Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PS4, Vita) aka Shin Digimon Tensei

deuxhero

Arcane
Most of the translation issues are bad editing (though bakemon is indeed a mistake). It's entirely possible they'll fix it for the PC/Switch rerelease.

Vorark

Erudite
Ah, this is indeed the International version of Cyber Sleuth, which packs both CS + Hacker's Memory in one game! In the trailer, the CS1 protagonist has a Megidramon, which used to be a monster exclusive to Hacker's Memory in the western PS4 release.

megi.png

:incline:

Vorark

Erudite
Hopefully it's a decent port. Btw, there's no Denuvo or other third-party bullshit

- Edit: Found this post at the Wtw forums:

First impressions, of mostly technical nature after a few minutes...
Performance wise it runs fine (rendering with OpenGL) but not it's a particularly good port by any means.

The options are extremely basic. Very limited resolution Settings but goes up to 4K. Antialiasing is extremely crappy but being able to easily play at 4K thanks to the low system requirements helps to offset that a bit.

Neither models or textures look any more high-res so far, I'd expect everything to be on the level of the PS4 version. (The resource packs do use another format on the PC, so I couldn't check directly yet).

Button prompts are kept as 360 controller buttons no matter which button they are actually bound to. But at least you can rebind the buttons which I guess is laudable considering the circumstances. There's no mouse control to speak of (you can click to press the "A" button but it doesn't matter where the pointer is... kind of irritating).

Overall it's okay for what it is. it's not a worse case scenario poorly optimized ps-vita level compressed assets but it's also nowhere near a polished port.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
how is this? is the combat retarded like SMT IV?

It's similar but less stupid with those "You don't get even get turn because you the game decided so." Moments. I lost count of how many times i got game over on SMT4 because the game decided that was time do hit on every weakness , get 15 turns and insta killing me..
The game is has a good difficulty on hard.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how is this? is the combat retarded like SMT IV?

It's similar but less stupid with those "You don't get even get turn because you the game decided so." Moments. I lost count of how many times i got game over on SMT4 because the game decided that was time do hit on every weakness , get 15 turns and insta killing me..
The game is has a good difficulty on hard.
the smirk is definitely shit in SMT IV/Apocalypse. most boss fights pretty much are just finding their elemental weakness and bombard them with their elemental weaknesses. therefore your team ideally must have every element at least 2 of the same elements in a team so you can achieve full smirk bar per turn. MOST bosses also have elemental weaknesses, except for few side bosses and superbosses. most of early battle consist of "guess the elemental weakness!" sometimes you figure out in 1 turn and made the rest of the fight easy, or screw up got their immune or deflect element and you pretty much just have to retry until you get the weakness.

Vorark

Erudite
Be aware there are weird spikes when playing on Hard, namely the bosses. Having a digimon with the pierce ability (ignores DEF, I think) is recommended.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Pirce ability is great help. My Stingmon had one against that Bug Tentlace monster and defeated in 4-5 hits.

The game is pretty easy so far to me but it's mainly because i already have Ultimates in chapter 4. Grinding in this game is actually fun. I hope the next boss is harder and make me want use the buffs and de-buffs that i grinded for.

Vorark

Erudite
Grinding in this game is actually fun.

Yes! It's also a much better monster raising game than Pokemon. Granted, last one I played was White but it followed the same mechanics from the GB days.

Did you make you use of the PlatinumSukamon & tactician usbs to power level?

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Did you make you use of the PlatinumSukamon & tactician usbs to power level?

Nope , i didn't know was a thing until yesterday... I grinded for like 4-5 hours got 7 digimon to ultimate and get ABI (20/30) enough to their Megas without any USBs and P.Sukamon.

Yes! It's also a much better monster raising game than Pokemon. Granted, last one I played was White but it followed the same mechanics from the GB days.

Way better. The digimons level up much quicker, there's auto battle and there's way more evos. I played all game until BW2 , the only game that is as good as this one is BW2. The only thing that i found boring is get enough ABI... But i don't think gonna be necessary until much later to figth against the super bosses.

Vorark

Erudite
Ah, I also learnt about it after spending a couple of hours training my team too. It's a good method to keep in mind in case you want to easily unlock more evolutions or raise a new mon from the ground up.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
how is this?
I do enjoy it quite a bit, but bear in mind I'm a huge Digimon fan. Digimon Adventure was probably the first TV show I ever got seriously into, so there's a ridiculous amount of nostalgia involved; assembling MetalGreymon, Zudomon and AlturKabuterimon in a same party and shouting out the names of their signature attacks as they unleash hell on their foes is enough to make me happy. The only thing missing is a mod that swaps battle music with Brave Heart.

On the other hand, there are quite a bit of flaws to the game. The difficulty on Normal is non-existent, and Hard isn't that much harder so far (I'm at chapter 8); I think I had to reload maybe once, and even then I didn't have to adjust my party or employ any more complex strategies. Monster raising bits are great, but since the game hasn't forced me to min-max yet I'm just digivolving into whatever seems cool (moslty 'mons I liked from the show). The story bits have so far been pretty boring, and so were the dungeons (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise).

It also must be noted that the PC port isn't very good. It runs smoothly and I haven't experienced any crashes, but there's no real mouse support, and you'll be seeing controller popups for buttons even if you're using keyboard. I also wish there was a turbo mode like in some Final Fantasy ports or Trails of Cold Steel, but since that (unfortunately) isn't a standard feature of jRPGs yet, it's just a minor nitpick.

Also the female characters are almost uniformly hot, making it a great game to play side-by-side with The Outer Worlds.

Overall, if you're a fan of the franchise I would recommend it, but if you're not I think it's weaker than both pre-Black&White Pokemon games and SMT Nocturne as far as monster raising games are concerned.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Also the female characters are almost uniformly hot, making it a great game to play side-by-side with The Outer Worlds.

Don't forget the female digimons themselves. Lilithmon, Rosemon , Sakuyamon , Angewoman , LadyDeviMon , DianaMon , etc Dear gud :shredder:

I would recomend this game for everyone who likes JRPG that train monsters.. PC port is kinda bad , especialy controllers and lack of speed modes but other than that , it's really nice experience.. Also the female protagonist is cute.

lightbane

Arcane
Can you transfer your team from the first included game into the second? I assume not, but just to know.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
60h+ on the game and just did the Living doll, Dead Person quest..

The quest was pretty creep at the start but then the plot twist that was actually people trapped in the Eden with their ''waifus'' that can't never leave because their body was actually harvested is really really dark.. One of the best quests so far. I legit got some goosebumps reading Error: Nowhere to log out to...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom