Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Disco Elysium - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Zero Credibility, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Ramnozack Learned

Ramnozack
    To make up for the lack of combat :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Old Old x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Need to try this IRL more.

MONEY!!!.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I'd compare this game to an incredibly tall tree. As in, it stacks gargantuan amount of layers on top of a handful of NPCs spread around a small patch of land. You can climb up top using many different branches, but every time you look around, you'll see the same landscape.

• Creative Creative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Kasparov ?

^ Top  
  5. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    While we're on the topic, if anyone is going to be digging up any avatars, it'd actually be nice to have all of them, sorted into a pile of spoilery and non-spoilery, if applicable.

They're probably in the asset files somewhere. It's just Unity, after all.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    I believe all the avatars are up on the Codex.

^ Top  
  7. Butter Erudite

Butter
    Going through the avatars now and realizing how awful Harry looks without his mutton chops. Keep it disco friends.

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fredward Educated

Fredward
    Disco Elysium is the greatest game that has ever been made thank you and goodbye.

• FAKE NEWS x 4
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • incline x 2
    • cool story bro x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    It goes PS:T, Underrail, Disco Elysium, Age of Decadence, IWD for me in terms of RPG enjoyment.

• Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Our haters are top tier though.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bl@de Novice

Bl@de
    I have started playing yesterday as the "Thinker". Fun game so far. But what are the best skills for a caharacter focused on intellect and motorics? There are so many... Does it matter at all or can you beat the game with every character? Also: What level can I reach during one playthrough?

• popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Popiel Magister Patron

Popiel
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    RPG "players" these days...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Just low-res scaled-down/cut-off versions, for codexian use. I want the game ones.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Meh,just screenshot it and cut it out lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    You can beat the game with pretty much any character—certainly any of the prebuilds—as long as you don’t deliberately gimp yourself by making like a 1-1-1-1 build. Disco is very generous with skill points.

The best MOT skill is perception, by far. The others come up less frequently, but they each have some big moments. Hand/eye coordination has an awesome red check very early in the game that you really want to make if you’ve got a motorics build (but I don’t think it’s that hard with 4 MOT and 6 INT as one of your INT skills can give you a bonus). Reaction speed lets you come up with clever comebacks in conversation. Composure is useful, especially for a low PSY character—it can prevent you from taking morale damage and also prevent you from embarrassing yourself. Interfacing comes up a bunch.

For INT, they’re all fairly useful and with 6 INT you don’t need to invest much more to make them quite powerful. Encyclopedia is the least useful and six points is plenty. Frankly, you might not want to put many more points into INT skills until you fail a white check and need to invest a skill point to take another crack at it.

My advice: experiment with the thought cabinet to find thoughts that raise your learning caps for certain PSY and FYS skills so that you can offset some of your character’s weaknesses. There are at least couple thoughts that boost the learning cap for Shivers and/or Inland Empire—take them. Same for Volition and Endurance—they’re very important.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kasparov ZA/UM Developer

Kasparov
    I would think the portraits will be in the digital art book. Stay tuned

• Excited! Excited! x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Cuno should get his own game.

• Yes Yes x 7
    • incline incline x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    You want to fiddle Cuno,shove a finger up his ass???

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????FUCK DOES CUNO CARE??????

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Tone down the speed cuno

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    He needs to the the Chosen One who rolls back the Pale, saves reality, and becomes the next Innocence.

Show Spoiler
    And brings forth full Communism, natch.

• incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    By the way did it die in your game?

Show Spoiler
    The old hardcore soldier dude that is on Prime Junta 's avatar. It was the saddest moment of the game :(.

• :( :( x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Nah,Cuno is a fascist bastard like me :smug:.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Skall Learned

Skall
    Kasparov congrats on the release! Since the game's writing has gotten so much praise, I'll at least mention loving the animated colour-explosion of the title screen, the loose strokes texturing the environments, and the chaotic mural of the Thought Cabinet. And that song that plays at the Whirling-In-Rags has completely wormed its way into my ear.

I bowed out of the old thread after it devolved into a Codexian debate on communism, but by then I already knew I'd be picking up the game on day-one. Really digging it so far and I'll probably try to catch up on this thread after my first playthrough (I'm already curious as to how subsequent ones will change based on my build and choices).

What I wanted to mention that I haven't seen brought up yet is how all the text in the game is actually presented.

A few years ago I was working on a small dialogue-prototype that focused on passive checks for "flavour" text and active checks for the selectable options, so it's fascinating seeing something similar in a completed project. I think the fact that conversations are shown vertically -- as opposed to the horizontal bottom-bar of Infinity Engine style games -- is a huge plus as it limits wall-of-text paragraphs. I also did something similar for framing, but whereas I used the left side to display a journal with notes, Disco Elysium preserves it to show the great visuals of the game while keeping focus on the talkers. It's a clean, stylish approach that I wouldn't be surprised to see games mimic in the future, but I do wish there was an option to always-show the die-rolls to more clearly convey the gameplay-checks.

The passive checks further break up the text into more digestible chunks, and the fact that they're their own voices works wonderfully. I never considered making such passive checks into characters themselves -- ones the protagonist/player can doubt or question -- but it adds so much personality to what could've easily been dry, descriptive text. Really good stuff.

Can't wait to play more and give no truce to the Furies!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  25. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)