Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Severian Silk

No combat? Is this really an RPG?

Also, the title is fine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Game has a bad name, but otherwise looks pretty good. The last Estonian game I played (Seiklus) turned out pretty good.

Because POE invented hanging people from a tree? Bro, its an old KKK tradition.

Half of human history would like a word with you. Under that tree over there...

According to scientific research, the human brain adjust the images that we see by filling in blanks with stuff from our own past memories, experiences, and biases. So the fact that most of you read that as Furries and Tyranny as Tranny, well... :updatedmytxt:

:martini: Just kidding, I read it as Furries too.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No combat:incline:
I do hope the rest of the writing is not so silly/strange like those in screenshot though.

Cadmus

Arcane
This looks like a joke promo, the screens remind me of the fake isometric Fallout 3 images floating around the net. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a joke promo and don't understand why you're taking it seriously.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Some occasional rare combat encounters would spice up the gameplay quite a bit i think.

Hey, designer here.

The way I've always seen it, combat in PS:T was superfluous, but still necessary. What it did was spice up the reward system -- getting plus one Str or XP from some dialogue situation was rewarding, because you thought you could use them to bludgeon some mook to death. This in turn supercharged the dialogues (which were 90% of the game's charm) with that basic acquisition of power thing that makes games go down easier than literature.

So yes, I agree, this type of game benefits from the occasional combat showdown and we have them. But they take place in dialogue. They're not RtWP or classic turn based. I guess you could call them heavily scripted turn based. They have animations and the outcomes are very prose heavy. But you can have armour and you can shoot and you can miss and so on. YOu can also die. The screenshot in the tent is a good indication of how a violent situation can start in the game. There are very few of these moments, however. To have said "cinematic literature driven mega combat system" in the promo would have been disingenuous.

This looks like a joke promo, the screens remind me of the fake isometric Fallout 3 images floating around the net. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a joke promo and don't understand why you're taking it seriously.

It's not. We just don't have a PR team, we have two monkeys who haven't slept since January 2015 because they're writing an RPG. They're also forced to write "copy" in their spare time, because capitalism.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ok, then I gotta say it looks very interesting.
EDIT: lol the first post!

WE GOT ANOTHER! ITS THEM POE APOLOGISTS AGAIN! EVACUATE THREAD!

Lambach

Arcane
If you want to dance around with words then sure, No Truce is not strictly speaking an RPG since there's no combat and grind but I'd very much consider it a role-playing game where you have stats that affect your dialogue and the narrative gets combined according to player choice.
No traditional combat mechanics though, you're not a psychopath running around gunning down people. You resolve conflicts through dialogue and sometimes a gun is a useful tool for a genteel conversation.

Dropped. Fuck choose-your-own-adventure games.

:keepmymoney:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well shit is pretty obvious now, OP. You have to redesign your game and add an extra R to the title.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Some occasional rare combat encounters would spice up the gameplay quite a bit i think.

Hey, designer here.

The way I've always seen it, combat in PS:T was superfluous, but still necessary. What it did was spice up the reward system -- getting plus one Str or XP from some dialogue situation was rewarding, because you thought you could use them to bludgeon some mook to death. This in turn supercharged the dialogues (which were 90% of the game's charm) with that basic acquisition of power thing that makes games go down easier than literature.

So yes, I agree, this type of game benefits from the occasional combat showdown and we have them. But they take place in dialogue. They're not RtWP or classic turn based. I guess you could call them heavily scripted turn based. They have animations and the outcomes are very prose heavy. But you can have armour and you can shoot and you can miss and so on. YOu can also die. The screenshot in the tent is a good indication of how a violent situation can start in the game. There are very few of these moments, however. To have said "cinematic literature driven mega combat system" in the promo would have been disingenuous.

It's not. We just don't have a PR team, we have two monkeys who haven't slept since January 2015 because they're writing an RPG. They're also forced to write "copy" in their spare time, because capitalism.

Sounds interesting, but you should consider rephrasing that description on your homepage then because it sounds a bit like combat is just an afterthought on the very peripher of your game. Rare combat encounters also need thoughtful design and more so it must be tied to basic but thoughtful progression and itemisation.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/2016/06/09/frequently-asked-questions/

After our press release, I’m hearing questions – and I want to answer them.

1) IS THIS A JOKE?
No. This is a real game. We’re making it.

2) THOSE SCREENSHOTS ARE NOT REAL.
It’s a pretty game, yes. We are proud of how it looks. The shots have not been “treated”, however, we’ll share a video in due time.

3) SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING ON KICKSTARTER?
As of now, there is no plan to go on Kickstarter. It’ll be out somewhere around the end of 2016. Delays are delays, if they happen they happen. We won’t beat ourselves up about it.

4) WHAT ABOUT COMBAT? DOES IT HAVE COMBAT?
NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has violent confrontations at set-piece moments. These are handled within the dialogue system. You can call it heavily scripted turn based combat, if you want to.

There is no real time with pause or traditional turn based combat in the game. We still have hit rolls. We have armour, lives, weapons etc. And you can die. But the action sequences are literature heavy showdowns. You can also lose these showdowns (given that you didn’t die) and the game registers it. You’re free to limp out of there and try a different approach.

5) IT’S A CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE THEN!
It’s a role playing game. We have 24 skills under 4 stats. You can develop minute character traits and carry them from conversation to conversation. There is a large degree of freedom in the order you approach the world.

In the parts of the game that are finished, we really believe we have achieved an incredible degree of cause and effect.

6) HOW LONG IS IT?
The degree of cause and effect we are aiming means NO TRUCE is in many ways, the opposite of an “epic” RPG. We thought a compact and very personal story would be the best way to introduce ourselves.

The area you can traverse is a short stretch of urban shoreline, a piece of industrial harbour, a litte shacktown, the interior landscape of your alcohol-mangled psyche… and bits I’d rather not spoil now.

It is hard to estimate playtime, but if you were to hold a gun to my head, I’d say… three or four days.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Every time a good-looking indie project like this appears, I shed a tear for all the money I gave InXile to make BROWN BLURRY CORRIDORS - THE DESIGN-BY-CHECKLIST RPG.

Anyway game looks great and going no-combat is a very bold and interesting idea.

Prime Junta

This is a breath of fresh air.

Nothing wrong with tradfantasy, post-apoc, or cyberpunk, but I'm really chuffed to see someone doing something different for a change. Godspeed Fortress Occident, I'm looking forward to whatever craziness you'll come up with.

tet666

Augur
Fantastic setting,writing and art style it all sounds great im really digging this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think this might be a dark horse of 2016 (or 2017 if it gets delayed). At least for storyfags.

Copper Dreams will be best mechanics based RPG of 2017.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom