Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iznaliu

Arbiter
rkoz53os9ahz.jpg

I wonder if I can get those cowprint beanbags anywhere?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drop by our offices. I'll personally make sure it will be a night day to remember ;)
I'm probably one of the few who could without spending a fortune. Eesti!
Going from one country where I don't understand anyone to another - what could possibly go wrong?

Send me your account name on Chaturbate. I'll check out if it would be worth my time.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Drop by our offices. I'll personally make sure it will be a night day to remember ;)
I'm probably one of the few who could without spending a fortune. Eesti!
Going from one country where I don't understand anyone to another - what could possibly go wrong?

Send me your account name on Chaturbate. I'll check out if it would be worth my time.
Whoa whoa hold your horses! You get me something off my amazon wishlist and you might get my private snapchat. Then we're talkin'

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Prime Junta

Whoa whoa hold your horses! You get me something off my amazon wishlist and you might get my private snapchat. Then we're talkin'
Nice list. You're into some nasty shit. I think I'll get you this one.
7860.jpg

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
All kinds of lovemaking propositions aside - are NONE of you nerds going to Gamescom? Why did we bother going in the first place??!

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Iznaliu, you're such a party pooper.

And yes - there are people there. So many in fact that it is a little insane. Our guys from PAX East reported that it was huuuge, but compared to this it was tiny.

The journos played it last weekend and here´s a tidbit in German: Gameplane.de
Here's a Google Translate mediated by N4G if you're not on first name basis with German: Google Translate

In another situation, we have the opportunity to send a bartender to a sex jail if he dared to demand money for alcohol and our room.

I mean... The translation is a fun read if nothing else. The translation bots have still some evolving to do.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Kasparov, I was thinking about your thought cabinets mechanics, but I’m not following your updates closely, so I apologize in advance if this was already mentioned. What if some of your character’s ideas about past actions or game events begin to pop up later on? For instance, you did some question and opted for x, but later on you have an insight that suggests a different option you didn’t consider before. This would allow the player to make an additional quest related to a previous quest provided that you didn’t killed the person involved, etc. It seems that the passage of time would be an interesting component of the thought cabinet mechanics. How about insights in dreams? That would be another idea that is thought cabinet-like.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov, I was thinking about your thought cabinets mechanics, but I’m not following your updates closely, so I apologize in advance if this was already mentioned. What if some of your character’s ideas about past actions or game events begin to pop up later on? For instance, you did some question and opted for x, but later on you have an insight that suggests a different option you didn’t consider before. This would allow the player to make an additional quest related to a previous quest provided that you didn’t killed the person involved, etc. It seems that the passage of time would be an interesting component of the thought cabinet mechanics. How about insights in dreams? That would be another idea that is thought cabinet-like.
Basically this is up to the writers how they want to use (past) thoughts. The "inventory for thoughts" is a good description, because you can literally have quite a collection if you play a certain way - and certain content will be gated behind these thoughts.

Some failed white checks you can go back to after you've gathered more information or done something that will allow you to pass it a second time. It is not always tied in with Thought Cabinet. All of these interactions are handcrafted so whether you can go back and try it again is very much dependent on a specific situation, its complexity and most importantly - its narrative potential. In a (really way back) previous blog post we talked about afterthoughts - if you get one you can go back to the previous interaction and perhaps say "I was wrong, I didn't mean that" or if you realize that someone's pulled your leg you might be able to call them up on that - even later.

Passage of time is literally tied into how the thoughts change over time. By actively thinking about them - equipping/using them - the thoughts begin to mature. As time goes by they might give you surprising results. And dreams... you'll hear more about those some time in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom