Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Prime Junta

I haven't played this game yet but I refuse to believe that its groupies are anywhere near as irritating as AoD's or PF:K's.

Our haters are top tier though.

Bl@de

Educated
I have started playing yesterday as the "Thinker". Fun game so far. But what are the best skills for a caharacter focused on intellect and motorics? There are so many... Does it matter at all or can you beat the game with every character? Also: What level can I reach during one playthrough?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have started playing yesterday as the "Thinker". Fun game so far. But what are the best skills for a caharacter focused on intellect and motorics? There are so many... Does it matter at all or can you beat the game with every character? Also: What level can I reach during one playthrough?
RPG "players" these days...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You can beat the game with pretty much any character—certainly any of the prebuilds—as long as you don’t deliberately gimp yourself by making like a 1-1-1-1 build. Disco is very generous with skill points.

The best MOT skill is perception, by far. The others come up less frequently, but they each have some big moments. Hand/eye coordination has an awesome red check very early in the game that you really want to make if you’ve got a motorics build (but I don’t think it’s that hard with 4 MOT and 6 INT as one of your INT skills can give you a bonus). Reaction speed lets you come up with clever comebacks in conversation. Composure is useful, especially for a low PSY character—it can prevent you from taking morale damage and also prevent you from embarrassing yourself. Interfacing comes up a bunch.

For INT, they’re all fairly useful and with 6 INT you don’t need to invest much more to make them quite powerful. Encyclopedia is the least useful and six points is plenty. Frankly, you might not want to put many more points into INT skills until you fail a white check and need to invest a skill point to take another crack at it.

My advice: experiment with the thought cabinet to find thoughts that raise your learning caps for certain PSY and FYS skills so that you can offset some of your character’s weaknesses. There are at least couple thoughts that boost the learning cap for Shivers and/or Inland Empire—take them. Same for Volition and Endurance—they’re very important.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????
Tone down the speed cuno

Skall

Learned
Kasparov congrats on the release! Since the game's writing has gotten so much praise, I'll at least mention loving the animated colour-explosion of the title screen, the loose strokes texturing the environments, and the chaotic mural of the Thought Cabinet. And that song that plays at the Whirling-In-Rags has completely wormed its way into my ear.

I bowed out of the old thread after it devolved into a Codexian debate on communism, but by then I already knew I'd be picking up the game on day-one. Really digging it so far and I'll probably try to catch up on this thread after my first playthrough (I'm already curious as to how subsequent ones will change based on my build and choices).

What I wanted to mention that I haven't seen brought up yet is how all the text in the game is actually presented.

A few years ago I was working on a small dialogue-prototype that focused on passive checks for "flavour" text and active checks for the selectable options, so it's fascinating seeing something similar in a completed project. I think the fact that conversations are shown vertically -- as opposed to the horizontal bottom-bar of Infinity Engine style games -- is a huge plus as it limits wall-of-text paragraphs. I also did something similar for framing, but whereas I used the left side to display a journal with notes, Disco Elysium preserves it to show the great visuals of the game while keeping focus on the talkers. It's a clean, stylish approach that I wouldn't be surprised to see games mimic in the future, but I do wish there was an option to always-show the die-rolls to more clearly convey the gameplay-checks.

The passive checks further break up the text into more digestible chunks, and the fact that they're their own voices works wonderfully. I never considered making such passive checks into characters themselves -- ones the protagonist/player can doubt or question -- but it adds so much personality to what could've easily been dry, descriptive text. Really good stuff.

Can't wait to play more and give no truce to the Furies!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd compare this game to an incredibly tall tree. As in, it stacks gargantuan amount of layers on top of a handful of NPCs spread around a small patch of land. You can climb up top using many different branches, but every time you look around, you'll see the same landscape.

And that describes pretty much every RPG that exists. You might cut some branches as you climb, sometimes you make a detour for a stronger big branch and go to its end to see what you find. The very act of your climb may kill the tree or help it grow, depending on how you climbed. But this isn't made obvious to the climber, unless he stops to listen to the tree itself.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I finished it last night. Took me around 36 hours, with the Sensitive premade build.

I can understand the complaints about it not being a "proper" RPG (whatever that means) or it not being branched enough. And honestly, I couldn't care less about these things. It was an amazing experience. Not that anyone cares, but it's definitely game of the year for me; I would say it's even in my personal top 3 games of this decade.

I hope this doesn't bomb financially - I would love to revisit Revachol or the other places in this setting in another game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Cuno should get his own game.
Unironically, I'd be genuinely interested in a game where you'd play as a truly fucked-up Cuno, because boyo that kid does not have a good future ahead of him.

In just a few years, he'll be one of those homeless punks at the top of the scene and wake up with loose teeth in a derelict apartment in an abandoned complex full of squatters, using a pile of black garbage bags as a improvised bed, with a black eye and an ache.
He won't have lost his memory, but he'll have no idea where he is or how he got there and it just might be time to stop.
C? C, where the fuck are you? Shit don't do this to me C, you were.. you were right here, right?
Fuck now I made myself sad.
:negative:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd compare this game to an incredibly tall tree. As in, it stacks gargantuan amount of layers on top of a handful of NPCs spread around a small patch of land. You can climb up top using many different branches, but every time you look around, you'll see the same landscape.

And that describes pretty much every RPG that exists. You might cut some branches as you climb, sometimes you make a detour for a stronger big branch and go to its end to see what you find. The very act of your climb may kill the tree or help it grow, depending on how you climbed. But this isn't made obvious to the climber, unless he stops to listen to the tree itself.

Not at all. Proper RPGs are pyramid-shaped, you can take multiple paths to the peak and only in the late game the walls start closing in. To survive a pyramid, you have to be a prestigious adventurer, preferably a cool archeologist who wears leather jackets and a fancy hat.

Meanwhile a typical player who enjoys a tree-structured visual novel like Disco Elysium is a vegan, feminist tree-hugger with no agency and no direction to go except straight to the top.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not at all. Proper RPGs are pyramid-shaped, you can take multiple paths to the peak and only in the late game the walls start closing in. To survive a pyramid, you have to be a prestigious adventurer, preferably a cool archeologist who wears leather jackets and a fancy hat.

Meanwhile a typical player who enjoys a tree-structured visual novel like Disco Elysium is a vegan, feminist tree-hugger with no agency and no direction to go except straight to the top.
This is actually a very prestigious observation, and one I find myself agreeing with. :obviously:

Unironically, I'd be genuinely interested in a game where you'd play as a truly fucked-up Cuno, because boyo that kid does not have a good future ahead of him.
Nonsense. Cuno ended up really liking my character. Punching him, splitting speed with him, and shoving my fingers into a corpse all worked to impress him a hell of a lot. He'll become a fine upstanding citizen like Harry. Cunoesse is probably fucked but maybe she'll die off before she can take Cuno down with her.

Still haven't started a new character yet, got the Pathologic 2 DLC in just a few days and I don't think I'll poopsock my next Harry. Think I might go heavy intellect and psyche and dumpster motorics and physical just for the complete opposite of my last character. I suspect intellect-Harry is probably the most boring of the bunch (Kim already covers that nicely and I'm not sure if the blue skills would pay off enough in non-murder mystery ways) so I may lean more toward psyche, but I dunno.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well I just got across the river fairly late on Day 3, and...
I got my oil.
..and I found the car.
Oh, Harry.

Harry, Harry, Harry.

:negative:
vzZlpy8.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom