Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did Souls "no reload" spoiled other games for you?

Silva

Arcane
I'm playing Witcher 3 for the first time and I'm kinda liking it, but the possibility to simply reload a save anytime anywhere makes the experience feel too safe and non-exciting. Nowhere is the tension of feeling stranded with a bunch of souls that you don't want to lose.

See, I'm coming from other games which took inspiration in Souls and made something similar: Nioh, Automata, Senua Sacrifice (well, they say the darkness thing is fake, but as I wasn't sure it made me tense anyway), etc. All those games apply some penalty for dying, and makes you want to avoid it at all costs, thus resulting in some very tense moments. But with Witcher my dick is never that hard, you know?

Do you also feel like this, bros? Like coming back to games that lets you reload anytime feels like a bummer?

Hyperion

Arcane
I'm playing Witcher 3 for the first time and I'm kinda liking it, but the possibility to simply reload a save anytime anywhere makes the experience feel too safe and non-exciting. Nowhere is the tension of feeling stranded with a bunch of souls that you don't want to lose.

See, I'm coming from other games which took inspiration in Souls and made something similar: Nioh, Automata, Senua Sacrifice (well, they say the darkness thing is fake, but as I wasn't sure it made me tense anyway), etc. All those games apply some penalty for dying, and makes you want to avoid it at all costs, thus resulting in some very tense moments. But with Witcher my dick is never that hard, you know?

Do you also feel like this, bros? Like coming back to games that lets you reload anytime feels like a bummer?
There were so many other things I disliked about Witcher 3 that this thought never even crossed my mind. They're so different from one another it's hard to expect a game like TW3 to impose harsh death penalties. Even if it did...what would it be? XP Loss? There's a finite number of enemies and quests in the game, that's illogical unless you expect people who die to grind on those random, shitty encounters in the wild. That would make an already boring game even worse.

Last edited:

Deathsquid

Learned
I'm browsing RPG forums for the first time and I'm kinda liking it, but the possibility to run into someone lauding an overhyped series makes the experience feel too cringeworthy and non-exciting. Nowhere is the tension of feeling stranded with fellow RPG nerds that that aren't heavily weeaboo'd.

See, I'm coming from other forums which took inspiration in shitposting and made it something similar. All these forums would apply some penalty for spilling jRPG hype into non-jRPG sections, and it makes people want to avoid it at all costs, thus resulting in some very tense moments. But with RPG Codex my dick is never that hard, you know?

Do you also feel like this, bros? Like looking at a bunch of SOULS ARE GRATE HERE IS WHY threads in General Gaming whenever you reload feels like a bummer?

Ash

Arcane
I'm playing Witcher 3 for the first time and I'm kinda liking it, but the possibility to simply reload a save anytime anywhere makes the experience feel too safe and non-exciting. Nowhere is the tension of feeling stranded with a bunch of souls that you don't want to lose

How sheltered are you? Dark Souls? It's a console game, Japanese in particular whom value their challenge and competition to a high degree, and that's why it doesn't have quicksave/load. If you want more of what you experienced in Dark Souls, play...only almost ANY console game in history, preferably old Japanese ones which often featured a high degree of challenge, higher than that of Dark Souls.
PC = quicksave/load is standard. Console = restrictive saving is standard and it is usually understood that this restriction typically compliments the play experience, though it's trending more to the PC way of things these days because ain't nobody give a shit about gameplay anymore. I would care but console gaming is basically dead (in terms of quality) anyways. Dark Souls is just this odd exception.

And yes, restrictive saving is for prestigious individuals that understand that in the majority of cases it is superior game design. For a multitude of reasons that extends beyond just straight challenge. No I don't want to argue about it. Yes the majority of arguments you will make will come from a place of ignorance. No restrictive saving doesn't have to mean 1 slot per game, and not being able to save the game when you have to go out to work. Get out and seek a deeper understanding.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I doubt it. Souls is a gameplayfag game and Undertale is a storyfag/gimmickfag game...that may not be fair, I've not played it myself, I just know absolutely nobody that plays it for the gameplay, or compliments the gameplay, and the gameplay looks like an afterthought or is in service to the story or gimmicks, which is precisely why I haven't played it.

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane

I can actually see where you are coming from. Save/Reload anytime makes Raise Dead/Resurrection spells pointless in most RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Gerrard

can tell you first-hand that no, we are not.

- I detest Souls fans mostly because they think Soulsbourne games do things that games haven't done before, or haven't done before "at that level", like this thread's OP who thinks a "no reload" run of a Souls game is some sort of epiphany or gaming nirvana moment when Wizardry players were doing the same thing and doing it better in 1983 (just to give one quick example).

- I detest Undertale fans because most of them have never played EarthBound, or if they have played it they think Undertale is better... it is indisputable fact that EarthBound is the single greatest achievement mankind will ever produce and that Undertale is less than the sweat off its taint.

- I do not detest any Nier fans because at worse they'll prattle on about how amazing the story is in Nier games, or the music, or how much "heart" the series (and series-adjacent games) have.... however, I have never seen any Nier-fan say that Nier series is better than any other, nor have I ever seen any Nier-related thread where the player says he had a gaming moment of clarity because he did something as trivial as a "no reload run".

- Lastly, I loathe, detest and hate with a glittering gem of hatred in my heart all Witcher fans, especially Witcher 2 and 3 fans, and most especially Witcher fans who think it's a real RPG.

At best Witcher games are "action-RPGs", which is RPG-adjacent but not in the same realm; I've always maintained a very simple philosophy:

IF THE GAME HAS A DODGE-ROLL BUTTON... IT AINT A REAL RPG.

Hyperion

Arcane
Souls, and Nier fans didn't try to gift a copy of their game to the motherfucking Pope. Undertale fans are the worst by a country mile. Sanctimonious blowhards, the lot of them.

Your game had a nonviolent playthrough, yes, you're so revolutionary and different. Now go eat a bag of dicks.

mondblut

Arcane
Someone never heard of the fucking Rogue.
I'm not talking about permadeath exactly, but imposing penalties on death. Both Nioh and Automata are clearly inspired by DS ( not Rogue) in this respect.

Penalty on death, hmmm, let me think... like, PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE FUCKING RPG WITHOUT PERMADEATH EVER?

Of course, if your "RPGs" are all popamole action crap released within the last year, I could see where you are coming from. Losing stats upon resurrection ain't happening when instead of resurrection you just lie down for a few seconds then hop up and keep going.

Silva

Arcane
Someone never heard of the fucking Rogue.
I'm not talking about permadeath exactly, but imposing penalties on death. Both Nioh and Automata are clearly inspired by DS ( not Rogue) in this respect.

Penalty on death, hmmm, let me think... like, PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE FUCKING RPG WITHOUT PERMADEATH EVER?

Of course, if your "RPGs" are all popamole action crap released within the last year, I could see where you are coming from. Losing stats upon resurrection ain't happening when instead of resurrection you just lie down for a few seconds then hop up and keep going.
I don't know what RPGs you've been playing, but I've played Ultimas, Darklands, Gothics, all Black Isle and Bethesda ones, and every single one of them you're one reload away from any failed challenge or combat, which means THERE IS NO PENALTY WHATSOEVER FOR DYING.

What's next, saying Akhalabeth had more c&c than Fallout? Lol

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Your game had a nonviolent playthrough, yes, you're so revolutionary and different. Now go eat a bag of dicks.
I mean, that'd be a great point, except it's not even close to the reason it's a good game. It's a good game because of it's details and reactivity, like the fact that a number of the bosses actively avoid killing you no matter how badly you fight them because they legitimately don't want to kill you. Or the fact that the majority of things you can kill in the game actually live in the towns, and don't just disappear when killed, but have other characters comment on their absence. Or simple things like specific interactions between various items and characters, like dogs and a stick, or a slice of pie made by a man's estranged wife. Or the fact that there are special scenes for first befriending a character and then attacking them while they're vulnerable. If these things were in ultima or wizardry series you'd all be harping on constantly about how great they were.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The lack of reload not so much as it is pretty common but the fact that the combat isn't terrible did spoil quite a few games for me including witcher 3.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I mean, that'd be a great point, except it's not even close to the reason it's a good game. It's a good game because of it's details and reactivity, like the fact that a number of the bosses actively avoid killing you no matter how badly you fight them because they legitimately don't want to kill you. Or the fact that the majority of things you can kill in the game actually live in the towns, and don't just disappear when killed, but have other characters comment on their absence. Or simple things like specific interactions between various items and characters, like dogs and a stick, or a slice of pie made by a man's estranged wife. Or the fact that there are special scenes for first befriending a character and then attacking them while they're vulnerable. If these things were in ultima or wizardry series you'd all be harping on constantly about how great they were.

uh huh, a shitty game with basic faggy interactions that only people who want to fuck animals would like.

mondblut

Arcane
I don't know what RPGs you've been playing, but I've played Ultimas, Darklands, Gothics, all Black Isle and Bethesda ones, and every single one of them you're one reload away from any failed challenge or combat, which means THERE IS NO PENALTY WHATSOEVER FOR DYING.

Anything made in 80s, where you had to save in fucking taverns. Anything where after scraping an impossible victory it was more reasonable to resurrect half your party than to reload and try over. Anything where saving carelessly would mean getting stuck with no resources and little chance to break out.

Gothic, Black Isle and Bethesda, haha, good joke.

Ash

Arcane
Anything made in 80s, where you had to save in fucking taverns.

Better. Though even in the 80s unrestricted saving was already emerging as commonplace on PC.

Anything where saving carelessly would mean getting stuck with no resources and little chance to break out.

That's just called being a fucking retard and mindlessly spamming the save key though...even though we've all probably done it or come close to doing it at least once in our respective gaming histories. :lol:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I play on a computer. I've been reloading my saves since Dark Souls 1. When I'm playing a Souls game, I keep a shortcut to the save folder on my desktop, just in case the bonfires waste too much of my time. I did play Demon's Souls and the PS3 version of Dark Souls completely legit, but that's it.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
No. There's gaems like the classic survival horror ones that orbit around saving the progress constantly without having autosave. In fact, is some games this system can take you to a no return point. This happened me in Resident evil 3 where I got stuck in the battle against nemesis in the clock tower because I were wasting all the health during the playthrough and I didn't create other savefiles.

tl;dr

Not everything rotates around Souls dick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom