Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Disco Elysium - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG (formerly No Truce With The Furies)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    I don't think any of us have experienced incline in this pure a form. A lot of people will come in, confident. Three days later they will be found on a couch with bits of their brain everywhere.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Well, that was one of the hardest translations in my life :) but here we go: http://forums.goha.ru/showthread.php?t=1197446

Thank you again, guys. Awesome answers, tons of new details on your game and role-playing system, and I sincerely hope that this will make even more people fall in love with your future masteriece. Cheers!

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Good works of art have haters as well as fans. See: Pillars of Eternity.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Well, looks like they already have one :)

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    I'm not exactly sure how the Cabinet system would work and if it's a good idea to exist in the first place though it is very interesting. This has always been a very big problem for me in RPG's either with 1. Your character coming to a conclusion that you didn't because you aren't really paying attention or some other variation of this or 2. You knowing something or coming to a conclusion before your character is allowed to express it. One breaking immersion and the other hurting your ability to progress and experience the game with neither having any crystal clear solution.

Now this system seems to lean towards the latter- how automated is the system? How much control do you have over the thoughts and obsessions? If you don't have much control, then you could clearly get slotted into a role that won't let you solve a mystery despite your better judgement. And if you do have a lot of control, then isn't it more like a journal system (which is more focused on your knowledge of the gameworld instead of being a mechanic in and of itself)?

I suppose if it's a system that picks up on what you consistently observe/learn and what possible conclusions you could draw from that and that affecting the options of how your character can interact would be interesting but I feel like there needs to be some form of moderation for it since it's supposed to run parallel specifically with your thought process. Like, you rating multiple thoughts/theories in your head with how important they are to you or something (with obsessions being some kind of RNG exception). I dunno', something that tries to deduce what any rando player is thinking at all times with a relatively restricted system seems like a recipe for sloppiness to me and it could clearly lead to a lot of autonomy being taken away from the player when trying to develop their character's personality.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The "solution" is to understand the difference between a player and a character. Do you also get confused when you can't physically punch the screen to kill the dragon?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Nah, lol. There's always going to be some sort of divide but there are times when those things become frustrating. It's of course, largely understandable. I think this is a lot more of an important "potential issue" for this this game since it's steadfastly focused on a central mystery and character-building.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Short recap from what I've gathered -- those in the know please correct me if I'm wrong:

It works like an inventory. You find thoughts by having conversations (both internal dialogues, with your skills, and with other people) and by interacting with things, otherwise known as Doing Stuff. You can reject the thoughts at this point. You can equip these thoughts, which gives mechanical bonuses and changes the way people relate to you. And you can -- over time -- process them into higher-level, more concentrated forms of themselves. I.e. you have a quite a lot of control over the process: what thoughts are available depend on where you put your skill points, what you did before, what thoughts you currently have equipped, and whether you accepted the thoughts when they originally came up or not.

However it is a branching path of sorts. You can reverse course but it takes time -- you won't be able to unequip Fascist and equip Liberal off the bat, but if you've been evolving toward Fascist you can start rejecting Fascist thoughts and accepting, equipping, and processing Liberal ones and move yourself more in that direction.

Show Spoiler
    Or, naturally, you could do the honourable thing and cultivate Communist thoughts from the start, avoiding all that back-and-forth.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Ah, thank you. That's very interesting. I thought it'd be more involved in how you perceive evidence instead of your political leanings- which would have been a lot more interesting to me tbh.

Hopefully there will be some form of C&C involving switching and reversing thoughts (especially political ones). That'd really tie this kind of system together completely for me.

^ Top  
  10. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Prime Junta, hello, comrade. I have a question regarding METRIC that - I hope - you can answer for me. I'm translating this article about METRIC right here and stumbled upon these sentenses:

1 In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute.

2 The maximum amount you can spend on a Skill is equal to it’s Attribute. (Natural aptitude equals the learning cap).

Now, am I right that having Intellect of 3 means I start with Encyclopedia skill of 3 and can further pump it by 3? So, starting attribute of 3 means that all associated skills can be raised to 6?

^ Top  
  11. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    That's how I read it too.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the system though, so perhaps Marat Sar can confirm?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    And the Finnish expression for Estonians is "Russian."

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Thanks PJ!

Every detective is a person and has their own convictions - these color the way they perceive a situation, an interviewee, or a whole case.

Morning, guys.

Here´s METRIC in a nutshell: The level of your stat, say INTELLECT, will be the cap for your skills. If you have an INT of 3, you can then assign up to three points in Visual Calculus or Conceptualization or another INTELLECT skill. You can also have no points in any given skill. I guess that would be the equivalent of "untrained" or something of the like. So if you have zero points in Vis-Calc - you won´t be able to use that skill. Oops, no. The rolls are STAT + SKILL, so you can still use the skill, but the more difficult ones will be beyond you.

If you want to be a super duper brainiac type character - you better max out your INT up to 6 so you can put so many points in the INT skills either when you´re creating the character (you´re going to miss out on those other skills) or as you level up (like a normal person).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Not where I'm from. Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard any regularly-used expressions for Estonians, which is a little strange when you think about it.

^ Top  
  15. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    That's good to hear, at least. I just had the idea that the order in which you discovered evidence would lead you to different conclusions and follow divergent trains of thought- is there anything like that?

^ Top  
  16. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Now - if you wish to know more about good old me - you can do so in our Devblog or head off to 3DTotal.

I´m posting the picturesque bits that are relevant to the topic at hand here:

[​IMG]
    I think you´ve seen this necky lady before.

[​IMG]
    But you might have missed these ladies. Rostov does most of the character concepting, but I do one or two every now and then.

[​IMG]
    This is what I usually do.

Yeah sure? It´s tough to tell you without examples and examples would be spoilery. Essentially - if you come to wrong conclusions - things go wrong with the case. Is that a bad thing? Up to you as the player.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Interesting. I'll be happy to see whatever you release when it comes.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Now I'm a bit more confused :D

So, the article I linked is a bit outdated?

Because I understood the statement

"In the beginning the amount of points you have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

as: I start a game with Intellect of 6 (parent attribute) and have 6 points in Visual Calculus because of that. Should it instead be

"In the beginning the MAXIMUM amount of points you COULD have in a Skill is equal to it’s parent Attribute."

?

If that's so, then I got it :)

Now, with a starting Physique of 4 I coud put 2 points in Half Light and 2 points in other of 5 Physique-related skills, right?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    My bad, I gave you wrong info.

:shitposting:

The rolls are affected by STAT + SKILL. So you can use the skill, and even succeed with high enough INT but the more difficult rolls will be highly unlikely.

I´ll run it again from the beginning:
    If you have an INT of 3, you have the skill cap at 3 - BUT - it is as if you have a natural ability (of 3 points) in the skill. You can add up to three points to that skill (effectively giving you a bonus of 3+3=6 for a roll).

With a Physique of 4 you could put 4 points into Half Light and 4 points into Shivers - if you had so many points.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Okay, now it's clearer to me :) Do you already know the starting amount of attribute points? Which we can use during the character creation.

Regarding 4 points of Physique - I was asking about the character creation too, mate :) So at the start of the game with a Physique of 4 I can invest only 4 points in any Physique-related skills, right? I get it that I can pump any of these skills to 4 later if I want, but I'm asking about the starting scenario at the moment.

^ Top  
  21. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    cool, it is always bother me in falloug new vegas especially, you can have 1 int point but have 100 points in science or whatever and still pass skillcheck and talk like a professor in one dialogue and dumb doofus in other

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    Not yet.

I´m also talking about character creation - but about the METRIC in general, not necessarily about No Truce. If at the start of a game you assign 4 points to FYS (Fysique) - you could put up to 4 points in each skill - if you had the points for it. What I mean by that is that if you didn´t put any points into INT, PSY or MOT skills - you could boost up all your FYS skills. How this will play out in the release build of the game is still in review so don´t quote me on this.

^ Top  
  23. Lexxx20 Learned

Lexxx20
    Okay, now I finally got it all :) Thank you for clarification!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    I don't think I have.

^ Top  
  25. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Do we have a release date?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)