Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
Love how the game limits the skills you can aquire depending on your stats, i always hated how in FNV you can suck at charisma but can still spend your points on speech and become a good talker anyways, this approach is clearly superior.

ss_9125a718ee9ba85386ae5d4eb820f3266073fc97.1920x1080.jpg
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the stunning artwork on this user interface?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yea I gotta say the art is out of this world. Even if the game turns out shitty, the artwork is amazing. truly something novel imo, diggin it.

This will be a day1 purchase for me. Let's hope the story holds up and the skillchecks and dialogue is cool and gud

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also sorry totally forgot and accidentally lied by omission because I loved red dead redemption 2 and you play as a man in that rpg, but Arthur is really handsome and sweet and I loved shooting the rival gangs and brushing my horse.
But here you will play as me,some far more handsome than that old faggot in rdr. Also you will be able to polish bottles in this one.:smug:

Tigranes cooler than me,there is none!

Curratum

The question that is burning in the pits of my soul, is how much is this going to cost ? After seeing the latest trailer, I might even give up my wife in exchange for DE.

40 bucks. Not official, but looks too expensive to go down to 30 and too niche to dare go over 40.

Prime Junta

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the stunning artwork on this user interface?

Word.

This is what you get when you have actual, real, driven, rigorously trained, exhibited artists who also dig video games working on one. Not just your usual glorified graphic designers.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
imagine being a niche neckbeard type who either dont wanna use the standard operation systems like everybody else without complaining or just can't afford it or know how to pirate one.

Kek.

Also 40 bucks is dirt cheap for a game such as this. Wouldn't mind paying 80 or more

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love how the game limits the skills you can aquire depending on your stats, i always hated how in FNV you can suck at charisma but can still spend your points on speech and become a good talker anyways, this approach is clearly superior.
This is one thing I'm not crazy about, to be honest, as it guides you towards premade "character classes". If I want to make a hard drinking, composed, authoritative cop, it's much more expensive mechanically than making a forensics expert who is super into politics and an excellent singer. That rings lame to me. For a game so "outside the box" to limit character building like this is disappointing.

barghwata

Savant
This is one thing I'm not crazy about, to be honest, as it guides you towards premade "character classes". If I want to make a hard drinking, composed, authoritative cop, it's much more expensive mechanically than making a forensics expert who is super into politics and an excellent singer. That rings lame to me. For a game so "outside the box" to limit character building like this is disappointing.

The idea of playing a character with low charisma who can somehow still talk himself out of any situation and is a good fighter to top it off is an absolute plague to the concept of roleplaying in itself because it makes it pointless, what is the point of playing a charismatic character if an uncharismatic character can be just as charismatic anyways.
I can understand the importance of giving the player freedom in how they build their character in an Arpg or a hack n slash but not in a game that is first and formost about roleplaying.
Also it's much better then just premade classes since it allows you to experiment with any combination of how many points you put in each stat which is much more variety then a set number of classes.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The idea of playing a character with low charisma who can somehow still talk himself out of any situation and is a good fighter to top it off is an absolute plague to the concept of roleplaying in itself because it makes it pointless, what is the point of playing a charismatic character if an uncharismatic character can be just as charismatic anyways.
I can understand the importance of giving the player freedom in how they build their character in an Arpg or a hack n slash but not in a game that is first and formost about roleplaying.
Also it's much better then just premade classes since it allows you to experiment with any combination of how many points you put in each stat which is much more variety then a set number of classes.
You really missed the point and you don't know what roleplaying is.

barghwata

Savant
You really missed the point and you don't know what roleplaying is.

i genuinley can't see the problem with limiting how much the player can advance in a skill depending on the stat that governs said skill, it just makes sense. Do you think a game that allows you to become really good with guns even though you have terrible perception is by any means a good roleplaying game? are you serious?

Egosphere

Arcane

Word.

This is what you get when you have actual, real, driven, rigorously trained, exhibited artists who also dig video games working on one. Not just your usual glorified graphic designers.

Disagree. It's not the artists, but the people setting the art direction that are to blame for games looking bland. There is no shortage of 'actual, real, driven, rigorously trained' artists in the industry.

Zombra

Patron
It just makes sense.
MUH REALISM.

I'm going to sketch three characters for you. Read them without looking at the skill list.

1) Bodybuilder. Paranoid. Sex addict. Expert pharmacologist. Danger sense. No one takes him seriously.

2) Smooth liar. Terrible shot. Reads people well. Persuasive. High school dropout. Can throw his lighter in the air and catch it in his pocket.

3) Educated. Good team player. Has a "feel" for the city. Thoughtful. Slow-moving. Speaks quietly and strains to be heard.

According to you, only one of these characters is "good roleplaying". The other two "make no sense" and take massive penalties. Can you guess which is which?

Congratulations! If you guessed (1) the pharmacologist bodybuilder, you are right! That is the only concept that makes sense. (2) The smooth talking liar and (3) the quiet team player both make no sense and cannot be played in Disco Elysium without a massive point cost to basic attributes.

Cromwell

Arcane
i genuinley can't see the problem with limiting how much the player can advance in a skill depending on the stat that governs said skill,

because it means being a dummy just because you are strong. I of course agree that a stat like charisma should be bound to skills like talking and a stat like strength should be bound to skills like kicking somebody to death but it usually limits you more in a game than it would in life which he wants to roleplay.

Terenty

Liturgist
NPCs looking unique in appearance and with fitting portraits remind me of Planescape Torment. Good stuff

barghwata

Savant
because it means being a dummy just because you are strong.

Yes i agree, I did not say you can't be stong and intelligent at the same time, that was not my point at all, my point is if your character has really weak strength but can still be somehow really good in hand to hand combat, something is really wrong with the rpg mechanics that allowed that to happen.

Egosphere

Arcane
Prime Junta

I see that you've disagreed with me, so let me provide an example:

Here's Rostov's work from his artstation. There's a lot, so I'll just post one image I think that is most representative of DE's art style:

aleksander-rostov-cannonboy.jpg
Looking along my subscriptions, here's Serhii Kasianchuk, who is neither an art director, nor even a prominent artist in the industry, as far as I'm aware
serhii-kasianchuk-01.jpg
Here's Peter Polach (mild nsfw):
peter-polach-03-w.jpg
Here's Alexandre Chaudret, who is a director himself:
alexandre-chaudret-dchildren-12-viewer.jpg
Borislav Mitkov, a freelancer:
borislav-mitkov-hitmanps.jpg
Sergey Kolesov, who did some concept stuff for the Dishonored series, but (I think) was just a freelancer
sergey-kolesov-train.jpg
Scott Gadile, freelancer
scott-gadille-astro.jpg
Jarek Kubicki, freelancer
jarek-kubicki-60675.jpg
Kayurova, freelancer:
n-kayurova-31.jpg

Give any of these people free reign, and they'll bang out a user interface that will be every bit as splendid as the one in DE.
Long story short: DE looks good because artists set the direction, not because they had qualities that were light years ahead of everyone else

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom