Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Did BioWare dumb down Dragon Age ?

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah some game like kotor+ the space action of xwing vs tie fighter, now that would be very good. I has been a very long time since i played an action space battle game like xwings or wing commander.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Silellak said:
Yeah, I updated my original post with a link to an article from 2001 using that term.
I did some more thinking, out of curiosity, and the oldest I can think of is MDK, in 1997. Firt third-person shooter in the way we now think of as 3rd person (ie over the shoulder, therefore things like Postal or Mageslayer and Take No Prisoners don't count). Pretty cool when you think about it. That game sure was original.

In this thread we have learned that both Volourn AND IGN are full of shit. Surprising!
very :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Nothing happens to BIO ever unless the docs okay it. Period. This is simple fact.

Excuse me who are those "docs"? You mean Riccitiello's employees that can be fired by him at any time he wants?

Ruprekt said:
The closest comparison to ME2 I can think of is wing commander 3/4.

What the fuck am I reading

Ruprekt said:
Thinking about it... why don't bioware make a space sim with me2 style cutscenes?
Because Bioware sucks at making shooters and universes?

Drakron

Arcane
AnalogKid said:
But I don't know how you'd find cover in your space fighter ...

You reminded me of WC:P were space stations and ships were indestructible so you could hide behind then and suffer no damaged.

By "indestructible" I do not mean they could not be destroyed, they could by taking down their "sub-systems" that simply moved them from "not exploding" to "exploding".

Funny, with all the advances we just got bugs (enemies) and a even worst system that WC IV that is the crown of the series ... decline ... decline ...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I did some more thinking, out of curiosity, and the oldest I can think of is MDK, in 1997. Firt third-person shooter in the way we now think of as 3rd person (ie over the shoulder, therefore things like Postal or Mageslayer and Take No Prisoners don't count). Pretty cool when you think about it. That game sure was original.
How about Fade To Black (1995)?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
How about Fade To Black (1995)?
Mmm not sure... didn`t Fade to Black work like Alone in the Dark (the old ones), with the backgrounds being fixed and changing depending on where you walk? I'm not sure I'd call that "real" TP; it's certainly not over-the-shoulder (though for some reason most of the Moby screenshots are, so maybe I don't remember how the game worked). In any case we can safely say ME2 didn't invent the term "TPS" - it's more than a dozen years old.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Excuse me who are those "docs"? You mean Riccitiello's employees that can be fired by him at any time he wants? "

BIO doesn't go anywhere unless the docs say so no matter how many times you claim otherwise. Trust me on that.

"In any case we can safely say ME2 didn't invent the term "TPS" - it's more than a dozen years old. "

Nobody seriously claimed otherwise - espicially since ME2 is not a TPS, dumbnutz. It's an action rpg ala BL or G.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
BIO doesn't go anywhere unless the docs say so no matter how many times you claim otherwise. Trust me on that.

Why? The owner of Bioware is Riccitiello, not "docs".
Nothing will stop him from pulling Infinity Ward-2 on Bioware's asses. Because "docs"'s asses belong to him.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't think Riccitello would just buy Bioware for $600 million and then fire the founders.
It's not that easy. There's definitely also a clause in the contract that gives Bio a high level degree of autonomy.

Bioware is still Bioware.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Why? The owner of Bioware is Riccitiello, not "docs".
Nothing will stop him from pulling Infinity Ward-2 on Bioware's asses. Because "docs"'s asses belong to him."

U r wrong. trust me :thumbsup:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
U r wrong. trust me

Man after all the evidence and sound logical reasoning you've delivered, how can we not take your word for it?

Morgoth said:
I don't think Riccitello would just buy Bioware for $600 million and then fire the founders.
It's not that easy. There's definitely also a clause in the contract that gives Bio a high level degree of autonomy.

Actually, no it isn't. The old studio BioWare is now a part of the EA BioWare group, which contains BioWare Edmonton (what you think of as "BioWare"), BioWare Montreal, BioWare Mythic, and BioWare Austin. They're still all run from BioWare, partially by group managers/VPs Zeschuk and Muzyka.

Firing the founders is nothing. And afterthought that won't affect the brand name in any major way. If the Old Republic fails, that is certainly one of the things we could see happen.

Are there clauses in the contract? Yes. Are there clauses that say "you can't fire Zeschuk or Muzyka"? No, that would be goddamn ridiculous. And by freely merging Mythic into the BioWare EA has already shown exactly how much atonomy BioWare has regarding its brand name.

Ruprekt said:
Thinking about it... why don't bioware make a space sim with me2 style cutscenes?

Because that would be awesome.

MetalCraze

Arcane
BN you are forgetting that Bioware belonged to Riccitiello since 2005 and he did whatever he wanted with it. Including using it to launder some moneys

On November 3, 2005, Elevation invested $300 million to create an alliance between video game developers BioWare and Pandemic Studios, making it one of the biggest independent developers in the world.

"Independent" lol! So independent that just 2 years later Riccitiello sold it to...

On October 11, 2007, it was announced that EA had negotiated a deal with Elevation to pay $860 million (USD) in order to acquire both Bioware and Pandemic Studios
So basically Riccitiello paid himself for Bioware.

Oh and btw - where is Pandemic now?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
MetalCraze said:
So basically Riccitiello paid himself for Bioware.

Well, he paid Bono.

I dunno what the hell was up with the Elevation Partners deal either. Leaving a company, co-founding another to use it to purchase a product that you then sell to the first company, which you now rejoined? I guess they get away with it because EP is a private company? Still, that's about as smelly a deal as you can get.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm saving this topic for a few years from now when Bioware is gutted.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I'm saving this topic for a few years from now when Bioware is gutted."

Meh. People have been predicted BIO's death since 1995. Eventually, someone will be right. No biggie. *shrug*

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Morgoth said:

Morgoth said:
Bioware is still around because they are successful.

Get it?
Do YOU get it? EA can fire the docs whenever they feel like it. They can shut down Bioware whenever they feel like it. They haven't done it because their games are making $$$. There is no clause, no autonomy, no bullshit.

Cassidy

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Morgoth said:

Morgoth said:
Bioware is still around because they are successful.

Get it?
Do YOU get it? EA can fire the docs and replace them with cheaper workforce of young retards graduated at "game design" whenever they feel like it. They can shut down Bioware whenever they feel like it. They haven't done it because their games are making $$$. There is no clause, no autonomy, no bullshit.

Complemented

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.
:what:

I like where this is heading.

Rhalle

Magister
We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice. Good choices are represented by an olive branch, nasty by a Greek comedy mask, and badass by a red fist. This is an easy way to gauge what response your dialogue choices will produce.

SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO BALDUR'S GATE.

ironyuri

oneself said:
:what:

I like where this is heading.

Why don't they just replace the responses with the symbols themselves?

Like a dialogue wheel with arrows pointing to the mask, fist and olive branch respectively. That way they could cut out all the pointlessness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom