Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Egosphere

Arcane
Egosphere the mercs
have high-tech ceramic armor that lets them shrug off bullets (if you fail to dodge the first shot but you’re wearing the cuirass, you’re fine). They have semi-automatic breachloading guns, while you and the Hardies are using muzzle loading pistols. And they’re trained—they are the tanky assassins. Only losing three people—the best outcome we’ve been able to find so far—is pretty damn good.

I still wish they’d written more ways this scene could play out, and teasing us with an impossible check is cruel, but the best outcome isn’t unreasonable.

Yes, but they're also drunk, and I'm a physical specimen that is the most athletic of all the people there (H/E + Reaction + Perception >= 11). Also

in my playthrough, they're pretty much wrecked before they even start shooting.

I shoot Korty in the face, so he's down, but not yet out
I dodge 'killer's' shot, which doesn't hit anybody
Kim shoots the 'killer' in the neck, so he's down
Woman merc tries to shoot Kim and misses, kills Angus instead (because she's a really bad shot)
The Hardie boys scatter behind me, only Titus and Lizzie remain
Korty manages to get a shot away and bring me down
I tell Kim to watch out, so he kills the merc woman, who's the last one standing. If you fail here, she shoots Kim from point blank range but fails to kill him, which is yet more proof that she's an awful shot
So who managed to kill 2 more of the Hardie boys? The woman? Maybe, but unlikely. Korty? He's been shot in the face, so I don't see it. If those two can still shoot, then Kim would take the brunt of it, but he doesn't. It also doesn't add up because Titus tries to rally his men and protect me, yet somehow the woman manages to sneak up on Kim a few seconds later. And if Korty can still shoot, then so should I goddamit! It's just a flesh wound. I get over it in 2 days.

This encounter shattered any illusions about 'unprecedented freedom' that I harbored beforehand. There should have been an option to just wreck the tribunal and continue on with the game. Perhaps getting a 2nd gun from Ruby, so you could dual wield them, or something..

Edit: Also, your gun is a pepperbox with 3 barrels

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Egosphere the mercs
have high-tech ceramic armor that lets them shrug off bullets (if you fail to dodge the first shot but you’re wearing the cuirass, you’re fine). They have semi-automatic breachloading guns, while you and the Hardies are using muzzle loading pistols. And they’re trained—they are the tanky assassins. Only losing three people—the best outcome we’ve been able to find so far—is pretty damn good.

I still wish they’d written more ways this scene could play out, and teasing us with an impossible check is cruel, but the best outcome isn’t unreasonable.
the problem is that you deal a fatal injury to their leader but he is is always faster than you. The guy with helmet would be a better candidate since Kim unlike you has no clue about armor weak points.
Theo dies because heart attack? Kim mentions Angus took many bullets while Theo was too old to fight. Possible homage to big lebowski?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First bad review? https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/disco-elysium-review/

Disco Elysium feels like a game that would have been better suited to a point and click adventure, rather than a sprawling RPG. It’s a game that has a lot to say (quite literally, given that it’s made up of around one million words) but doesn’t always know what tone to use while saying it, which leads to an experience that just didn’t captivate me as much as it might others. Its characters are almost universally disgusting excuses for human beings, which also didn’t help as I found nobody to relate to or latch onto.

Positives
Genuinely funny at times
Well-written

Negatives
Its tone shifts way too much
Dice rolls are almost as bad as XCOM’s accuracy percentages
Progression issues

7.5/10
At the risk of sounding like a complete f****t (faggot), I have to say - the game speaks to me on a level I didn't think possible. Harry is about the most relatable protagonist in any game ever and seeing these reviews that boil down to "haha, game so funny, alcoholic detective does crazy shit" just makes me wonder how fucking sheltered and devoid of any strife the lives of these reviewers have been up to this point that this is what they see when playing Disco. Boggles the mind really.

Also depends on how long you play it. First day or even the first two, you might still have the impression of "LOL you can play an over the top alcoholic detective who thinks himself a disco superstar and is both a commie and a fascist at the same time LOL", but once you actually get to know the characters, established a friendly relationship with Kim (nerding about how awesome cars are!), and found out more about your own past it starts to become tragic and deeply moving. But first you have to invest the time and effort to get there.

Meeting the netpicker woman on a date at the beach and just talking about things was a beautiful moment, as was meeting her daughter in her house and having her press her plush sheep against my cheek because she thought I was just as fluffy as her sheep, and took a liking to me. Or that one quest that first starts out funny,
when you pester a woman at the bookstore long enough about her husband, or her daughters, or maybe her fucking cockatel missing, she finally admits that her husband has taken quite a while to return home and she's getting slightly worried. It starts off funny because of how you pester her with ridiculous shit, but then when you actually find her husband and realize he died due to an accident, and have to report the death to her... it becomes a tragic and poignant moment.

This game is full of genuinely human moments, and I don't think I've ever played a game with more believeable characters than this one. They seem like real people, with good sides and bad sides to them, with memories and hopes and dreams, with a past and a future. Not just plot devices existing for a specific quest-related purpose only.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Closer to yaoi fanart

This is pretty sweet tho

u2zezglq3wt31.jpg

it's getting fan art, now we have absolute proof it's a VN.

Nah we still need the slash fiction

Hold my beer.

All characters are consenting adults above the age of 18.

Still reeling from week-old miasma, Harry stumbled into the greenhouse, hoping that the aroma of the flora within would help him get over the cadaverous smell. Instead the strong floral smell mixed with the sickly-sweet stench of the rotting corpse outside, causing the detective to throw up. Again. This time Harry heaved so forcefully that he went weak in the knees and collapsed on all fours, dirtying his already-soiled tie and blazer with his own vomit.

Kim entered behind him and closed the greenhouse door.

"Detective," the lieutenant said in the professional and quietly disappointing tone he has maintained the whole morning, "you need to get your shit together."

"How I get anything together, let alone my shit?" Harry mumbled, not even taking the effort to try and get off the ground, as a beautiful woman's countenance appeared in his mind for a split second and with it a vague sense of dread.

"Well... I know of one way I can help, if you feel like you can't do it on your own," Kim's gentle voice was tinged with something new and strange then. Something like...anticipation? Harry thought.

"Yeah. Whatever. Go ahead," Harry pressed his right cheek into the soft soil and muttered, "what'cha got there, smelling salts? Speed? Its speed, isn't it, or some other upper? Give it here, Dolores Dei knows I've done a lot it in back in the day, or, uh, last week...or did I? I can't seem to fucking remember..."

"No, detective. What I've got here is..." Kim answered in a low voice as he unzipped his fly, "a Volumetric Shit Compressor."

Harry shifted, suddenly alarmed, but the lieutenant's deft hands were already pulling down his soft bell-bottom trousers in yellow wool flannel. An exciting new note joined in the orchestra of scents, taking its seat - nay, its throne - betwixt the floral orchestra and the miasmic pit: the honey of Harry's unwashed anus.

"Lieutenant Kim," the detective said mechanically, as if reciting a disclaimer, "I enthusiastically consent to this and any further sexual interactions and also this isn't obscene at all. Please, proceed."

With an ecstatic grunt Kim brushed his hardening fuckstick against the older man's shit jungle. A successful Inland Empire check informed Harry that the lieutenant's cockthing was a kind of cocksplorer, braving the mysterious depths of his chocolate thicket, like an eager traveler venturing forth into an exciting new isola.

"L-lieutenant!" the alcoholic roared, "y-you are plundering the depths of my jungle!!!"

"What...did...you...say?" Kim managed to utter between animalistic grunts.

"N-nothing..." Harry weakly answered, trembling with pleasure as the man straddling him pushed past his fourteenth sphincter, the ploughstaff's head gently brushing against his atrium, "I can feel my shit...getting volumetrically compressed..."

Fuck-drunk, the detective clenched his teeth and actuated his prostate muscles, milking the base of Kim's anal invader, the tip which has reached as far as his esophagus. Harry opened his mouth and thrust a few vomit-and-viscera covered fingers inside, pushing them into Kim's urethra for maximum pleasure. The bulbous, purple head of the lieutenant's mancannon turned this fuck-serenade into a duet as it playfully took Harry's uvula inside it.

The two men were intertwined more deeply than Siamese twins. Or more deeply than ultraliberalism and psychopathy. Or more deeply than communism and mass-murder. Or more deeply than moralism and fascism. (This is nuanced political commentary, by the way.)

A nearly uncomfortable - yet oh so exciting - awareness of his own body overcame Harry, like how one sometimes realizes they can and ought to breathe and blink manually. Kim's pleasure train has laid tracks from my ass and all the way through to my throat, he realized. The revelation was enough to make him gag - not because he was unhappy with this state of affairs (in fact, he was positively ecstatic), but out of a simple biological reflex.

This body-wide spasm, like that of a dying animal, was enough to push Kim over the brink. Screaming wordlessly, he emptied the contents of his impressively-sized gonads into the man he had entered. Having reached his own climax, Harry wanted to shout with joy, but he couldn't as a geyser of delicious cummies suddenly erupted from his throat. There were cummies in his bloodstream; cummies in his pride.

---

Later, after the two men cleaned up and redressed, the cummy-drunk alcoholic met Lieutenant Kitsuragi's tired gaze. His cheeks were even more flushed than usual, partly from the naughtiness that just overcame him, and partly from his recent cummy overdose.

"Lieutenant," he asked tentatively, more shy than anything, "does this mean that we are f*****s?"

"Detective," Kim parried in a professional tone detached from the visceral fuckfest that had just transpired, "please, don't suggest such... lewd things. I merely did what was required to get your shit together. Also, you should not use words that cause measurable harm to vulnerable minority groups, such as homophobic slurs."

"Fair enough," Harry answered stoically even as his heart quivered. What was this thing he felt? Disappointment? Longing? No...

Both.

"Let's go get that body down and solve this goddamn case, partner."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/122953-disco-elysium-video-interview-tips-and-reviews.html

IGN 9.6/10:

Disco Elysium is a unique blend of noir-detective fiction, traditional pen-and-paper RPGs, and a large helping of existentialist theory. Its twisting plot, cast of memorable characters, and sheer depth of choice combine to create an experience that begs to be savoured. A few minor gripes aside, it hits on almost every single one of the marks it sets out to achieve and left me yearning to spend more time in its world.

Mirror Online 5/5:

Disco is an absolute powerhouse of a game with strong writing, great performances and intriguing mechanics that meant I honestly struggled to stop playing. This game is destined to be a cult classic and deserves to be regarded as a peer of Planetscape, Baldur’s Gate and Fallout, which is the highest praise I could offer.

Daily Star 5/5:

This detective story is full of everything you’d want in an RPG. Slick writing, dice rolls, bundles of stats to ponder and some of the most beautiful visuals you’ll see outside of the Tate Modern.

There’s depth, hundreds of hours of replayability and above all, an experience you won’t forget. With humour, panache, wit and genuinely touching moments, this is a hell of a story.

Critical Hit 8.5/10:

Occasionally obtuse and slow, Disco Elysium excels at delivering one of the best role-playing game experiences in a very long time with exceptional writing, world building and mechanical immersion

USgamer 4.5/5:

Disco Elysium wants to get you in touch with the voices in your head. This detective RPG calls back to the old Infinity Engine games like Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate, but it put a unique spin on everything. With a beautiful oil painting aesthetic, it also features a system that treats your skill like additional party members, each with their own opinions on your actions. Ultimately, every lengthy run-though of Disco Elysium is about the consequences of your choices and actions, adding up to some fantastic stories. A great, surprising entry into RPG canon.

The Indie Game Website 10/10:

Disco Elysium blew my mind with its radically simple but deep approach to roleplaying. Its world and characterisation are brought to life by artistry and writing that are nothing short of astounding. Somehow, the stars aligned with absurd ambition, sheer fledgling talent and a decade of pen and paper storytelling in the Elysium universe to create something truly special.

Is Disco Elysium the best RPG of all time? I can’t make that call. Is it the best game I’ve played all year? Absolutely.

Terenty

Liturgist
I haven't finished the game yet just decided to check how different another playthrough would be with different stats and after playing a bit it seems not that much.

Most of the time its simply flavour text that doesn't change anything. Even npcs reply the same things no matter what dialogue option you choose.

The game is great, dont get me wrong, but the roleplaying aspect of it is rather exaggerated. I dont want to say its on a scam level, because i like the game and cant put it down because its that good, but its actually surprising how superficial the rpg system actually is. Its almost non existent. And calling it groundbreaking or revolutionary is absolutely ridiculous.

I will say this. Robert Kurvitz is a talented version of Todd Howard.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah that review is dumb, characters are best part of the game. Mr. Kurvitz has a knack for creating NPCs that have unique, distinct personalities and who become instantly memorable after just a few lines of text. And he somehow does it while avoiding worn out tropes of "weird and quirky" or "strong and silent" or whatever. I have never seen anything quite like it in any video game before. You rarely see it in books, let alone in video games.

Political writing on the other hand is cringeworthy teenage drivel full of trite banalities, but I'll drop that guillotine in my final review.

I just role-play apolitical character and laugh at what the game interprets that as.

Your posts have become more substantial and easier to read since you've started playing the game. Hopefully you can just let go of meaningless gripes and just enjoy the game for what it is.

Egosphere

Arcane
I haven't finished the game yet just decided to check how different another playthrough would be with different stats and after playing a bit it seems not that much.

Most of the time its simply flavour text that doesn't change anything. Even npcs reply the same things no matter what dialogue option you choose.

The game is great, dont get me wrong, but the roleplaying aspect of it is rather exaggerated. I dont want to say its on a scam level, because i like the game, but its actually surprising how superficial the rpg system actually is. Its almost non existent. And calling it groundbreaking or revolutionary is absolutely ridiculous.

I will say this. Robert Kurvitz is a talented version of Todd Howard.

You'll most likely get gated content from some quests due to failing the rolls, but since there's a big bottleneck near the end, you'll arrive in the same area nonetheless. The ending will also be altered depending on what you did throughout your investigation, but there are no ending slides, which is pretty disappointing. I do agree that it isn't really a revolutionary game. If I may indulge in an econ 101 example, all we're seeing is an rpg that has moved away from guns and into butter on the production possibility frontier.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Swimming to the island now, so tabbing to Codex during long cutscene. Hopefully there's a lot of content there otherwise the ending is insanely rushed.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nah we still need the slash fiction

Hold my beer.

I... I know you.

You're that girl in my high-school class. Who was always in the computer classroom, writing something. I think I caught a glimpse of your browser once -- and you had Terra Arcanum open, but I didn't dare to say anything about it.

Do you still remember? That one autumn evening, when the Counter Strike jocks were not there and it was just you and me, I asked you what you were typing. And you were silent for a moment before answering in a resolute small voice, "slash fan fiction."

And I smiled and said "cool."

It was like a huge weight was lifted from your shoulders. That was probably the first time you looked me in the eye.

Gods... I know I promised to call you once I got out of the army, I know I did. And if I'd known you were a virgin I'd been more gentle, but I was so full of machismo and testosterone then. You know how the time flies when you are young.

But you have to understand. You see - I didn't know what slash fiction was then.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The reactivity in this game is subtle and amazing, and let's be clear that this kind of stuff (and lack thereof) is exactly the kind of thing I usually pick up on and bitch incessantly about.

I wrote FUCKY-FUCKY in a form two days ago, hours upon hours of gametime, and boom, just came back to haunt me.

10/10

Pyreen

Educated
They have other business relationships as well, possibly personal even. This Soros finances ZAUM studio head's brother's business as well.

Didn't one of the Kurvitzs (Raoul, I think?) also speak on now-executive-producer Kaur Kender's behalf during his child pornography trial?

Egosphere

Arcane
They have other business relationships as well, possibly personal even. This Soros finances ZAUM studio head's brother's business as well.

Didn't one of the Kurvitzs (Raoul, I think?) also speak on now-executive-producer Kaur Kender's behalf during his child pornography trial?

Sounded big, so I just googled it. It was about a book Kender wrote, not actual child pornography.

Pyreen

Educated

Sounded big, so I just googled it. It was about a book Kender wrote, not actual child pornography.

Yeah, that's what the trial was about, to determine whether the work in question was literature or child pornography, according to Estonian law. Kender published a work called Untitled 12 online in 2014. It consists of detailed descriptions of the anal/oral/vaginal rape, genital mutilation (clitoridectomy etc.), sexual torture, vivisection and murder of children from infant age (under 3), to 16 years of age. The "titular" character is 12 years old. The defense argued that the work wasnt pornographic mainly because of the "literary" language used, citing as examples the use of the word "esophagus" instead of "mouth" when describing a little girl vomiting from oral rape, and on the assertion that "nobody could be erotically stimulated by reading this". The court ruled the work to be literature, not pornography, and Kender was acquited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom