Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why are you so obsessed with people not liking this great game? Why do you insist arguing that it's an RPG with those that say it's not? Why don't you take a break from the codex for a week or two (or forever) and enjoy the game you like instead of being forever butthurt that there are people who don't like what you do?

You don't like something, yet you keep talking about at every opportunity, in a place where the most of the fans are.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Kinda like Humanity has risen! visiting a gay bar every day, ranting about the evils of homosexuality to the guys queuing up for the glory hole.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

You don't like something, yet you keep talking about at every opportunity, in a place where the most of the fans are.

Schematic diagram of RPG Codex if everyone stopped doing that:

source.gif

Harthwain

Magister
You really should consider replayin' this game. This time, for a change, with your eyes open. It's obvious where and when thoughts from the cabinet give you new dialogue and gameplay options (spoiler: they do).
This may be true for some thoughts, but I picked Lonesome Long Way Home and I had no idea what it did for me, aside from tweaking the stats a bit (and a short dialogue with myself about where my home is). And I wasn't really fan of the game randomly messing up my stats.

As an idea it's worth keeping, but there is certainly room to make some changes to the Cabinet as a mechanic.

From the video it felt like he plans on expanding this dialogue based combat instead of adding separate combat mechanics.
Why mess with perfection?

Why are you so obsessed with other people liking shit you don't?
no-fun-allowed-59573731.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Latro ,mate,when did you become such a massive loser? Don't like the game and have no intention of playing it,fine fair enough. But why do you keep on posting here when you haven't even played the game and have no intention of doing it?! Why are you so obsessed with other people liking shit you don't? Maybe you should take a break from the codex for a week or two,you don't want to end up like jenkem or toro,running around screeching delusional shit and annoying people for no reason.

Well, I could ask the same of the DE fanbots.
Why are you so obsessed with people not liking this pile of garbage? Why do you insist arguing that it's an RPG with those that say it's not?
Why don't you take a break from the codex for a week or two (or forever) and enjoy the game you like instead of being forever butthurt that there are people who don't like what you do?

Oh wait, because it's the codex, and everything you like is shit and everything I like is the best. So fuck you, commie faggot, that's why.
I am struggling to think of a moment in the past 3 years where you had put up an actually interesting post....and nope,it is all retarded edgy atheistic garbage.
Hurpy durpy muh you people why do you discuss the game in its thread in a rpg forum,muh you are retarded hurrr! Screeeee you are muh all retarded for liking what i don't screeeee!

Saduj

Arcane
Well, I could ask the same of the DE fanbots.

Most of the “pro” arguments over the last few dozen pages are in response to claims that are demonstrably untrue. That isn’t an example of of obsessing over someone else’s opinion because claiming that the game contains content that it doesn’t is not an opinion.

Prime Junta

So... is it good? 168 pages, it must be at least intriguing.

Also, what stats are usueless here? What is the Swimming of Disco Elysium?

Every stat has at least one skill that's really common and at least one that pops up infrequently. The ones that pop up infrequently tend to have much bigger impact though (Shivers for example).

IMO Motorics is the least interesting of the stats. It is probably the most efficient however -- it'll let you solve some problems in a really cool way or just shortcut past things. (You do need a few pips in Perception however, otherwise you'll just walk obliviously past a whole bunch of stuff.)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It is like a visual novel with some light rpg things in it,it is pretty interesting thing for story fags like me. But not a game for mechanofags and combatfags. For stats,well it doesn't really matter,the game is pretty easy and gives you a different experience in a way. I found that perception,encyclopedia and logic useful.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Yes.

It depends, I don't think anyone has gone full autist and counted the skill/stat checks (hello PoE). In general, everything seems to be frequently used. Some of it is mostly flavour, some can be substituted by player's own intelligence.

The interesting but less used idea is that high stats can actually be harmful. If you have a really strong authority, your authority takes control. Etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:deathclaw:
What shilling? You are coming in the thread about the game,where people that like it are discussing it. And you go on sperging how the game is shit and people are shills,you are acting like an insane faggot lol. Ahhh and how do you know that the writing is poor when you haven't even played the game???

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
From the video it felt like he plans on expanding this dialogue based combat instead of adding separate combat mechanics.
IMO that sounds good. But that's just me, I'm kinda fed-up with stat-based combat so instead trying to make situations of action feel significant via other means is a welcome thing to me. It also makes the whole situation with the shitshow all the more interesting in that it completely flips around the genre conventions on dialoguing bosses. Not even a SUPERSTAR cop can stop what's coming with just words, but that doesn't mean words can't be weaponized. Situations like that seem a lot more interesting to me to develop and expand upon. At least for one thing it doesn't lead to that whole better-put-this-under-the-rug thing about the option to spare SOME people while murderhoboing hundreds like you usually do in the genre.

Combat's usually the least interesting part about RPGs to me (to the point I list the ability to completely trivialize almost all of the combat in Fallout 2 by getting APA early as a major positive for the game), I think Disco Elysium hits the mark running by not fussing about combat being an essential but actually a non-essential feature for a quality RPG.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Kasparov For the sequel, I suggest a Kickstarter goal, people send you their mother for a date, depending on mum's performance you may or may not implement a single combat encounter. win/win for both sides.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom