Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Disco Elysium: Welcome to Revachol

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
9 hours to go, fuck you, game.

While waiting, I'll tell you a couple nazi anecdotes about Estonians and their slow temperament.

+++

“I told some Estonians guys that they’re slow.” “What did they do?” “Nothing. But they beat me up the following day.”

+++

A history teacher asks her students what the meaning of the three colours are in the Estonia flag. Tiit, the first to answer says, ”Blue is the colour of our beautiful sea that the Russians tried to pollute.” Toomas follows it up with, ”Black is our bountiful land, that the Russians are ruining.” Finally little Sergei insists, “Teacher can I answer one too?” “Very well,” says the teacher. “White is the snow that Estonians in Siberia didn’t properly sweep away. And if Tiit and Toomas don’t shut up, they’ll be sent there to finish the job.”

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov any chance for a physical / box version release?
Not right now. Might be something ZA/UM looks into down the line, but probably only as a collector's item or something.

[fanboi] I mean I would love if there was a physical artbook and or some overpriced posters: some of the artwork that Rostov and Anton did for the game is just phenomenal [/fanboi]

Prime Junta

Not right now. Might be something ZA/UM looks into down the line, but probably only as a collector's item or something.

[fanboi] I mean I would love if there was a physical artbook and or some overpriced posters: some of the artwork that Rostov and Anton did for the game is just phenomenal [/fanboi]

I'm in for an overpriced poster, at least if there's one that passes the wife filter.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

I'm in for an overpriced poster, at least if there's one that passes the wife filter.
You just add a custom frame like the infamous (in its time) Courbet - with a little curtain.
You can hack a raspberry to track your wife's phone, so when it is in the general area it stays closed.
Be sure to plug it in or have spare batteries at hand

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the way, this is an example of what I mean by pretentious
ss_fc6969799ebf19fd2a2c8a986c9419e053606a17.1920x1080.jpg

"Esprit de Corps" "Savoir Faire" "Guillaume le Million" "Les adventures du detective Closeau." A lot of gratuitous French in an English-language game to give it a veneer of sophistication, but "les adventures" gives him away as a fraud: it should be "les aventures," there's no d. Kurvitz in cartoon form:

asterix

Educated

"Esprit de Corps" "Savoir Faire" "Guillaume le Million" "Les adventures du detective Closeau." A lot of gratuitous French in an English-language game to give it a veneer of sophistication, but "les adventures" gives him away as a fraud: it should be "les aventures," there's no d. Kurvitz in cartoon form:

Not to say it doesn't have some out-there vocab, but esprit de corps and savoir faire are actual terms for things that don't have a succinct equivalent in English. Would you say a term like deja vu is pretentious as well, just 'cause it French? What about schadenfreude, to borrow from different languages?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Not to say it doesn't have some out-there vocab, but esprit de corps and savoir faire are actual terms for things that don't have a succinct equivalent in English. Would you say a term like deja vu is pretentious as well, just 'cause it French? What about schadenfreude, to borrow from different languages?
1) Camaraderie - derived from French but recognizable to most people!
2) Call it social grace or something similar

A lot of people know deja vu and schadenfreude because they've been well-memed in pop culture.

Prime Junta

That's all from the worldbuilding in his PnP game. It so happens that the major cultural power in the current century is Francophone. If it was set in some other century with a different major cultural power, presumably the loans would be different too.

I.e. pretentious it may be but it's not gratuitous -- no more than Josh's ekeras and gellardes anyway.

Stakhanov

Augur
Esprit de corps and savoir faire are hardly pretentious, they're relatively common expressions in English too. If these are the marks of pretentiousness in 2019, it speaks fucking badly.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Esprit de corps is a common theater and military term.
All RPG's are pretentious.
Fight me.

This actually looks worth playing assuming it isn't bug ridden shit.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Esprit de corps and savoir faire are hardly pretentious, they're relatively common expressions in English too.

If these are the marks of pretentiousness in 2019, it speaks fucking badly.

You haven't been following the convo brother... anything you can't comprehend or grasp mentally is a mark of pretentiousness in 2019. Much easier than admitting you're a dense, stunted plebeian :smug:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You want me to just repost the same message there or is that a problem?

I don't have much else to say, I'm more interested in lurking and reading the fallout once people actually play the game for more than 1 hour.

You shittty damb asshole trolle, go back the way you came.
Literally in the shit corner internet you came from.
Do you like my statement, piece of shit?
Eat shit shiteater.

I don’t know where you got the idea that you can only side with the union.

Because "it" (not he) is what I said above.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Esprit de Corps" "Savoir Faire" "Guillaume le Million"

In addition to what’s already been said about esprit de corps and savoir-faire (the former is not at all uncommon, the latter should be memorable because I made a great joke about it a couple years ago in the main thread), Guillaume le Million is the proper name of a famous disco musician not a francophone phrase.

Edit: Roguey do I really need to screenshot this?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom