Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

That's certainly weird. Wouldn't the saner option be to think, hey, it's a good game? Or are a couple of Estonians plotting a grand conspiracy to pay everyone to give them praise?
maybe everybody who plays it ends up raving about it because it's really good (dare I say great).
When it's fucking woke twitter hipsters raving about how this game "totally gets them" (i.e. "it's every bit as unsufferable as them"), the mind flies to Roguey and his "Disco Pretentious" or whatever he was calling it.

Deleted Member 16721

When it's fucking hipsters raving about how this game "totally gets them" (i.e. "it's every bit as unsufferable as them"), the mind flies to Roguey and his "Disco Pretentious" or whatever he was calling it.

Why? Who made you distrust the world? Why are you hurt? I'm here if you need me bro.

Btw, it's not pretentious at all. Really solid writing going on. Just got my full key.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Something funny I began noticing - in book and cinema circles too - when somebody calls something "pretentious" it's usually his way of coping with the fact he doesn't get it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
When it's fucking woke twitter hipsters raving about how this game "totally gets them" (i.e. "it's every bit as unsufferable as them"), the mind flies to Roguey and his "Disco Pretentious" or whatever he was calling it.

Then you don't know what pretentious means. I'll tell you what's pretentious. Stygian Reign of the Old Ones. A game which tries HARD to come off as "Lovecraftian". Disco is very authentic and it doesn't try hard to be anything, it just is.

But it's always people with bad taste who despise sophistication.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then you don't know what pretentious means. I'll tell you what's pretentious. Stygian Reign of the Old Ones. A game which tries HARD to come off as "Lovecraftian".

There's nothing pretentious about Lovecraft. It's just horror pulp.

Disco is very authenthic and it doesn't try hard to be anything, it just is.

:hmmm:

"Try hard" are two words that come to mind whenever I see a screenshot of writing from this thing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Roguey it seems too much PoE and Sawyer cock worship have permanently damaged your nervous system. If there is anything pretentious about this game it's the representation it got in the gaming media. Everyone is trying HARD to portray Disco as the next Planescape Torment or something. Notice it's not the game or its devs who're doing it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is interesting because I could easily have seen luj1 falling on the side of this game's haters. It's a combat-free story RPG. Maybe it was never about grognardy stuff like the number of classes and races after all, eh?

Last edited:
Then you don't know what pretentious means. I'll tell you what's pretentious. Stygian Reign of the Old Ones. A game which tries HARD to come off as "Lovecraftian". Disco is very authenthic and it doesn't try hard to be anything, it just is.

But it's always people with bad taste who despise sophistication.
Genuine question: why are you even trying to explain things to me as if I valued your opinion to ANY extent?
You must be one of the most delusional, constantly rabidly bitter, needlessly angry, whiny, full of shit users on this entire board.

I'm also not sure what the hell are you even supposed to know or understand about "sophistication", unless we are arguing about the all the nuances of autism.

P.S. Imagine thinking that "Lovecraftian" is some ideal pinnacle of literary standards to match, by the way.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

It's not pretentious if you pull it off. You may not like their aesthetic, but that doesn't make it a pretense, unless you think all artists and intellectuals are inherently full of shit. Although now that I say it, that certainly sounds in line with the, uh, völkisch sensibility that's so popular here.

Deleted Member 22431

Everyone is trying HARD to portray Disco as the next Planescape Torment or something. Notice it's not the game or its devs who're doing it.
It is not as if they were trying to dismiss these comparisons either, right?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm curious. Assuming that you haven't yet played the game or watched footage of it, how can you be so sure of this when all you have access to is the marketing material?

Deleted Member 22431

I find these comparisons between Disco Elysium and Planescape Torment so insulting to the first game. The game tried so hard to innovate and do its own thing only to be compared with an old infinite engine game. It is as if people had no ability to praise a game on its own merits and had to resort to superficial name dropping.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Try hard" are two words that come to mind whenever I see a screenshot of writing from this thing.

You are one of the few posters who liked Numanuma but at the same time one of the few posters who comes out against Hipster Delirium. Seems odd to call one pretentious while saying the other was alright. Maybe it was the alright kind of pretentious.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Check your literature skill then. There is nothing pretentious about the writing.

It could be said that the game is sesquipedalian, sometimes high-flown or grandiloquent. They use overly difficult words with intent. They mix real world languages and fictional in-universe vocabulary, so very often you'll be wondering if you are an ignoramus.

They are doing their own thing, consistently and with style. The writing is solid. Most people won't like it. That is probably intentional.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This is interesting because I could easily have seen luj1 falling on the side of this game's haters. It's a combat-free story RPG. Maybe it was never about grognardy stuff like the number of classes and races after all, eh?

Maybe the real minmaxing isn't about stats, but autistic friends we made along the way.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Why should they? They admitted PST was they favorite RPG - or at least Kurvitz's favorite RPG, also I said 3 years ago No Truce with the Furies has - definitely - potential to be new PST after I read few of their devblogs, because I noticed there they have understanding of what cRPG/vRPG is, and thus what its problems are.
ANd how could I not notice that if they wrote about that straight without beating around the bush. :lol:
They not only saw the problems of RPG genre, but also had new solution(s), and more than that - perfect execution of that solution.

So, I think it's very fair to say - it could be new PST in a way that for the firrst fucking time in last 20 years RPG genre will ADVANCED visibly.
Nto telling other people didn't want that and didn't do - Age of Decadence did that, but here in Disco Elysium it's very visible and palpable.

I'm curious. Assuming that you haven't yet played the game or watched footage of it, how can you be so sure of this when all you have access to is the marketing material?

By like - reading stuff ZA/UM people wrote for 3 years in devblog?
Didn't you learn to read and analize for these years?
What advantage the footage has that recorded on paper thoughts and ideas doesn't have?
In my opinion it's other way around - footage can be and IS often a lying bitch.

I find these comparisons between Disco Elysium and Planescape Torment so insulting to the first game. The game tried so hard to innovate and do its own thing only to be compared with an old infinite engine game. It is as if people had no ability to praise a game on its own merits and had to resort to superficial name dropping.

I made that comparison only because of one things - how much these game advanced the vRPG genre, PST already did that, while Disco Elysium has yet to prove it.
They are absolutely comparable in that.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

Why should they? They admitted PST was they favorite RPG - or at least Kurvitz's favorite RPG, also I said 3 years ago No Truce with the Furies has - definitely - potantion to be new PST after I read few of their devblogs, because I noticed there they have understanding of what cRPG/vRPG is, and thus what its problems are.
ANd how could I not notice that if they wrote about that straight without beating around the bush. :lol:
They not only saw the problems of RPG genre, but also had new solution, and more then that - perfect execution of that solution.

So, I think it's very fair to sey - it could be new PST in a way that for the firrst fucking time in last 20 years RPG genre ADVANCED visibly..
Because it will create unreasonable and needless expectations, which will result in backlash, butthurt and negative reviews. There is no need at all to mention PS:T. It is a superficial and dumb comparison fulled by fanboy logic. The game has its own thing and should aspire to be a standard in itself to future games. In fact, DE will only be memorable if it is not PS:Tish. That’s what the kick-starters such as PoE did to cash on nostalgia and they were all garbage.

Deleted Member 16721

Something funny I began noticing - in book and cinema circles too - when somebody calls something "pretentious" it's usually his way of coping with the fact he doesn't get it.

Word. What I don't get is what is so pretentious about it? I've played for 22 hours so far and have not thought once that the writing was pretentious or made by sniffers-of-their-own-farts. It's down to Earth, it's not even as pretentious as Planescape: Torment (which also wasn't that pretentious, I'm just sayin'.) I don't understand why the Disco Pretentious meme stuck. The writing is very solid, it's just good writing.

Fairfax

Arcane
luj1 That's from the game's Steam page:

Unprecedented freedom of choice. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.

Check your literature skill then. There is nothing pretentious about the writing.

It could be said that the game is sesquipedalian, sometimes high-flown or grandiloquent. They use overly difficult words with intent. They mix real world languages and fictional in-universe vocabulary, so very often you'll be wondering if you are an ignoramus.

They are doing their own thing, consistently and with style. The writing is solid. Most people won't like it. That is probably intentional.

Probably like Shadowrun's use of future slang as if you're expected to know it already to make it more immersive

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Because it will create unreasonable and needless expectations

For whom? For crowd? For mouthbreathers?
A fool is always a fool - he won't understand you at every your move.
Does that mean you need to stand still to not offend a fool?

They didn't throw that left and right to not aggravate imbecils, but should they lie it won't be new PST while in fact it very much could be?
It's selfhumiliation already, of a unhealthy kind.

It is a superficial and dumb comparison fulled by fanboy logic.

It's absolutely not - they have many, many things and qualities that make them similiar more with each other than with ANY other game(s).

Tigranes

Arcane
Communists sure are a lot better at marketing than Microsoft owned studios.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom