Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline DiRT Rally 2.0 - Rally Sim by Codemasters

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
http://www.dirtrally2.com/
DiRT Rally 2.0 dares you to carve your way through a selection of iconic rally locations from across the globe, in the most powerful off-road vehicles ever made, knowing that the smallest mistake could end your stage.

You will need to rely on your instincts with the most immersive and truly focused off-road experience yet, including a new authentic handling model, tyre choice and surface deformation.

Power your rally car through real-life off-road environments in New Zealand, Argentina, Spain, Poland, Australia and the USA, with only your co-driver and instincts to guide you. Race on eight official circuits from the FIA World Rallycross championship, complete with licensed Supercars and support series.

Develop your team and cars around race strategies, and progress through a varied selection of Events and Championships in both a single player Career Campaign and a competitive online environment.

This is great. It appears to me to just be Dirt Rally with more stages, more cars and more realism, so I am really excited. Dirt Rally was both one of the best rally games and rally simulators ever. It seems like they are putting a bit more effort into rallycross, with way more cars than Dirt Rally looking at the screenshots. I like that they added a old Golf too, I like those.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Honestly I wish it was a new Grid that was revealed. Dirt has 3 games in a row now. Grid feels abandoned.

Nevertheless. 3 games per gen is a good standard to keep. I hope they flesh out the career mode this time as I am a singleplayer fag.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

I really hope they keep it as challenging as the original Dirt Rally.
Just tweak the tarmac physics a bit, create great stages and release.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Honestly I wish it was a new Grid that was revealed. Dirt has 3 games in a row now. Grid feels abandoned.
I really like rally so I'll prefer Dirt over Grid, but I do wish that there was another tarmac racing game by Codemasters.
I really hope they keep it as challenging as the original Dirt Rally.
Just tweak the tarmac physics a bit, create great stages and release.
I think that's the idea, just Dirt Rally but improved. These lines here are keeping me interested.
new authentic handling model, tyre choice and surface deformation.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You can. Wheel offers the best experience but I have no problem with playing on controller. Having analog triggers is a great benefit over keyboard.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dirt Rally is currently at its lowest price yet (smaller percentage than summer sale, but base price is lower), highly recommended:

Wheels of course feel better, but really, you can play any racing game with a gamepad and beat many wheel users, it's just a matter of practice. I'm not used to gamepads, but I learned to handle the game with an Xbone controller pretty quick. Primarily I find it difficult to get the steering just right with the thumbstick, while feathering the throttle when feeling for loss of grip through FFB on corner exits works fine, as well as sufficiently soft left foot breaking during corners to shift weight.

Since they haven't increased the number of locations, I hope they at least increase the length of unique stretches of road. In Dirt Rally, for every location, they've basically cut one WRC track in two (those are the long stages), then they've cut each of those in half (sprint stages), then you can drive them in both directions, for a total of 12 stages placed on some 20-32 km stretch of road per location.

A lot of sim racers seem to be freaking out about the lack of a VR-support announcement (no VR, no buy), especially since Dirt 4 regressed in that regard.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Dirt Rally also has a great OST.

I also hope that they will have longer or more stages, the selection in Dirt Rally was pretty meh in my opinion. I think they also announced somewhere that they intend to expand the game more with DLC locations, which I don't mind if that means continued support for the game.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
Regarding more locations in DLC, from the Codemasters blog:

the first two seasons of post-launch additional content, each with three locations (split between rally and rallycross)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

Answering some questions about the game.
Notable things,
-Tire wear will be added, along with tire selection
-VR may be added post launch.
-Definitely a simulator.
-Again, tracks will deform over time.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
In case someone picked up Dirt Rally in the sale or needs some inspiration:

Rally driving explained, on a FWD car:

How to do rally racing lines:

Guidelines for how to change a car setup:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The physics seem really improved. A lot of people complained about cars in Rally 1 being too grippy, and I definitely understand that with 4WD/AWD cars. RWD always felt the best to me in Rally 1.
That first video though, jeez. That guy cannot keep lines.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Once you've played a good rally game with a wheel it's really hard to go back, too. I'm sure you can play these games just fine with a controller since, after all, they were designed with them in mind in the first place, but it just doesn't feel right. You're missing out on half the fun.

That being said, I wish I had a decent wheel. The only one I own got outdated the moment I stopped using Windows 95, and getting a new one feels like too much of a commitment.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
That being said, I wish I had a decent wheel. The only one I own got outdated the moment I stopped using Windows 95, and getting a new one feels like too much of a commitment.
You can get used G27's on Ebay for a decent price.

untitled6mj32.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Buying stuff from Ebay in Europe is such a pain in the ass since shipping costs $20 or beyond with everything. It's absurd how shipping can cost nothing if I buy stuff from China 6000 kilometres away, but buying stuff from Europe a mere 2000 kilometres away will cost me $10-30.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
can you play these games without a wheel?
I played Dirt 1 for ~40 hours with a controller, it wasn't too bad. It was the first game where I didn't turn off vibration because it was actually useful when driving in first person mode. Don't even think about keyboard.

Then again I can imagine how much fun it would be to have a decent wheel/pedals/stick setup.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom