be. Small wisps of smoke rise slowly upwards from the blackened wreckage.

scummvm04278_resize.jpg

The blast from the exploding security system has left a gaping hole in the balcony railing. It should be safe enough to climb up now. I hoist myself onto the balcony.

scummvm04285_resize.jpg

scummvm04288_resize.jpg

scummvm04295_resize.jpg

That blast has created quite a big hole in the window. Shards of broken glass lay all around and the edges of the window are sharp and jagged. Some parts of the window seem to have melted. Gingery I step through.

scummvm04301_resize.jpg

The room has been wrecked by the explosion I caused. There is blood everywhere and a trail leads to Jacy West who lays barely alive with her intestines trailed out behind her.

scummvm04307_resize_AA.jpg

I approach her.

scummvm04314_resize_A.jpg

scummvm04315_resize_A.jpg

west.png
Uh, Ryan, that's your... uh... name isn't it?

ryan.png
Yes. Although some call me Chefe.

west.png
I wondered.. uh... how long... it would take for you to find me.

ryan.png
I have come this far, I have to kill you all.

scummvm04325_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Where are the others?

west.png
As if... uh... I'd tell you! Riccitiello is growing, soon he will be too strong.

ryan.png
Tell me where he is, or I'll leave you here in agony !

west.png
No, please I... don't know !

ryan.png
You should've been dead by now, but it seems your body has become stronger with the power of the Dreamweb. Who knows how long you could survive in this state...

scummvm04331_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Then talk !

west.png
H-He... He's in some Church, I don't know which one, they didn't tell me for security reasons. Please believe me...!

ryan.png
I believe you.

It's time I showed some mercy.

scummvm04341_resize.jpg

scummvm04344_resize.jpg

scummvm04351_resize.jpg

scummvm04359_resize.jpg

scummvm04371_resize.jpg

scummvm04398_resize.jpg

diarypage-32+copy.jpg

diarypage-33+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
username: mca, password: ymca
:lol:

Also, I read about the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus in Gibbon the other day and remembered this LP, and now they make an appearance - how cool is that?

Also, Jasede needs to check out that comic :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
These two puzzles where really frustrating. I remembered I had to do something with the bottle from my old playthrough, but that fucking railing was mindblowing. Thank god for mca's intervention.

As for the sleepers of Ephesus, yeah, this diary prompted me to find out about them, it's a cool story and one that's surprisingly told in both Christian ands Islamic texts.

lightbane

Arcane
Bloody awesome as always.

I can't believe it... this goddamned lid is shielded better than that goddamned aircraft !

:troll:

I realize that the blue crystal in my inventory is emitting a strong light.

My sight may be quite bad, but isn't that violet?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
My sight may be quite bad, but isn't that violet?
You goddamned nitpicker !

But you're right of course. When I was writing the text for some reason I believed the crystal was blue. Later on when I had the picture I completely missed it. What can I say, belief shapes the planes. :troll:

spekkio

Arcane
ITT we learn that 2D chip and 512 KB of memory is enough to make great games.

:salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

< 11 > - < THE CHURCH OF ENTROPY >

Watchmen-revenge-00.jpg

Watchmen-revenge-01.jpg

diarypage-34+copy.jpg

diarypage-35+copy.jpg

diarypage-36+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

Am I awake ? Is it a dream ? Or a dream within a dream ?

scummvm04405_resize.jpg

I don't know. I don't care. I release West's energy into the dreamweb and face the keeper.

scummvm04413_resize.jpg

scummvm04416_resize.jpg

ryan.png
I can feel their strength.

TheKeeper.png
The two left are a priest, named Riccitiello and a violent psychopath named Kotick.

ryan.png
Riccitiello. I looked him up. He was the all powerful CEO of the EA conglomerate.

TheKeeper.png
He was the mastermind behind the assimilation of Origin, Westwood, Bioware and others into EA's massive corporate body. He looked for developing studios with vision and talent, aggressively acquired their stocks, slaved them to death into mass producing inferior products and afterwards pissed on their rotted carcass.

ryan.png
Disgusting. At some point he left EA to create the Church Of Scatology, did he not ?

TheKeeper.png
He still pulls the strings of EA behind the scenes, but yes, he formed his own religion. Scatology teaches that people are immortal beings who have forgotten their true nature. Their teachings are based on the beliefs of the prophet Skyway, who proclaimed that the world was created from feces.

ryan.png
What a load of shit.

TheKeeper.png
Indeed. It is basically a cult that financially defrauds and abuses its members, but now that Riccitiello has become one of the Seven he can do immense damage. Mutations have already taken place inside his body...

scummvm04421_resize.jpg

TheKeeper.png
He will use his power to transcend the boundaries of Earth. He seeks higher goals than the mere domination of the Dreamweb.

ryan.png
Can I reach him in time?

TheKeeper.png
Perhaps. But you must act quickly.

ryan.png
What if he has reached Entropy?

scummvm04432_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Kotick... Wasn't he the CEO of another conglomerate ?

TheKeeper.png
CEO of Activision Blizzard and a director of the Coca-Cola company. Merely his job description requires him to be evil, but he surpassed all boundaries. He mercilessly pushed for franchises that can be exploited over a long period of time and thus drowned the world in endless, hollow sequels, damning all fresh ideas with innovation and vision. Money was the only thing Kotick ever believed in.

ryan.png
Oh yes, I remember. when confronted about how expensive his products are he replied "if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further." What a prick. But he vanished at some point, what happened ?

TheKeeper.png
When he was chosen as one of the Seven, his psychosis exploded out of control. He went off the grid to fully indulge into his murderous appetites. Since then he has committed atrocities beyond belief.

scummvm04436_resize.jpg

Armed with grim determination I proceed with the opening of the next seal.

scummvm04448_resize.jpg

scummvm04458_resize.jpg

scummvm04466_resize.jpg

scummvm04468_resize.jpg

scummvm04475_resize.jpg

I stand on an embankment covered in silted earth. Sea water washes slowly and darkly against the sand and the bank is littered with rocks and boulders. A weather-beaten sign is posted next to me.

scummvm04482_resize.jpg

scummvm04485_resize.jpg

Polluted water is the least of my worries right now. I head back to my apartment.

scummvm00438.jpg

I must find the whereabouts of Riccitiello and Kotick, and I'm sure that the cartridge I found in Bleszinski's home holds the answers...

scummvm04091_resize.jpg

If only I knew the password ! I try some guesses, but to no avail.

scummvm04562_resize.jpg

As I feverishly try to think of the right password, something on my bed catches my attention...

scummvm04072_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Huh ? What's this, a diary ?

I shift through its pages and I realize that it was me who wrote it. I don't know what frightens me more, the fact that all this looks like the ravings of a madman, or that I have no recollection of keeping this diary...

Front_Cover.jpg

Suddenly, a page in the diary piques my interest...

diary.jpg

ryan.png
St. Septimus... Septimus... of course !

I go back to my console :

scummvm04567_resize.jpg

Yes, I'm in !

BRIEF:

To all members involved with Project 7
please note that Riccitiello is now
within his secret chambers at St.Septimus
and is not to be disturbed there.

scummvm04576_resize.jpg

Next stop : the goddamned church.

scummvm04582_resize.jpg

scummvm04586_resize.jpg

The outside of the church looks gray and foreboding. I'm filled with a sudden desire to leave as soon as possible. The wind blows light drops of rain into your face as I stand in front of this unfriendly place. There's a sign with a dirty glass front by the entrance :

scummvm04589_resize.jpg

I'm in the right place. But the gate is locked.

scummvm04593_resize.jpg

scummvm04594_resize.jpg

To high for me to climb, but I've got something that might help me here :

scummvm04595_resize.jpg

scummvm04596_resize.jpg

scummvm04602_resize.jpg

scummvm04610_resize.jpg

That wasn't so hard, nevertheless I fell reluctant to enter the ruined church, but I know that I have to.

scummvm04615_resize.jpg

scummvm04616_resize.jpg

I stand just inside the entrance to the church. Two large statues stand either side of the door and stare blankly into space. The floor is made from old and broken stone blocks that lead towards the altar. Something is lying in the floor in front of me :

scummvm04618_resize.jpg

scummvm04619_resize.jpg

ryan.png
Hmm, this hand... there's something...

scummvm04624_resize.jpg

There's something about this hand and the ring in its finger. I can't remove the ring, so I morbidly decide to bring the whole hand with me. While I'm kneeling on the floor, I examine the markings :

scummvm04638_resize.jpg

So this church is also a burial ground for long-forgotten saints or is it... devils ? A fitting place for this corpse to remain. I wonder how many more victims these halls will claim before the day is over. I move further in.

scummvm04647_resize.jpg

Rows of wooden pews line the central isle of the church. High above my head wooden beams support a badly maintained roof. Bats fly occasionally above me and the atmosphere is cold and unwelcoming. Ahead of me lies the altar :

scummvm04658_resize.jpg

I feel some kind of power emanating from this room. The alter stands on a raised platform that has a wooden rail running round it. A small set of steps are leading into the darkness at the side of the platform. A large wooden cross towers behind the altar :

scummvm04666_resize.jpg

scummvm04668_resize.jpg

On the floor is a small wooden box that is used for holding communion wafers.

scummvm04672_resize.jpg

I decide to leave them be, I have enough sins on my back. I take the stairs down :

scummvm04685_resize.jpg

scummvm04687_resize.jpg

I find myself in a narrow room that spans the width of the church. There is a solid set of metal doors in the rear wall and the room is cold and very damp. Riccitiello must be beyond these doors :

scummvm04694_resize.jpg

Next to the door I spot a wooden handled switch.

scummvm04698_resize.jpg

Damn ! I look at the Grating on the floor :

scummvm04700_resize.jpg

scummvm04701_resize.jpg

Frustrated I go back to the altar and examine it closely.

scummvm04703_resize.jpg

scummvm04704_resize.jpg

A-HA ! I remove the things on top of the altar...

scummvm04713_resize.jpg

And discover something interesting :

scummvm04714_resize.jpg

scummvm04715_resize.jpg

Reluctant to use my own hand I place the skeletal hand I carry with me :

scummvm04716_resize.jpg

scummvm04717_resize.jpg

Glad that it wasn't my hand caught in the mechanism, I get ready to give the altar a push :

scummvm04723_resize.jpg

:SPIT:

scummvm04725_resize.jpg

:RUB:

scummvm04727_resize.jpg

: PUSH:

scummvm04732_resize.jpg

:COMPLAIN:

scummvm04735_resize.jpg

: PUSH HARDER:

scummvm04740_resize.jpg

scummvm04743_resize.jpg

A small hole that looks just wide enough for a man to squeeze through is revealed before me. The hole is framed with wood and cobwebs cover it.

ryan.png
Wish me luck.

scummvm04746_resize.jpg

TITLE.png

spekkio

Arcane
The comic alone is the work of genius.

Are you sure you're not one of MCA's alts, Dawg?

:hmmm:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
HOLY SHIT!

This is awesome, excellent work ghostdog!

Though it's funny that it's only because the photoshopping is otherwise so good, that the few mistakes are thus so glaring - like the couple of times that you forgot to change Trash into the game.

Anyway, thanks for doing this LP. As said, the comic alone is magnificent!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
HOLY SHIT!

This is awesome, excellent work ghostdog!

Though it's funny that it's only because the photoshopping is otherwise so good, that the few mistakes are thus so glaring - like the couple of times that you forgot to change Trash into the game.

Anyway, thanks for doing this LP. As said, the comic alone is magnificent!
Can you pinpoint those mistakes ? It's easy overlook them sometimes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks! I'll fix them. Eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom