Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
PCGamer said:
Tom Senior: Disco Elysium feels more like interactive fiction than an RPG to me.
:love:More people are realizing that Disco Elysium is better described as interactive fiction, choose-your-own-adventure, or digital gamebook than as an RPG.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So did anyone actually buy the artbook/soundtrack and can confirm the resolution of the images there? Apparently they are separately available as "4K wallpapers".

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Disco Elysium raise our expectations of the RPGs of 2020?

PC Gamer
jCUNP5O.gif

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Blah, blah, blah we need more games like Disco but probably not so radical. Am I right?
On the contrary, most of them are basically saying that thinking is hard and that they prefer dumb power fantasies. I mean:

It was rather exhausting, really, and definitely not something I want from every RPG going forward—I'm very happy with games like The Outer Worlds because they're fun and breezy and don't hammer your brain into mush every couple of minutes.

A cool quote about Disco is how the devs wanted it to be hard for players to play their character, to struggle and fail when trying to act cool, do something smart or whatever. These people clearly don't want that, they want to be Geralt, kill monsters with ease, always sound cool and feel smart by following bring footsteps with detective vision...

Prime Junta

These people clearly don't want that, they want to be Geralt, kill monsters with ease, always sound cool and feel smart by following bring footsteps with detective vision...

Wasn't W3 GOTY here?

Codex is no exception. "Fuck you, I just want an escapist fantasy where I slay monsters, bang babes, and get filthy rich and powerful" is a pretty common sentiment whenever somebody brings up something that even aims a little higher.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Codex is no exception. "Fuck you, I just want an escapist fantasy where I slay monsters, bang babes, and get filthy rich and powerful" is a pretty common sentiment whenever somebody brings up something that even aims a little higher.
Well, no escapist fantasy could compare with how proud I felt every time when HDB (and I) could do at least something right.

Prime Junta

Well, no escapist fantasy in a while could compare with how proud I felt every time when HDB (and me) could do at least something right.

Same.

Thing with Disco is that kind of paradoxically since it has almost no combat, it feels more dangerous and fraught than any power fantasy. Power fantasies are only pretend-dangerous, you know you have script immunity and the reload button so dying doesn't count and there's rarely any other way to fail than that.

Disco OTOH doesn't give you script immunity and makes you feel it. You can and do fuck up and feel terrible about it, in fact in some places there is no way to not fuck up. That makes those breakthroughs and moments of success stand out, it feels like you earned them, they weren't just served to you by the designers.

(The fact that this is to a significant extent an illusion, a sleight of hand, is a different matter. The feeling is there though, and is one of the reasons it affected me so powerfully.)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 3 aimed low and hit the target.
Disco aimed high and hit the princess.

Said a guy whose highest ambition is slaying giants in Knights of the Chalice ;)

Go back to your power fantasies*, lad.

* I have nothing against the very concept of power fantasies. I also indulge in them. But one should not limit oneself to consuming pulp only. Sometimes it's good to try something different, more ambitious and thought-provoking.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
You can and do fuck up and feel terrible about it, in fact in some places there is no way to not fuck up.

Evrart's chair is very memorable in this department. Healing items won't let you die there but only a high Pain Threshold will help to save a tiniest part of your dignity.

Never been so hilariously humiliated in video game and I really hope that I won't need to relive this experience on some job interview IRL, ever.

Harthwain

Magister
Evrart's chair is very memorable in this department. Healing items won't let you die there but only a high Pain Threshold will help to save a tiniest part of your dignity.
Composure can also help.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can and do fuck up and feel terrible about it, in fact in some places there is no way to not fuck up.

Never been so hilariously humiliated in video game and I really hope that I won't need to relive this experience on some job interview IRL, ever.

I died the first time I used that chair.
Second time around, instead of stacking up on healing items, I tried to be clever and tell Evrart I'd stand.
But he insisted I sit down.
I had no choice but to use the chair.
Evrart you fucker.

Tigranes

Arcane

Second time around, instead of stacking up on healing items, I tried to be clever and tell Evrart I'd stand.
Evrart you fucker.

Fighting Evrart is like killing wolves in Arcanum

And your name is Chris

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Evrart you fucker.
My high pysche Superstar cop had enough volition to beat Evrart at his own game and avoid the chair. +M

ZGw6d5b.jpg

Daidre

Arcane
Composure can also help.
My high pysche Superstar cop had enough volition to beat Evrart at his own game and avoid the chair. +M

Nothing but a proofs that character build in DE does affect gaming experience.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I read it. A bit typical puffed up article about the "humble origins" and "underdog success" but between the cliches there is interesting stuff. The moral for me is that you get good at your craft frist, then you go developing interactive products using it - whether writng, art or something else.

I didn't know about Rostov being an expert on videogame history, and I don't get it why is Estonia "loser-ville" now?

Prime Junta

I don't get it why is Estonia "loser-ville" now?

It's loser-ville and winner-ville. Estonia is one of the most right-wing countries in Europe, economically and otherwise. If you're among the winners, you get to enjoy low tax rates, relatively low prices, and first-world living standards. If you're not, you're SOL.

Robert & co were SOL for a long time. Along with a lot of others.

The article is so full of self-deprecation and references to drinking...it's no wonder that Mr. Du Bois feels so realistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom