Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Prime Junta

Anyone want more meta? Thought so. Good.

Did you notice that your dialogue interface actually is the Feld Playback Experiment? You can tell by looking at the edges of the scrolling tape.

vota DC

Augur
AFAIK there's also only one bullet
There are 2 bullets, and 1 of them is connected to another my pet peeve, here it is:

when entering your fishing shack, if you have high something (Shivers?) game tells you to search the floor, but you cannot.
but when searching for Ruby, there appears a loose plank there with a bullet.

Bullet under the plank is the only bullet I found, it would helped another one since I shoot first, distract another shooter with my armor (zero damage) and can't do nothing while Kim manages to get 3 allied killed.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Did you notice that your dialogue interface actually is the Feld Playback Experiment? You can tell by looking at the edges of the scrolling tape.
I think it's nothing compared to when lady of pain tells you you're talking in fucking dialogue trees from all that detective work.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Btw, it is worth to search full set of armor or only chest will needed to save your ass? I just don't want to shit on relations with my only companion for boots that will end up useless.

Prime Junta

Btw, it is worth to search full set of armor or only chest will needed to save your ass? I just don't want to shit on relations with my only companion for boots that will end up useless.

If you're discreet about it he shouldn't mind. You know you want to be Robocop. Embrace it.

Starwars

Arcane
I loved the little bit where you randomly call people on the telephone near the boardwalk and suddenly *she* picks up. Like someone pointed out before, the whole bit about Harry being stuck in his own life while everything moves on around him, his ex, his age, everything, is really well done I think. And extremely relatable in many ways. The whole "dude who can't let go of his ex" is hardly a new thing but it's presented so well in the game, making it relatable for anyone who has had anything remotely close to that happen, and also highlighting the disgusting, destructive part of it without taking it too far. I really wanted to tell him "for fuck's sake Harry!" and at the same time I really felt for his situation. That's good shit.

Harry's personal shit is some of the best writing ever in a RPG. Hits all the right notes. There's a part of me that almost wishes the game was more about that, but perhaps it is best done as it is, in small servings here and there. But I still wish there was a more emotional ending for it, like after you wrap everything up. Just a small prologue or something where Harry either struggles to get his shit back together again or crashing and burning. I don't know... I just wanted something more for that arc. Since all the storybits regarding his past are very emotional and don't really hold back, I expected something similar for the very ending too.

Prime Junta

Prime Junta

... more musings, disregard if you're really fed up with my gushing ...

I'm on another playthrough (INT/MOT this time, previous was PSY/FYS) and I'm really impressed at how well the "boss battle" dialogues are crafted. Like the one with Titus and the Hardie boys. In the previous one I was able to really mindfuck them into giving me what I wanted, and the writing was completely plausible: the lines I got from Suggestion or Authority etc could totally have worked.

It takes some serious writing chops to build that kind of dialogue which flows so naturally and allows for so many different lines of attack, and plays so differently depending on what you did and what rolls you succeeded or failed. Plus that you can get more information and come back to them.

Anyway, needed to get that off my chest. Carry on gentlemen

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
didn't know this thread exist but i will post my thought (and revised a bit) about the ending

i finished. the cracks shows near the end, but i still love it. still one of my favorite RPG ever.

spoiler about the stuff i don't like:

the tribunal confrontation. yeaaaah that's a solid complaint. so railroaded, it feels like everything is being funneled into that moment and the player lost control while the rest of the game feels really open ended, detective-y. could do with better execution. no the game would be PERFECT with better execution

the second is the culprit. it just straight up violated knox's 1st law of detective story (i know it don't have any obligations to follow the rules and anything similar to them, but it's a videogame and i always think letting the players deduce in parallel of the in universe perspective is an amazing experience). i know he's been referenced here and there troughout the game ( i got the bullets, the flower, the 2 hideouts with the karl marx mazov pictures and statue, but he is still an outsider to the main cast. it's a lie from the beginning. the best the player can deduce is "it's none of them. it's someone else" and i thought of that immediately after ruby.

i liked his banter and confession moment, but i would love it more if he was a part of the main cast. maybe turn him into one of the old guys playing balls, or just random old hobo in the street that you can talk with, and hinting his commietard heart in the dialogue. the writers should have been able to pull it off. they are talented. i don't know what made this decision, either time/budget or some artistic decision i do not understand.

8/10 would be a fair score for it. would be 10/10 if not for the weaker final act. i do hope they make more games in the future, and it seems to be a small commercial hit already if it stay on the chart for the next several days. definitely replaying it soon.

i also like the go over with your old squadmates in the end. i really liked it. shame about the other ending parts

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I had my money on René actually
huh weird, i did not think it was rene (i would if he didn't just go die) but after meeting tgmhe deserter, i felt it would be better if it were rene, or the deserter is inside rene's circle of vets (obviously hiding, supressing his hatred towards the old loyalist)

Mortmal

Arcane
i liked his banter and confession moment, but i would love it more if he was a part of the main cast. maybe turn him into one of the old guys playing balls, or just random old hobo in the street that you can talk with, and hinting his commietard heart in the dialogue. the writers should have been able to pull
I'd say he is part of the main cast, all those bit info about the revolution ,the commune, the bombed streets, the things that happened before lingers in the atmosphere of the game. It surrounds you all the time . That last protagonist the veteran that's just some sort of avatar of it all. A manifestation of all revachol resentment against the coalition and grieving their lost ideals, the anomaly being the catalyzer, the last spark.

vota DC

Augur
I am in the Island and talked with the sniper. Never seen a single half life check, I have 1 physique but High shivers because hobocop. Shivers Is mostly passive but there are some active check, zero for half light both passive and active.

Prime Junta

I am in the Island and talked with the sniper. Never seen a single half life check, I have 1 physique but High shivers because hobocop. Shivers Is mostly passive but there are some active check, zero for half light both passive and active.

If you have high Physique, you will get Half-Light checks. Pretty frequently even. Most of the active ones won't show up unless you pass a threshold check.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

i noticed it because of my high AUT stat. When speaking with the history buff guy i just noticed the little writing in the interface

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The stuff about the pale is probably gonna be explored in robert kurvitz's novel, but i find it really great. Sublime even. Cracking the church case is one of the best moment in game.

It is also worth noting, if you pass inland empire check with the phasmid, she told you the pale didn't exist before humans came into being. It could be false because inland empire is emphasized to be harry's imagination (kind of think of it as logic, but done a bit of insanely. Alot of inland empire conversation seems like souped up facts he deduced from the environment or other information, like when he is speaking to the corpse. The problem is he wouldn't know that much about the pale, and it is pretty much where inland empire fiction is stronger than the facts)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
lol. yep.

Oh for chrissakes I can't skip the credits? Anyway, I skipped a couple things and I'm at about 31 hours. If I did everything the game had to offer I would have been at about 35 hours, I think, tops. They should have advertised this as a 40 hour game if they wanted to boast, not fucking 90.

Anyway, great experience! Ready to make a new build already.

Deleted member 7219

I've just completed my first playthrough. 22 hours, read all the plot text but skimmed through a lot of the extra fluff. My Harry was a sober fascist Good Cop superstar with high INT/PSY. I made friends with Kusaragi.

The firefight was a bit of a shitstorm, probably because of my low PHY/MOT, but I did my research into the armour and I managed to shoot the merc leader dead. It seems Kusaragi/the Hardie Boys took care of the rest with only a few losses.

I met up with my old squad at the end and they took me back. I did the cryptid mystery but I think a few things were left incomplete, including the locked doors in the Whirlwind Rags, could never get those to open. Also, I solved the 'mystery' of the old commercial building but it was a bit of a letdown and I'm not sure if there was more I should have found. I guess finding the weapon stash helped with some of the dialogue checks.

I'm very satisfied by the ending because I really got attached to Harry and wanted him to be redeemed.

Prime Junta

The stuff about the pale is probably gonna be explored in robert kurvitz's novel, but i find it really great. Sublime even. Cracking the church case is one of the best moment in game.

The Pale is a biiiig huge fucking deal. I think that's gonna be what the sequel is about, if they ever manage to scrape together the resources to make one.

---> another tangent with some shit from gossiping with them

These guys are stupidly, autistically serious about the worldbuiliding. It's almost like a parallel reality they've been living in for the past 15 years or more. It's more like they're exploring it and recording its history than creating it. This is to the point that it gave them problems making the game: they couldn't change anything about the worldbuilding even if they wanted to for whatever reason. F****tgate and Measurehead were partly impacted by this autism -- they couldn't just make up a slang word for faggot -- like "kipt" or "kojko" for example -- because that's not how they talk in Revachol. Same with Measurehead -- he had to be a Semenese (i.e., dark-skinned, Arab/African type), because that's the way the world works.

It's an entirely self-imposed massive restriction on what they're allowed to do. Whether it's fukken stupid or fukken awesome I leave it to the reader to decide (as you can probably guess what I think about it).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
The Pale is a biiiig huge fucking deal. I think that's gonna be what the sequel is about, if they ever manage to scrape together the resources to make one.
i dont know how some rag tag team of detective gonna solve the embodiment of entropy whatever it is. Maybe if they introduce some super scientist, or messiahs like dolores in the next game or whatever.

And yeah, it is pretty obvious if you pay attention, how fucking expansive is the game's world.

The reality lowdown with joyce is the *ooh* moment of how serious the worldbuilding is. Everything i noticed after that is just affirmations, little dots forming, lines connecting in the fog of war. Tidbits of info. But from those tidbits, i can peek underneath, into the foundation. It is just immense. I dont have time nor will to properly study and piece all the new terms, slangs, all the isolas and govermental bodies, Culture, etc. but at least what sticks on me does made the impression of a massive thought put into it.

I definitely want to see more. A game, a book, whatever is the medium. I really do want more from these guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom