Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something I found hilarious about the Armour (late game spoilers):

I found it hilarious that the one piece of armour you can't get (the leggings) is the one piece your character would have needed to prevent getting wounded in the showdown with the mercs. Despite walking around with the rest of your body protected, it never actually becomes relevant.

Well played devs.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
For anyone wondering: you CAN get the thought for the shoes after the corpse is down. Talk to the unionista about the missing pieces, choose "find all" option.

Also, White Mourning thought is a must have for anyone who wants to zoom out.

Something I found hilarious about the Armour (late game spoilers):

I found it hilarious that the one piece of armour you can't get (the leggings) is the one piece your character would have needed to prevent getting wounded in the showdown with the mercs. Despite walking around with the rest of your body protected, it never actually becomes relevant.

Well played devs.

The breastplate prevents you from being hit by the first shot if you fail the reaction speed check

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright I'm done. 30 hours so actually maybe the people who finished quick weren't so bad, because I emptied the quest log and maxed encyclopedia.

Ending sucked. but there's a really good final conversation that's super nice.

vota DC

Augur
For anyone wondering: you CAN get the thought for the shoes after the corpse is down. Talk to the unionista about the missing pieces, choose "find all" option.

Also, White Mourning thought is a must have for anyone who wants to zoom out.
Isn't regular zoom out enough?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright I'm done. 30 hours so actually maybe the people who finished quick weren't so bad, because I emptied the quest log and maxed encyclopedia.

Ending sucked. but there's a really good final conversation that's super nice.

16 hours for first, but I suspect I missed quite a few things.

Definitely gave me an itch to replay.

Shadenuat

Arcane
High Psy is best for game. Than its Int, Mot (you want grab Perception) and last Physical.
Considering how low skill checks are and the clothes and things I think 4-4-1-3 would give you most variation in play, especially if you focus on skills. Skill value falls off after 8 points or so.
Hell you could probably even go 3-3-3-3 level good things to 6 and use clothes n stuff. Fail some for lulz.

The only skill I liked from red was Shivers tbh.
From yellowz, perception, sometimes composture came to play and some interfacing.
Blues I think are really all decent and you don't feel much of a detective without them.
Purples, empathy, suggestion, inland empire are most interesting imo.

Last edited:
Man, I wanted to wait a few months before my second playthrough for bug fixes and balance tweaks to set in, but now I'm really itching to start again with a new character. I was thinking 5 int, 3 mot+phy, 1 psych - a kind of unstable psychopath in the vein of Patrick Bateman who would of course be a Superstar+Ultraliberal Cop. All those, naturally, being masks he uses to hide his inner pain.

Hustle or die biiiitch

Parabalus

Arcane
High Psy is best for game. Than its Int, Mot (you want grab Perception) and last Physical.
Considering how low skill checks are and the clothes and things I think 4-4-1-3 would give you most variation in play, especially if you focus on skills. Skill value falls off after 8 points or so.
Hell you could probably even go 3-3-3-3 level good things to 6 and use clothes n stuff. Fail some for lulz.

The only skill I liked from red was Shivers tbh.
From yellowz, perception, sometimes composture came to play and some interfacing.
Blues I think are really all decent and you don't feel much of a detective without them.
Purples, empathy, suggestion, inland empire are most interesting imo.

I think low MOT is passable, since:
  • Perception you can pump with the early "Lonesome long way home" thought.
  • Superstar cop ups composure limit.
  • Fifteenth Indotribe gives Savoir faire limit.
Don't feel like I really missed any yellow checks with 1 MOT, but hard to tell.

The thoughts really make character building interesting.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished the game. Overall I really, really enjoyed it. It's definitely the most hooked I've been in a gamestory in a really long while. The type of game that I just couldn't wait to get back into, and that I had a hard time putting down. I went in almost blind into the game, didn't know anything about the story, didn't follow at all what was going on prior to release. The only things I knew was that you're playing a detective, a focus on political stuff and an unusual skill system. Going in blind like that always makes a good game even better.

-Wasn't supercrazy about the political stuff, or at least the way it was presented to the player and the roleplaying you can engage in. I guess it was necessary to really tie the humor to it but it made for a slightly awkward roleplaying experience I think. Perhaps I'm just missing the point but I don't think they tied it together completely tonally speaking. Some of the humor was definitely funny and well-written but I often found that it took away from the seriousness of the game at times in a way that I didn't like all that much.

-Which brings me to the more personal writing for the main character. Which I thought was extremely fucking good and actually pretty damn heartbreaking at times. I didn't think I'd be a fan of it at first but some of that stuff was really well done, and the music in some of those scenes certainly helped.
But yeah, the writing for just the basic human stuff... reaaaaally well done. They really get under the skin so to speak, and a lot of the times it really hits the mark.

-Characters in general were great. Especially one character that plays a big role in the game and the main quest was just a delight. But most of them were fun to interact with.

-Most of the time the game does pretty well in handling how bizarre it is. I think there are a few moments where it crosses into "wohoo we're so fucking looney!!!" territory but most of the time it works remarkably well. Again, testament to good writing. The setting is really interesting all in all.

-Lots of things tie into one another, always welcome in these types of games.

-Story was... good. It definitely kept me intrigued up to the end but there were some bits where I wish the game would've given you an option for something but there just wasn't any because *PLOT*. Thinking about one situation in particular. BUT, as far as a thriller/mystery goes, I was actually thrilled to see what would come next so in that regard it was great. It will hurt the replayability of course since a lot of that excitement is gone once you know.

-The very ending kinda sucked for me. A lot of the stuff working up to it was pretty good even though it wasn't necessarily where I would've liked to the story to go personally. But the final moments were completely off tonally speaking from what I would've liked personally. It did not feel satisfying to me, not in terms of "wrapping it up" and definitely not emotionally.

-Skill system and thought cabinet? Pretty cool ideas I think. Having the internal discussions was something I found annoying at first but grew to like a lot, especially since there's a lot of it.

-Is it an RPG? I don't know and who the fuck cares? It did some interesting things, felt unique to play and was surprisingly solid and bug free for me. Go in if you want story, stay away if you want combat and dungeon delving.

Fantastic game overall, didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Very intrigued to see what these devs will come up with next, hope it will be something else in the RPG vein. And again, some of the writing is just really fucking good.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I have a feeling Prime Junta may be inebriated.

Only on love and Communism, baby
Well at least you recognize that communism makes you delusional.
honkhonk.png

Syvere

Educated
To get the most of my probably only playthrough I was thinking 5412 (tagging Inland Empire and then raising Perception early) or 4413+Logic. Since some of you have already finished the game which (or if something else is better) would get me most content out of that single playthrough?

Prime Junta

Since some of you have already finished the game which (or if something else is better) would get me most content out of that single playthrough?

JPTFG. As long as you don’t dump both Int and Psy you’ll get a ton of content. Int is chattier but Psy more insightful. And yes do pump Per early, and quicksave frequently until you have enough Nosaphed to deal with the continuous heart attacks.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, as time passes this thing pisses me off more and more.

During the confrontation between Hardies and mercs you seemingly can't avoid the second shot. This is so fuckin' lame. I see more and more people everywhere, on Discord, Steam even, who ask if that's possible. It's just fuckin' depressing seein' all these good folks who try to come up with counters to that shot, who lament that not a lot of people will invest into relevant skill for their first go at the game so chances are low, that perhaps there are ways to avoid it etc. etc. And there are none. Jesus, you really fucked this game up by railroading SO hard after and including this confrontation.

You can fuckin' PERSUADE the container door to open and you can't avoid this one shot. Grow some non-pinko balls devs.

Prime Junta

Guys, where can I sleep with no money and hotel room door locked?

You can’t. Restart and better luck next time.

N.b. I’m not sure if the soft-block is a bug or not, but the intent is that if you fail to make rent the first two nights, it’s game over. Man up and deal with your responsibilities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom