Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

Prime Junta

can we please stop referring to this game as the next planescape: torment? it's hipster tides of numenera, as confirmed by SEVERAL journalists and our very own Fluent.

Other than me and my main man Infinitron, who's referring to this game as the next planetscape: tournament?

and i STRONGLY SUSPECT he's being sarcastic about it

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
can we please stop referring to this game as the next planescape: torment? it's hipster tides of numenera, as confirmed by SEVERAL journalists and our very own Fluent.

Other than me and my main man Infinitron, who's referring to this game as the next planetscape: tournament?

Highly respected and monocled user Fluent compared it to Numenera, so I have to agree with that assessment.

Deleted Member 22431

Highly respected and monocled user Fluent compared it to Numenera, so I have to agree with that assessment.
Fluent loved both. That's like important.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Entertaining and annoying aren't mutually exclusive.

But their dev blog is pretentious, glazed with layers of irony.

14c7ad9b52bc78755cc7186b4aa602d989c3884a196c45eb9ebf258b7d720c3e_1.jpg

Prime Junta

while we’re shitposting

Rank the following premises in ascending order of pretension:

“What can change the nature of a man?”
“What does one life matter?”
“What kind of cop are you?”
“War. War never changes.”

Explain your ranking.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
tbh I wish more games were "pretentious" in this manner rather than pedestrian, assuming it's ever genuinely the case and not just a knee-jerk manner of trying to dismiss something that's shooting for the stars and doing it in style

I'm not detecting any air of pretend, the game seems to be an earnest labour of love and inspiration, it wears it on its sleeve, revels in it

being "inspired by" PST (an actual game!) is its saving grace, it's a recognition of some of the best vidya making tradition, and it was the more difficult route to take to deliver the game - were there legitimate claim to it being pretentious, it would "play" like KRZ aka not a game but some fucking bullshit with the nerve to think its shit is hot enough to suffer through without giving me any input FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Did you just tried to insult Kentucky Divine Grace Route Zero you illiterate motherfucker?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
while we’re shitposting

1 (least pretentious) - “What kind of cop are you?”
2 - “War. War never changes.”
3 - “What can change the nature of a man?”
4 (most pretentious) - “What does one life matter?”

1 is a simple question w/o insinuating anything, 2 is a general statement, 3 is entering pretentious territory, 4 is pretentious. Pretty sure Numenera came off as the most pretentious among these games. I'm suspecting that Roguey (who loved Numenera, ironically enough) either doesn't know what pretentious means, or simply doesn't get DE.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
while we’re shitposting

Explain your ranking.
"Arjalaisia en ammu. Mutta jos tulee joku muu..."
"Magnumit on täällä aina valmiina."
"En missään tapauksessa ole mikään natsipelle, vaikka näin kommunistit väittääkin."
"Me olemme suomalaisia patriootteja, uusnatseja, ja myöskin mustalaiset ovat arjalaisia."

Then the rest of the quotes you provided, interchangeably.

I'm honestly not sure why some people here seem to be under the impression that pretentiousness is intrinsically tied to "sophistication" and complexity, and that a distaste for it comes necessarily from "not getting it" rather than from being off-putted by its ostentatious nature.

More often than not this is about people who come off as the ones who love to smell their own farts and let anyone around savor the moment with them as well.
You know, like calling a fictional part of your protagonist's psyche "INLAND EMPIRE" because you are totally into David Lynch and if you were ANY more subtle about it someone may have not noticed.

I basically already decided I will buy and (time permitting) play this one as soon as it will be out, but I'm looking forward being impressed by some genuine sleek writing in every moment-to-moment dialogue, rather than the sort of ostentatious bullshit Resetera seem to be easily impressed about, like "turning white supremacy against the white man" (the audacity, what a corageous target in these days, aimirite guys?).

P.S. have yet to play the new Torment, but there's absolutely nothing wrong nor intrinsically "pretentious" about the question "What does a life matter", especially if the execution does not attempt to offer a definitive right answer to it and just explores the ramifications.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I'm honestly not sure why some people here seem to be under the impression that pretentiousness is intrinsically tied to "sophistication" and complexity, and that a distaste for it comes necessarily from "not getting it" rather than from being off-putted by its ostentatious nature.

More often than not this is about people who come off as the ones who love to smell their own farts and let anyone around savor the moment with them as well.
You know, like calling a fictional part of your protagonist's psyche "INLAND EMPIRE" because you are totally into David Lynch and if you were ANY more subtle about it someone may have not noticed.

I basically already decided I will buy and (time permitting) play this one as soon as it will be out, but I'm looking forward being impressed by some genuine sleek writing in every moment-to-moment dialogue, rather than the sort of ostentatious bullshit Resetera seem to be easily impressed about, like "turning white supremacy against the white man" (the audacity, what a corageous target in these days, aimirite guys?).

P.S. have yet to play the new Torment, but there's absolutely nothing wrong nor intrinsically "pretentious" about the question "What does a life matter", especially if the execution does not attempt to offer a definitive right answer to it and just explores the ramifications.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say bad things about INLAND EMPIRE or not, so fuck you just in case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom