Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So this years Codex civil war is setting up to be between Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds? Might not be much of a conflict, DE looks like the sort of game made to really commit to the C&C crowd. Which may be a bit niche, but will get it a hardcore cult following around here and give it legs for a few years barring the game not being an unplayable buggy mess. Personally I like my tacticool combat too much to really want to get this day one, but if enough people hype it being good I'd grab it later down the line.

Cael

Arcane
So this years Codex civil war is setting up to be between Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds? Might not be much of a conflict, DE looks like the sort of game made to really commit to the C&C crowd. Which may be a bit niche, but will get it a hardcore cult following around here and give it legs for a few years barring the game not being an unplayable buggy mess. Personally I like my tacticool combat too much to really want to get this day one, but if enough people hype it being good I'd grab it later down the line.
Outer Worlds is Dragon Age? I don't think it would be much of a war if DA is involved, given where it is going...

luinthoron

Learned
Outer Worlds is Dragon Age? I don't think it would be much of a war if DA is involved, given where it is going...
Outer Worlds is Obsidian's new Mass Effect: Fallout.

Cael

Arcane
Outer Worlds is Obsidian's new Mass Effect: Fallout.
Ah. I don't see how that is even a fight, considering what they did with 3 and Andromeduh.

Space Nugget

What do you mean by “you guys”?

Or gals. Sorry, didn't mean to assume your gender. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

partydragon-400x400.jpg

Deleted Member 22431

Most likely, I will fight people for the privilege of writing a review of Disco Elysium. And even if I lose, I'll still write it. You've been warned!

Aw crap. I’ve already written mine, just waiting for them to release it so I can say I played it.
It's settled then. Pseudo-intelectual codexers will make the most abstruse reviews to the most pretentious cRPG in existence. The reviews will be tomes of intimidating turgid prose, nonsensical concepts, random references and what not. Normal people will avoid the game like the plague just from reading the first paragraph. Good.

luinthoron

Learned
How come we're still missing the latest blog post here? http://zaumstudio.com/2019/01/23/from-render-to-paintover/

From Render to Paintover
blog-pic-1-700x363.png

In this post I’ll show how we give more life to our world by mixing realtime objects with the hand-painted background.

Everything that is animated, is possible to pick up, or appears only in certain times will be added to the game in realtime instead of being painted into the background. That includes NPCs, vegetation, collectables, particles, etc.

blog-pic-4-700x473.png

Since our backgrounds use rendered heightmaps, we can use a flat plane that uses a special shader for sea. That gives us a nice coastline with some fading on the edges. But it still looks bland! It looks the same in both in shallow and deeper areas, so we’re going to add more detail on it.

blog-pic-3-700x385.png

Since there’s a tiny creek, we should separate the the sea from the creek. By adding and extra layer on top of the seaplane we get a warm gradient (nr 1), which color can be changed. Adding an orange tone there makes it look shallower, murky and more rusty from the surroundings. The new plane will also contain a flow map which fakes the effect of water flowing in desired direction.

By adding plants like weeds (nr 3), kelp (nr 4), or moss, we make the sea look more welcome and give it a feel of depth where taller plants like kelp fade into the abyss. Since the camera angle is always the same, the plants are hand-painted on a transparent background. I have made sets of plants with different density and colors. So every plant thats in the water is basically a transparent plane with some distortion effect to make it look like the surface is bending the photons of light. I also use the same shader to create colored ripples and flowy lines (nr 2).

blog-pic-5-700x700.png

For the final touch I will add swarms of fish circling (nr 5), creating ripples on the surface of water (nr 6), icebergs that wobbling in the waves, and seagulls flyings over the scene.

blog-pic-2.png

Same goes for the land. By adding different variations of reeds, bushes, trees and even garbage like empty bottles, tin cans or trashbags that rustle in the wind, we get a movement in the static background.

This method is applied to all over the Martinaise, but every area has been manually composed and thought through to distinguish it from one another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom