Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Disco Elysium Released

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Oct 15, 2019.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    At least they didn't advertise it as a 90 hour game but people are beating it in 20 hours.
    https://zaumstudio.com/2019/09/24/disco-elysium-is-a-colossal-game/
    :shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Strange Fellow The Law Patron

Strange Fellow
    If that's realy the calibre of argument we're going for, here, have this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It is inconsistent area/skill design. Same as you can lose a hitpoint by sitting in uncofmy chair or lose equal amount by slamming yourself full speed like retard on a ancient wooden barricaded door.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ScrotumBroth Disco balls Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I've been to the docks and talked to the boss NPC, it's nowhere near how he's described.
    First, you have to be mentally retarded to die during the conversation. I haven't died once and in day 3 now.
    Second, if you play smart, like an experienced RPG player (which you ought to as a codexer), you should have at least 3-4 healing potions for both mental and health pools, so on some ocassions you do lose hp, it's instantly restored. And some skills heal your morale during conversation.
    Third, if you have any brains, you can tell how to prepare for the situation, bring tools, boost your skills, level up.
    Fourth, this is not a mindless Obsidian Kickstarter game where you can roam and vacuum clickable items without having to use your brain once.

Sorry to say, but all the complaints so far have done is identified dumbfucks and RPG posers who would've probably either get stuck in Planescape Torment or rage quit. Literally where is your shame?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    I thought we were discussing progress-blocking bugs.

Nice goalpost-shifting though, IHaveHugeAgenda.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Technically, Thinker, who is proposed by the game as 1st pick, has PSY of 1, which means a single morale loss in the beginning like touching a car with yellow check is instant death.

^ Top  
  7. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    And won.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    No, we were discussing that Disco Elysium is a visual novel on rails and it filled you with such butthurt, you've resorted to using examples of people getting accidently stuck in a wall as a proof of challenging gameplay.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ScrotumBroth Disco balls Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    But players with brains will learn from either your example or the Endurance check tutorial with the body, where you had to invest one point in Endurance, use gloves, talk, get details to boost up the die roll check probability and pass. Using brain is hard.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    The same players who bashed AoD due to its gated content and harsh skill checks are now doing mental gymnastics to defend DE for doing the same fucking thing.

THIS HYPOCRISY IS LAUGHABLE!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    I don't agree that Disco Elysium is a visual novel, but I do think it's fair to question how much of an RPG it is.

IMO, it's really more of an adventure game with some RPG elements.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    You can find a way out if you wait around in the docks until after 22 hours by bringing something to read or inspect to advance time, like a book or your clipboard of case files.

You can also advance time by talking to the guy sitting outside Evrart’s office or trying to talk to the guy in the hanging shipping container. Should have enough INT to pass that check if your PSY and MOT are low enough to die from talking to Evrart. Given that Composure protects you from losing morale, like pain threshold for losing health, it’s an unusual situation to find yourself in. You need to pass Perception and Savoir Fair checks to find this way in, and getting through both if you dumped motorics isn’t easy.

IIRC at 22 or 23hrs Evrart goes to sleep for the day and leaves his badge near the coffee machine; the badge allows you to open the door.

There are multiple morale healing magnesiums scattered on the route between the hotel and Evrart’s office, too. At least two or three if you’re vacuuming up spare change and consumables, as one does. When I played earlier this year, I remember there was no magnesium in the harbor, but they added one right near Evrart’s office to make this scenario more beatable. And I think there’s another one in the little room near the locked exit.

Given the nature of the game, it’s super easy to restart from the very beginning and make up your progress in ten minutes if you get stuck on the first day.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Arcane Patron

Prime Junta
    Mass Effect is a cover shooter with some RPG elements.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    lol
    Same? If only, AoD is leagues above this shit.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Mass Effect isn't a cover shooter, ME2 and 3 are you dunce.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    I don't disagree at all.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Found another bug. Went to sleep, and on day 3, I can't move around my room anymore or my character..

0/10 SHIT GAEM!

^ Top  
  18. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I don't. Not even going to touch the game, had enough of CYOAing in AoD (which at least had decent writing).

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Quicksave and reload—problem solved

The funny thing is that it’s Goral who’s bashing this game for gated content and harsh skillchecks, and as far as I know he’s never bashed AoD for anything.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    No prebuild starts with 1 Endurance.
    They simply should have made Thinker a 5-2-2-3.

Just compare to next build on start, he can make 7 mistakes in dialogue; while the first one can make 1. (due to 2 fys)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Not really. He is criticising the game for a poorly made gated content. Big difference. In AoD, you have at the very least, three different ways to surpass any given skill/stat check.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Codexer: AoD is a CYOA on rails.

Also Codexer: DE is a new cRPG classic.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Could he have predicted he'd need those 3 morale to get out, other than a good-but-vague advice that he should be prepared at all times? Agendas aside it is bad design to let the player save or progress a good while after walking past a point of no return and require X to leave but X is only acquired outside. Some games make subtle suggestions you should save before those parts (or sometimes they just give you a prompt saying "save now") to avoid that, the skill check to jump down isn't enough since it only shows he can't go back that way.

Adding a way of recovering Volition after the one way passage, at least so he can leave and come back prepared for said challenge.

Unless there is one and no one found it

edit: missed Kyl's reply with alternative solutions, disregard

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lithium Flower Magister

Lithium Flower
    The bad thing about Lurker King and Goral is that they make me feel bad about being an AoD fanboy.

The good thing about Lurker King and Goral is that they make me feel good about being a DE fanboy.

• Balanced x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    The truth is that I’m just butthurt because I can’t play the game due to the system requirements. I can’t believe I will actually have to buy a new pc just to play a text-gameplay cRPG. First ELEX and now this. That's so sad! You can bet that this idiotic heavy graphics thing will marginalize a part of the intended audience.

• Funny x 4
    • Despair x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)