Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

So pretty much a more RPG heavy Stasis?

Longshanks

Augur
They've managed to avoid the two things that most easily render an RPG unplayable: dull combat and bloated play times. One to watch for sure.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I always wholeheartedly support crazy artistic experiments even if they lead to catastrophic consequences. So far this game sounds crazy enough to be fun. What it needs is some LSD-induced alternate reality sequences.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am not sure why you need isometric perspective if you don't have tactical combat or something else game could benefit from being isometric... but whocares

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
. Don't you think it deserves a newpost/frontpage?

:takemymoney:

You would think so, but then I actually went to the front page and saw it was a hollow ground reserved for delay announcements and reviews of Witcher 3 DLC.

Acerbic remarks aside, keeping us off there did no favours for us. Candidly, I would like to know why?

What are your thoughts on how Age of Decadence non-combat aspect was designed?

I confess to a fault. I was intrigued by AoD -- the years of watching it being developed, plus the lead designer writes good reviews -- but I didn't get to playing it because it wasn't pretty enough. I'm shallow like that. Now I feel like I should, but I don't have the time.

How was it though? The non-combat? How was it "received" around these parts? Was there only one type of stat check -- passive? Because we've found having active checks that you roll, especially when the failure is played out too, really adds a lot. Makes it more gamey, brings it to life. It's one of the things I'm sincerely giddy to show embattled RPG veterans.

Isn't playing RPGs being a failure to start with.

Most people are failures. We don't have a glowing green mark on our hand that makes us special and an inspiration to everyone. There is no magical fantastical real estate waiting in the Frostfang mountains. But that's okay, defeat is good for the soul. The defeated are much more useful to the world than the victorious. There is life and freedom after failure; things the defeated can do that successful people won't, because they don't need to. No one needs to fight after victory. No Truce is about that, in a way. Finding worth in your failure. Coming to terms with it. Turning it into a weapon even, a weapon of dedication. I would like to think we're making a role playing game that doesn't leave you deserted in reality once it's finished. Coming down from a four month long sugar rush, standing in a party, thinking: "I saved the Universe, I had special, sexy, magical friends there... Now it's all gone!" I don't know about "best", but the most -- to me -- inspiring games have been the ones that don't drain me. I didn't go limping around after PS:T thinking "how do I get back there, please?"

We understood that with no RTwP combat and with a compact story we need something very personal at the core to make it work. Something that makes every conversation personal and is instantly relatable. That "thing" is failure, fellas. Writing is such a dead thing, when there's no personal motivation. Starting from this tremendously ruined state works for us. We didn't just slap the failure point on the press release for shits and giggles.

Also, it's... dare I say "fun?". We all have power fantasies, but we also have failure fantasies. We don't get to play out either one, actually. Going around with a bottle of wine, slurping on the idiotic drug GHB, when people think you're supposed to be a police detective can be delightful.

Last edited:

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
:avatard:

When do you think you're going to post your first video, Marat Sar?

Did Tyranny have a video? Was Tyranny on the front page?

We'll do a video in a month or two. We didn't want to just animate a skull or something to tick the box. (Maybe we should have.) On the plus side, can't wait to show off the music we have. That's such an unsung hero in RPGs. I really think we have something good there.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
:avatard:

When do you think you're going to post your first video, Marat Sar?

Did Tyranny have a video? Was Tyranny on the front page?

We'll do a video in a month or two. We didn't want to just animate a skull or something to tick the box. (Maybe we should have.) On the plus side, can't wait to show off the music we have. That's such an unsung hero in RPGs. I really think we have something special there.
I like you because you are insane. Good luck with the project. And play AoD, it's superb, innovative and there's nothing like it if you have some brains and patience. However, game devs mostly go around yelling "omg I got no time so I play Skyrimz" instead of researching their competition and learning from it so I guess that's you, too.

In order to get a newspost you need to shitpost for a while, defending Arcanum, modded Skyrim and Alpha Protocol. Then when you get enough traction, the main forum AI will take notice and automatically upload all your press releases onto the News Page.

Last edited by a moderator:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How was it though? The non-combat? How was it "received" around these parts? Was there only one type of stat check -- passive? Because we've found having active checks that you roll, especially when the failure is played out too, really adds a lot. Makes it more gamey, brings it to life. It's one of the things I'm sincerely giddy to show embattled RPG veterans.

Reception is divided AFAIK. Some praise it as the second coming, other dubbed the game is basically CYOA. And I am a youngfag so I don't know the difference between passive and active check. For me:

+ Very high amount of choice and reactivity to said choices and character builds to the point no combat is almost a game on its own.

+/- Teleporting. Basically after initiating a sequence of a quest,instead of moving from point A to B between phases, the game often teleport you to the point where the next phases happen. I actually don't mind this though.

- Transfer the choice in "Choice and Consequences" to "choice of skills you get." I am all for skills having important role in quest resolution, but in AoD (at least until 9-ish hours mark in my non-combat playthrough) when status check actually appear, it is very often the only correct choice bar none. Choosing another choice(or failing the check) will often result in a)Game over scenario. b)Failure of the quest. c) Optional alternative solution if the dev are feeling generous. There is no plausible way to pass that phase of a quest "normally" except passing the skill check which makes anything you said meaningless.
- Due to the negative point above, severely punish hybrid builds unless you are hoarding skill points and just level them as needed through trial and error.

Lhynn

Arcane
Game kind of reminds me of sometimes always monsters in the basic premise. Also i really like this dev.

Lhynn

Arcane
Make sure you read all of his posts before you say that
I have, i dont have to share all his points of views to like a person, he has no problem saying what he wants to say and thats very refreshing. And at least he is upfront about being a very slutty graphics whore.

Space Insect

Arcane
With his freedom to say what he wants and not try to pander to the Codex he is like the Trump of devs in this situation.

valcik

Arcane
I am not sure why you need isometric perspective if you don't have tactical combat or something else game could benefit from being isometric... but whocares
Because you can have awesome pre-rendered backgrounds running on average PC? This is Estonian gaem! You can't make NASA grade hardware requirements if you want pander to common Estonian folks, you know? Just for the record, I'm still sporting C2D e4500 + 2GB RAM, won't buy anything UE4 based for sure.

:outrage:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Because you can have awesome pre-rendered backgrounds running on average PC? This is Estonian gaem! You can't make NASA grade hardware requirements if you want pander to common Estonian folks, you know? Just for the record, I'm still sporting C2D e4500 + 2GB RAM, won't buy anything UE4 based for sure.

:outrage:
Can make an adventure game in a spirit of say Last Express

Internet

Scholar
Somebody should send these guys some pizza to support them. It's a codex tradition after all.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
For example they'll have working engine for full-fledged RPG. Also it looks nice.
They have a surprisingly competent artist for what I assume is a small team.
Because it's the case of a competent artist starting game studio.
http://kinnas.deviantart.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom