Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea 5 Complete released on Steam

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Faster than expected.

ss_a68462e78cc3b7c24b43da38894f5ec9ca7142d0.600x338.jpg

ss_f40be153bf36678c079a98cb61fcb0f9d1f6f863.600x338.jpg

In a universe ruled by Overlords, only one shall prevail!

Disgaea 5 Complete tells a tale of revenge and rebellion. As a new and terrible Overlord named Void Dark seeks to enslave the countless Netherworlds, one young demon has stood to end his reign—Killia. In Disgaea 5 Complete, lead Killia and his tenacious army of rebels on their dark and dangerous path to vengeance. Filled with more over-the-top action and hilarious writing than ever before, Disgaea 5 Complete’s damage numbers are surely headed for the record books.

Disgaea 5 Complete
is a strategy RPG that offers hundreds of hours of over-the-top, award-winning gameplay. The game includes all 8 bonus scenarios, 4 fan-favorite characters, and 3 character classes that were originally DLC in the PlayStation®4 release of Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance.

Aim for the top in this crazy, nonstop strategy RPG of ridiculous proportions!

KEY FEATURES

The Complete Disgaea5 Experience - Enjoy the full Disgaea 5 story along with 8 bonus scenarios, 4 fan-favorite characters and 3 character classes from the Disgaeaseries!

A Legendary RPG Series Reborn - The latest flagship RPG from the most prolific strategy RPG developer in the world welcomes newcomers and veterans alike with a brand-new story and dials the hilarity and strategy up to level 9999!

Hundreds of Hours of Content - Following Disgaea tradition, Disgaea 5 Complete offers hundreds of hours of deep strategic content.

Deep Strategic Battles - Engage in exciting tactical battles with inventive systems like Magichange, Geo Effects, Alliance Attacks, Character Towers and more!

Extensive and Fun Customization - Recruit new units from over 40 jobs and races, then dive in and strengthen them as you see fit in their personal Chara Worlds! Find hundreds of items or make your own at the Alchemist, then power them up and discover hidden abilities in the Item World! Or, if you’re feeling wild, change the rules of the game at the Dark Assembly! The possibilities are endless!

jungl

Augur
I dont know why they market the disagea games as strategic. They about as strategic as the the super robot srpgs. There is none, grind and you win.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I dont know why they market the disagea games as strategic. They about as strategic as the the super robot srpgs. There is none, grind and you win.
You choose which waifu to take with you,what more strategy do you need?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That depends on the method you use though. If you grind aimlessly, you won't win the optional stuff, you'll die, your descendants will die, and probably also whatever machine your save file is on will die at some point too.

Disgaea is strategic in the sense that you need to plan things ahead of time in order to be even remotely efficient.

Though the genre is general would be better served by the term 'tactical' to be sure. But the same could be said of most 'strategy' games.

mushaden

Scholar
Do these games have terrain (high ground) benefits like Final Fantasy Tactics?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How many patches before a NISA game is actually playable though???

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm confused at the people talking about D2 not being on PC. What is this then:

Noticed it the other day as it's on 50% off at the minute.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Good news, although I am butthurt that back in the day customary Vita complete version was skipped. Can't wait for this to be 40€ or something.

Damned Registrations

Do these games have terrain (high ground) benefits like Final Fantasy Tactics?
Yeah no terrain doesn't matter at all in this series, except when it makes you completely invulnerable, triples xp gain, kills you at the end of the turn, creates clones of characters, or makes your enemies exponentially more powerful with time. Mostly you can just ignore it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I actually think this was the best Disgaea of the series, even after having finished it, including the post-game grind. (Everyone thinks the newest Disgaea is the best when they first begin playing it, but after is a different story.)

That said, I was and remain apocalyptically butthurt about the nerfed map editor on PS4 only in the West. It probably won't be nerfed in the Steam version, but you never know.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't follow the series closely, just played 1 and 2. Does 5 actually add something meaningful? Because I remember 2 being pretty much the same game as 1 with different maps and main characters.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In my opinion, 1 and 2 were pretty primitive gameplay-wise compared to D2, 4, and 5. 3 had the shittest and most obnoxious story and characters, and in retrospect I hate it, but it's when some of the more advanced mechanics (like Class World; I was posting on the GameFAQs board when Puppy Paw Stick duping was discovered and helped to test it, now I think of it) were introduced.

I'm not going to list every new feature, partly because it's been awhile since I've played, but also because a simple search should reveal suitable comparisons/feature lists. It's safe to say generally that there's a lot more meat, more complexity, and more to do in 5.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In terms of story and characters, I like Disgaea, Disgaea D2, and Disgaea 5. Laharl, Etna, and Flonne are good characters with excellent voice actors, pitch-perfect personalities for the setting, and fun interplay. The D5 crew really surprised me. I actually liked them almost as much as the originals, and that feeling hasn't faded.

D2's cast are just ho-hum, in my opinion. D3's cast are actively repellent to me and I've never been a fan of the school theme in Japanese media to boot, so that doesn't help. The characters are obnoxious in a bad way and forgettable. Probably a lot was lost in translation to English.

I remember thinking D4's cast were pretty okay, but they did the opposite of grow on me, and I like them less and less each time a new Disgaea game reminds me of them.

Laharl is by far my favorite character because he (voiced by a she) is obnoxious, overbearing, overblown, pigheaded, foolish, and rude in just the correct way to be fun and amusing. Also, he demonstrates why animetard "purists" who insist on original Japanese voices in absolutely everything are often just having a circlejerk. Sometimes, the English voice actors are very good and much better at conveying a tone that resonates with people who aren't Japanese.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Disgaea 2's cast are too much of a standard anime archetypes, didn't care for them much and haven't finished the game myself.

Disgaea 1's cast were more creative and fits the tone of the setting more.

Aren't the SRW games more similar to fire emblem, mechanically?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aren't the SRW games more similar to fire emblem, mechanically?
No, not really. From what I've played, SRW is very much focused on getting the biggest numbers from the highest damage skills. It's more focused on energy/mana management and a lot of the terrain is open, flat, and featureless.

They also (I believe) have this dodging/block mechanic where you can choose to counterattack with a chance of dodge, try to outright dodge, or just take the hit at guaranteed reduced damage. There's a lot of minor differences like that. It's also not particularly hard.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh hell yeah, this is awesome. Heard good things about 5.

The last Disgaea game I played was 2, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Damned Registrations

I look forward to immense butthurt over 59 fps and an inability to set in game gamma or somesuch.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I look forward to immense butthurt over 59 fps and an inability to set in game gamma or somesuch.

I doubt it will matter to people nearly as much in a sprite-based, turn-based, top-down game; and anyway, 60 FPS is still considered acceptable. At most there will be a bit of grumbling. 30 FPS remains the true smoke point.

Still and all, when a huge chunk of PC gamers own monitors and GPUs that support much higher refresh rates, when almost every other made-for-PC game from the past decade-plus supports refresh rates >60 FPS, and when the reasons for 60 FPS lock are the developers' ignorance of how to accommodate higher refresh rates and/or their shortsightedness in tying game performance to refresh rate because they designed exclusively for consoles, it can be slightly annoying.

Just about every other PC game effortlessly manages to support 120+ Hz, even shitty indie games. Japanese console-to-PC ports have been a thing for a good long while now, and increasing with frequency and popularity every year. They're fucking Japanese and they can't figure out how to computer? That's like an American being unable to figure out how to shoot guns or eat burgers. It's just silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom